INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE

2 posters

Go down

CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE Empty CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE

Post by manymoonsago Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:30 am

Background: For several reasons, I need to once again subscribe to a US-cell phone service provider. Besides offering non-roaming service here in Mx, the service must also cover East Maui, Hawai`i, and this limits my choices to Verizon or AT&T. (Changing sim cards is not the solution as I need, among other things, to receive text messages from certain business connections that do not send text messages to foreign telephone numbers.) I have researched Verizon and AT&T sites and I am awaiting reports back from East Maui as to coverage by those two providers along the Hana Highway, Hana, and south of Hana.

Question: Does anyone here at the Lake have experience using US-based Verizon or AT&T service plans in this part of Mexico. If so, your opinions re which offers the best coverage, speed, etc. would be most appreciated. (I will be using a large capacity IPhone 6s-plus and plan to purchase - at minimum - the Verizon XL or AT&T 15GB monthly plan so I am more concerned with coverage and speed than cost.)

My Concern: A few years ago, Verizon oddly did not provide coverage through a swath of central Mexico. At the time, this was a fortunate lack because it allowed me to cancel my US based plan with them without incurring cancellation charges. AT&T provides a map of their voice and data coverage for this area; Verizon does not seem to provide a similar map for Mexico although they do have maps for areas other than Mexico..
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE Empty Re: CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE

Post by Bajabrady Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I use Verizon still. I have a free 500/500 min text plus 1gb data. Calls to me from the states are local I think calls to the states are local. My bill never changes. Local Chapala calls are roaming and I get great service when I was in baja all up around to Jalisco. It seems to grab the telcel signal. Sometimes Movistar. But as long as you can pick up telcel you're good. Data is usually lte. But I only kept it because the free two year Mexico roaming. I think it's a 25/month plan. But Verizon is making Mexico Canada changes so it's a crap,shoot into what plan is the best

Bajabrady
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Keep it Clean :)

Back to top Go down

CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE Empty Re: CHOOSING US-BASED CELL PHONE SERVICE

Post by manymoonsago Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks Bajabrady. Sounds like Verizon now reaches Lake Chapala via Telcel.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down