INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Printer/scanner

+5
gringal
la luna
Clueless
tictoc
Grizzy
9 posters

Go down

Printer/scanner Empty Printer/scanner

Post by Grizzy Sat May 23, 2015 9:31 am

I have a four year old HP printer/scanner that seems to have clogged printing heads. I understand they are built in to the ink cartridges? I have installed new factory cartridges, cleaned the heads etc but the thing just goes through the motions, paper spools through, ink jets move back and forth but nothing comes out.
Is it worth trying to have it fixed? My experience with printers is three or four years, then junk them, especially in this dry dusty climate. I have kept it covered and in a cupboard but nothing seems to get it printing.

Advice? Thanks. smash comp
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Printer/scanner Empty Re: Printer/scanner

Post by tictoc Sat May 23, 2015 10:42 am

IMO when a printer is have big problems just get a new one. With the price of ink, you can get a printer with "setup" (usually have a little bit more ink) ink cartridges for just a little over what replacing all the ink costs. ymmv

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat May 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Unless you really need color, you might want to look into a LASER printer.

Ink cartridges, especially HP, are one of the biggest rip-offs around.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by la luna Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:42 am

If you did not buy a new one, I would recommend to have it cleaned. I had the same problem with mine when I used refilled cartridges. The place next to the old post office did it for $200. I has been good eversince--three years now and no more problem.

The thing is now I can't find a new cartridge for it any more. My printer is a 1315 all-in-one Hp which needs a #56 or I believe a #28 would be compatible. Walmart does not keep them any more and the place at Bugamvillia is closed. Any idea where I can find them in the area?

la luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 am

if anyone has an old lexmark,i have a colour and black cartriges still in the box
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:04 pm

la luna wrote:If you did not buy a new one, I would recommend to have it cleaned. I had the same problem with mine when I used refilled cartridges. The place next to the old post office did it for $200. I has been good eversince--three years now and no more problem.

The thing is now I can't find a new cartridge for it any more. My printer is a 1315 all-in-one Hp which needs a #56 or I believe a #28 would be compatible. Walmart does not keep them any more and the place at Bugamvillia is closed. Any idea where I can find them in the area?

Costco, Sam's or Office Depot in Guad.
I think I might pick up a cheap printer NOB and bring extra cartridges down. I might try cleaning this one myself.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by la luna Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for the info, Grizzy. I just checked here and they sell brand new Epson for $420 where we can fill up the ink ourselves. The new Hp cartridge to order would cost me $500. What a joke those Hp have become. Not only they dry up if I don't use it for two months, but they rip you off when you want to replace it.

Good luck with your printer.

la luna

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Hola,
I just bought a EpsonXP211 at Walmart which includes a scanner/copier/FAX for less than $1500pesos. It's a gem, prints fast and the color is good for the price.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by la luna Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:59 pm

Gringal, how much are the cartridges in black for your Epson? Can I use only black?

Are they available at Walmart? hp used to be, but (I don't know why) they don't have them in Mexico anymore. Even in Guad, they sell the reconstituted ones or they refill them, which is bad because after the third refill, the printer heads need to be cleaned.

The quote on my Epson L355 at $420 is wrong. I just realized now that it should be $4200. It's obvious they made a mistake on the box. Yours at $1500 is a good deal if we don't get into the same problems with the cartridge.

la luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:45 pm

used to remove the cartridges, pitthem in a thick ziplock amd store in the fridge between uses. They lasted marginally longer.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:31 pm

la luna wrote:What a joke those Hp have become. Not only they dry up if I don't use it for two months, but they rip you off when you want to replace it.  <snip>  

Totally agree on H/P.. My mom has a H/P 6800 and she mostly prints Black only but if any of the color cartridges do run out it forces you to buy color again. Won't allow you to print even in BLACK only until color is restored. That's just freakin WRONG !
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:53 pm

la luna wrote:Gringal, how much are the cartridges in black for your Epson? Can I use only black?

Are they available at Walmart? hp used to be, but (I don't know why) they don't have them in Mexico anymore. Even in Guad, they sell the reconstituted ones or they refill them, which is bad because after the third refill, the printer heads need to be cleaned.

The quote on my Epson L355 at $420 is wrong. I just realized now that it should be $4200. It's obvious they made a mistake on the box. Yours at $1500 is a good deal if we don't get into the same problems with the cartridge.

I bought an extra black one, but don't remember the price. Next time I'm at Wallyworld, I'll check it and report.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:40 am

Please note for all, especially HP.

If you buy an HP printer NOB, you may find the cartridges, even same number, bought in Mx will NOT work; ditto in reverse.

I made a big issue with all of the crap with HP cartridges and they finally decided to quiet the squeeking wheel.

One more thing of interest, and you can check this yourself.

This is one example, and I may have said it before, so excuse the duplication.

An HP #122 bought NOB has nore ink than a HP #122 bought in MX. If you don't believe me and can't find it online, I still have the cartridges to prove it.

Enough said.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:59 am

i bet they both wipe equally clean with single ply toilet paper.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Sigh Some ink jet printers print color cheaper than color lasers contrary to what people say. They are called off axis ink printers where the print heads are separated from the separate ink tanks. You replace the ink only. These cost more money than the AIO 100 buck units you see that people love and I would not touch with a ten foot pole. So you either pay for ink or you pay more for a printer. Yes if you want black and white only lasers are best. A couple of units are for sale these days come with wifi printing which is nice for your portable tablets and such. I know they have a pile of HP b and w lasers a few weeks ago at Costco and those have wifi printing. I also like the samsung b and w lasers. HP outsells all other printers so of course one will see more problems with HP. You have to look at problems per unit not problems per brand. None of these companies are what I would call consumer friendly. Pay or you will pay. High volume printing pay more low volume printing pay less. I have a six year old AIO printer made for an office and it works fine and has replaceable parts. Best Buy in Guad has a nice supply of higher end AIO printers of various brands for you HP haters.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 pm

i bought a cheap canon at wally and it's better than my lexmark was
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tekno Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Welcome to our disposable society and inkjet printing.

Inkjets MUST be used regularly or the heads clog and most often will never be the same again. The heads can be in the cartridge or on printer but usually on printer.

The manufacturers know this and they know you will probably first buy an overpriced print cartridge before you find out the heads are clogged (or some other issue because you bought a disposable printer). Later they know you will  have a useless print cartridge and have to buy a new printer still

Lasers ARE cheaper when you factor in the frequency of replacing inkjet printers and print cartridges . Lasers print thousands of pages per cartridge and most inkjets print hundreds p[er cartridge.

tekno

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 am

One exception Tekno and that is larger more expensive color office inkjets compared to color lasers are cheaper.  They have seperate printheads and very elaborate cleaning cycles. Got one here and its over six years old and on its original printheads. Note also ink comes in very large containers.  I agree most inkjets are for low end quantity printing and only if color is important.  Black and White lasers are best bang per buck. Ink Jet has its place and nothing uncomplicated about color lasers.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down