INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deciding on moving to Lakeside

+35
CHILLIN
BobC
Pedro
Sideways
lobita
Lady Otter Latté
viajero
Playaboy
snowyco
itsme
juanrey
Gamina
Luisa
hockables
oncesubtle
Fastfox
Tony_In_Mexico
JayBear
sparks
solajijic
espíritu del lago
Jerry00
coffeeguy
Grizzy
Zedinmexico
Mainecoons
Sunnyvmx
Flamingo
CheenaGringo
zenwoodle
CanuckBob
LaChula
Chapalagringa
brigitte
pamarie
39 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Deciding on moving to Lakeside - Page 3 Empty Re: Deciding on moving to Lakeside

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:19 pm

CanuckBob wrote:You should read a few more of the replies to see if you are comparing apples to apples. The original OP had a long list of requirements to cover with her $1200 per month. Rent was a small factor. Do you also have a maid, gardener, vehicle, pets and medical insurance payments that you are covering for that $900 per month? If so that is quite impressive.

I didn't read more replies, but I did read the original post. I pay for a maid (twice a week), gas, internet, phone. I have Seguro Popular. That left gardener, pets, and car. I figured her extra $300 a month should easily cover that, especially as there are many places down here which include gas, internet, phone, and often more, as part of the rent, and that rent can be even less than what I pay, as I have a larger place. Don't get me wrong, I live simply. I don't eat out, I don't go to movies or other entertainment. On the rare occasions when I need to get somewhere like Ajijic, which I try to avoid, I'll get a ride with a friend or take the bus. A treat for me is an iced coffee downtown, which I can usually manage once or twice a week, and a burger at the Legion on Sunday. It's not ideal by any means, but it can be done. The last couple of years I was in the states, I was living in my car. When I finally managed to get my disability, it wasn't even enough to move out of my car. So I consider every day in Mexico, in my beautiful home, to be a blessing.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Deciding on moving to Lakeside - Page 3 Empty Re: Deciding on moving to Lakeside

Post by oncesubtle Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Good for you Tony!
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:27 pm

You do not need to be permanent resident to get IMSS or Seguro Popular. You can get private health insurance with a $5000US deductible for about $1100 a year. Please don't scare this lady with "facts" you are not sure about.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:05 am

Gamina wrote:You do not need to be permanent resident to get IMSS or Seguro Popular.  You can get private health insurance with a $5000US deductible for about $1100 a year.  Please don't scare this lady with "facts" you are not sure about.

I told her she could get Seguro Popular. I don't think she can now get IMSS on a tourist visa.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:59 am

Pamarie you are getting a lot of good response to your OP and if you have been reading this forum for any time, you will see the people are friendly, willing to help and opinionated.  Which is not a bad thing.
Two points I wanted to chime in on are Medicare and Buying a House.

Medicare, no sense in opting out because if something catastrophic were to happen down here, your medical might wipe you out.  Maintaining Medicare at ~ $ 100/mo as a backup to significant medical condition could be very worthwhile.  You can get private medical insurance here, but it is not cheap.  IMSS & Seguro popular may be of some help, but you need to really research them.

Buying - does not sound like a good option for you based on the facts you presented.  You already know that the real estate market is very iliquid and you stated that your nestegg savings is limited.  You want to preserve your nestegg for potential emergencies over a long period of time and tying that money up in a house does not give you a good option.  If you had an emergency and were forced to sell quickly you could end up losing.

You sound like you are taking a great approach to identifying options and alternatives and developing a plan.  That says you are ahead of most in the planning department.  When the time is right, come down and see how you like it.  Visit in both the hot / dry season & the rainy season, they are very different.  If you like it, come down and try it for a year.  As Hocks says, it isn't for everyone, but based on what you have described about yourself and you circumstance you can probably have a nice life down here and still stay within your means.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:13 am

juanrey wrote:Pamarie you are getting a lot of good response to your OP and if you have been reading this forum for any time, you will see the people are friendly, willing to help and opinionated.  Which is not a bad thing.
Two points I wanted to chime in on are Medicare and Buying a House.

Medicare, no sense in opting out because if something catastrophic were to happen down here, your medical might wipe you out.  Maintaining Medicare at ~ $ 100/mo as a backup to significant medical condition could be very worthwhile.  You can get private medical insurance here, but it is not cheap.  IMSS & Seguro popular may be of some help, but you need to really research them.

