INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catastrophic health insurance

3 posters

Go down

Catastrophic health insurance Empty Catastrophic health insurance

Post by merry Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:25 pm

So, I'm as healthy as a horse, I'm under 60, and I expect to live into my 90's. I'm trying to do some planning for my return to Lakeside.

I've had an expensive Blue Cross policy for years that pays only 50% in Mexico (out of network). It also has a humongous deductible that I have never, ever come close to meeting. Obviously this has been a policy for catastrophic health problems only, knock on wood.

I would like to replace it with another policy for catastrophic health problems, one that will pay more than 50% and also cost less. Any recommendations as to who I should contact to get quotes?

I've also recently become aware that Seguro Popular is available even though I'm under 60, and might be a good backup plan for anything my catastrophic plan doesn't cover. Can a person have both Seguro Popular AND a catastrophic health plan?

Thanks in advance, amigos!
Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Catastrophic health insurance Empty Re: Catastrophic health insurance

Post by Rolly Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm

"Can a person have both Seguro Popular AND a catastrophic health plan? "
Yes, but you should carefully checkout Seguro Popular before you enroll. Their coverage is limited and may not cover what you want.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lobita Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 am

An important point is that health insurance in Mexico works completely differently from insurance in the U.S.

In the U.S., deductibles are per calendar year. In Mexico, deductibles are per illness.

To give a basic example (not taking copays and caps into account):

If you have a US$5000 deductible on a U.S. plan and you are diagnosed with cancer in October, you will pay $5000 through December 31 and then another $5000 starting January 1, and another $5000 for every year thereafter that you receive treatment. However, if you have a heart attack in November, you're still only out $5000 per year.

If you have a MX$50,000 deductible on a Mexico plan and you are diagnosed with cancer in October, you will pay the first $50,000 as it is incurred, and then nothing more ever for cancer treatment for the rest of your life. However, if you have a heart attack in November, you would owe the first $50,000 incurred for your heart problem as well, despite the fact that it's the same calendar year.

It makes for some unfamiliar risk calculations ...
lobita
lobita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down