Buying - does not sound like a good option for you based on the facts you presented.  You already know that the real estate market is very iliquid and you stated that your nestegg savings is limited.  You want to preserve your nestegg for potential emergencies over a long period of time and tying that money up in a house does not give you a good option.  If you had an emergency and were forced to sell quickly you could end up losing.

You sound like you are taking a great approach to identifying options and alternatives and developing a plan.  That says you are ahead of most in the planning department.  When the time is right, come down and see how you like it.  Visit in both the hot / dry season & the rainy season, they are very different.  If you like it, come down and try it for a year.  As Hocks says, it isn't for everyone, but based on what you have described about yourself and you circumstance you can probably have a nice life down here and still stay within your means.

Excellent advice.  I would only add to come down in the winter, basically Nov-mid Jan.  It can be quite chilly and some dreary days.  We have no heating, so we wear warm clothes and use space heaters ( very expensive if electric) and just when we are tired of wearing sweats, it starts to warm up.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am

I know a woman who gets just about 500 US/month. I believe she may supplement that on occasion by house/pet sitting. She lives in a nice compound in Chapala in a casita which is fully and nicely furnished. She does not have not need a car as she is about a block from the bus stop, but does have a dog. Her rent each month is 4000 pesos, gardener is included, doesn't need a maid. I think her electric is a bit more than 200 pesos every 2 months, do not know what cable or telephone is, she also has a cell phone. Telmex does have a program for phone and internet for about 390, may have some deal with cable also, do not know.
Is it doable? Yes, but probably without many luxuries. As for me, I would not put my money in a house, one never knows if the need to return to the US will happen or if $$ is needed for a health emergency, ins or not. It will also provide a bit of income so you are able to travel a bit.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry00 Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

Good luck on living on 500.00 dollars a month.

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 am

Jerry00 wrote:Good luck on living on 500.00 dollars a month.  

She does, but if she is in a bad position if any health issues arise.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyco Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 am

espíritu del lago wrote:I wonder how well a Mexican family could live on 1200.. A month?

This points to a really good concept for living anywhere as a foreigner,  but especially in the Lake Chapala area.    If you want the muchacha y mozo, (maid and gardener/painter/maintenance-guy),  and you want all the toys and goodies from back home in the USA or Canada  (stuff that costs at least 30% more),  then $1,200 a month slices the mortadella pretty thin.   If you live like a Mexican, lay-off electronics-goodies and the latest or unnecessary NOB stuff, and keep fine dining out to once or twice a month,  $1,200 works.

snowyco

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:03 pm

I know a lady that lived for over a decade on $11,000 a year as a trust baby.  She had a place on the beach and lived a nice fulfilling life

Being a outgoing blond women, she didn't have to buy any of her adult beverages Beer Beer

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 pm

How many of those adult beverages did you buy?

drunk 
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Bottles and Bottles and worth every penny

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Funny guys! I hear there are tons of single women for you men to pick from living at Lakeside, but also the single men there want to be with a young Mexican woman instead! LOL!!! Don't you just hate generalizations!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 pm

A fair number of men prefer Mexican ladies to gringas for a variety of reasons. I am not sure I would want to live with a Mexican family as eventually the family will move in laugh out loud.  I would stay with Gringas if I was looking for a lady. Lived too long with too large a house to adjust to the anarchy that is a Mexican house at least what I have seen in Ajijic. I don't think a Mexican lady would be happy with me either to be fair. Yep Generalizations for sure but seen it over and over.  You might start by yourself and partner but I bet someone will move in within a year and I doubt if a Gringo could stop it due to cultural reasons. 

Others obviously might have different results and I know many folks happy with Mexican spouse but I sure would want to know the facts before trying a Mexican partner on.  You do marry the family almost all the time unless you want to be jerk and keep all that space to yourself.  Lots of room in the typical gringo home laugh out loud.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:07 pm

I wrote up a repsonse about Medicare, IMSS and private insurance as options for myself and what I learned from the Social security office but it failed to post so I'll try it again.

IMSS no longer allows a single woman to sign up at least this is what Pat was told when she went in to renew it for herself. She also got it with out being a permanent resident. They allowed her to sign up for it becuase shes had it for years now, but they won't accept a new single person on that insurance plan. Also IMSS is not great from things I've read on it, but it's better than nothing.

Social Security Medicare won't kick in for me until I'm 65 so I have plenty of time to weigh the option of paying for it or opting out of it. From my perspective, I will most likely opt out of it if I decide to live out my life in MX because there is just no point in paying all that extra expense on the "what if's" should I need it or need to move back to the States when I will also have to buy insurance while living there. After going to the Social Security office in researching when to retire, I found out that one can opt out and then start later on if they want to, there will be an additional $50. penalty fee to the payment I would normally have to make so it's not like one can never have it if they opt out. Besides when you consider that Medicare isn't enough one has to always buy supplemental insurance on top of it that brings the cost up much higher so I just don't see the value in having that extra bill. If a life threatening illness or some catastropic health issue were to happen there are so many logistical aspects to deal with, that I don't really see how it works out to have medicare to fall back on as a safety net if you are living in MX when it happens!

I have lived for about 10 years without any medical insurance and have been very fortunate to have good health so far, but of course I realize as I age that can change and lets face it most likely it will! But I just don't know if it's worth paying for it when I would be settling down in a country where I can't use it when my income would be pretty low. Seems nuts to be paying out more on medical insurances between MX private insurance and Medicare plus the supplemental insurance required when you have medicare, than my rent would be! All to have a safety net for here in the States, nope just makes no sense to me.....

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Very Happy My impression of the Mexican family dynamics is that it's an open door policy and the male rules the roost. So that wouldn't ever work for me personally speaking, I'm too independent as a woman and have been the master of my own ship for too long to submit to that sort of relationship. I love celebrating and gatherings no doubt but I need my serenity and space too. I will enjoy the festivities in MX without a doubt as I'm fascinated by people and traditions, will love hearing people having fun together for sure. That said though I couldn't live with a ton of family members, my patience for that would run out quickly! This is why I prefer a pet dog over a roommate :) LOL!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Zedinmexico wrote: I am not sure I would want to live with a Mexican family as eventually the family will move in laugh out loud.    You might start by yourself and partner but I bet someone will move in within a year and I doubt if a Gringo could stop it due to cultural reasons. 
I've been very happily married to a Mexican woman for 8 years,her family has never imposed on me in any way,on the contrary,they have welcomed me, accepted me and helped me out whenever I've asked them.

Last edited by viajero on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:34 pm

viajero wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote: I am not sure I would want to live with a Mexican family as eventually the family will move in laugh out loud.    You might start by yourself and partner but I bet someone will move in within a year and I doubt if a Gringo could stop it due to cultural reasons. 

Viajero says
I've been very happily married to a Mexican woman for 8 years,her family has never imposed on me in any way,on the contrary,they have welcomed me, accepted me and helped me out whenever I've asked them,their trust didn't happen overnight,I earned it over time.

I am so glad to hear that and I mean that.  I can say some of my friends cannot report the same. Did you end up with any cultural problems?  Who tends to give in a conflict?  I didn't get married til I was 55 so I maybe not so good an example of Gringo.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm

pamarie wrote: Very Happy My impression of the Mexican family dynamics is that it's an open door policy and the male rules the roost.  So that wouldn't ever work for me personally speaking, I'm too independent as a woman and have been the master of my own ship for too long to submit to that sort of relationship.  I love celebrating and gatherings no doubt but I need my serenity and space too. I will enjoy the festivities in MX without a doubt as I'm fascinated by people and traditions, will love hearing people having fun together for sure. That said though I couldn't live with a ton of family members, my patience for that would run out quickly! This is why I prefer a pet dog over a roommate :) LOL!  

Wonder if difference between male and female in this instance.  Viajero was very positive in his comments. Mexico is for Males????I do know for a fact much of the very remote  caribbean is male dominated. My wife couldn't even go to a bar in some of the more remote areas we visited.  (Dominica near Martinique)

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Getting off topic here a bit but just for the sake of my own curiosity, my impression is there seems to be many Expat men there like Viajero so I'm happy for those that found their soulmates there but it seems more that expat men marry young native Mexican women than dating and settling down with an expat woman they could meet, would you say that is true? If so why would that be? Just curious although honestly I'm not coming to MX to meet someone to marry, I was married for 17 years and it didn't work out been divorced for so long that I can't imagine ever getting married again. What's the point in it!? I don't need someone to take care of me, I'm too independent for that and I don't want to compromise like one has to in a marriage. I'll stick with pet boxer! Best kind of love, she has no agenda! LOL!!!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm

pamarie wrote: Very Happy My impression of the Mexican family dynamics is that it's an open door policy  
Where did you get that impression?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyco Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Some American women are anti-traditional roles. Mexican women seem to enjoy having a door opened or an umbrella offered, and enjoy getting drop-off and pick-up service at doors versus walking for blocks to and from parking. Men's testosterone does make lifting and hauling heavy objects a bit easier. Now, setting the stereotypes aside, my Mexican wife and I have been together for 10 years, and we consistently put each other first. We've never had any problems with family, nor any family living with us, except for my American daughter for a few years. My wife's very close to her mom and to her daughter, which means I got a 3-fer in a good wife, good daughter and a great suegra. For people who get it, love is not a zero-sum game. A loving heart and a loving home have plenty of room to welcome others.

snowyco

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:09 pm

"my impression is there seems to be many Expat men there like Viajero so I'm happy for those that found their soulmates there but it seems more that expat men marry young native Mexican women than dating and settling down with an expat woman they could meet, would you say that is true?"

I got this impression from American women that live at Lakeside after perusing some blogs. I like what you wrote snowyco. Marriage is a give n take, it's never 50-50 but its what every good marriage strives for! Based on my own experience I believe the key to a beautiful and harmonious marriage takes complete honesty with a sense of humillity and always, always putting the one you love before yourself but it doens't work when it's one sided. I was a radical feminist in my late 20's - 30's but realize that was just part of finding myself but I always loved being treated like a lady nonetheless! Chivalry hasn't died for all us American women believe me! Most of women in age group wish it was back full circle. One thing is certain there are a lot of expat women there to befriend and that is really awesome to me as a single woman moving to a foreign country!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Deciding on moving to Lakeside - Page 3 Empty Renting vs. Buying

Post by Fastfox Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:41 pm

pamarie wrote:Thank you Fastfox for the valueable feedback specially since you were a former real estate agent.  How long were you an agent in Lakeside and why did you stop being one, was it because it wasn't lucrative for you?  I think buying a house would only give me a sense of security in that it's mine, a stable foundation to know I always have a place to live, but the cost of ownership comes with a price of upkeep and maintenance, taxes and not being able to be a permanent resident because of MX new rules and laws is a huge deterrent for me, as it makes no sense to buy property there under those circumstances. So renting is really the only thing that makes any sense at least for awhile.  If the laws were to change to a lower income for a foreigner to have permanent residency than I would definitely reconsider this option if I would have the funds to buy at that point in time. With the baby boomers expected to move to the area I doubt the laws will change though.

I was never an agent in Lakeside. I was an agent in the US. However, I think my logic still applies. I am retired now. My assessment is strictly based on math. You can make your own calculations. Total acquisition costs, maintenance, taxes, etc. versus how many years you could rent for that cost and then there is the ease at which you can move-but I digress, as that is not math, but a different benefit.

We are home owners and it is still not cheap, EVEN with no mortgage. Now that doesn't mean home ownership doesn't have real value for many other reasons.
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Fastfox, I would only buy property at Lakeside to secure a roof over my head, and if it's in move in ready condition, affordable as I see owning as an investment of having a roof over my head that can't be taken away from me or having to deal with landlords putting limits on things I would want to do in the place. The biggest reason is not having to move or worry about inflation on rent. I like the idea of decorating and furnishing a home the way I want it, most of the furniture I see in the ads for rental properties there looks very uncomfortable to me, even the beds look uncomfortable so I would prefer furnishing a place myself. I don't know what that will entail in cost either or if I can move all my stuff down there and what that cost and process are like. Having a car is a must for me, so is it best to buy one here or there? Owning in my opinion is cheaper than renting but it means using up a considerable amount of my tiny nest egg. If one owns down there and were to move back to the States it can then become a rental property by the looks of how the population there is probably going to boom over the next few years, I should think owning a rental property is a good investment to hand down to my kids as something special. I'm sure I'll have a better feel for it once I come down there and try it out for size first, I won't buy real fast, I'm heeding the advice of others as they've responded to my post.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next