INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the ladies...Maid Service-am I expecting too much?-My maid woes.

+17
arbon
CanuckBob
holdrja
espĂ­ritu del lago
Carry Bean
susan
Jim W
raqueteer
gringal
hound dog
simpsca
ferret
johninajijic
Rolly
Parker
SusieSunshine
Chapalagringa
21 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

For the ladies...Maid Service-am I expecting too much?-My maid woes. - Page 3 Empty Re: For the ladies...Maid Service-am I expecting too much?-My maid woes.

Post by susan Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm

"carrie", dont want to spend the $ on a board. i dont need custom ironing like shirt sleeves, collars. big wood table is fine. i set up for her as i do the detergent the hand wash. she's so fast that she forgets some times to put the double towel. "parker": if you continue to tell people to drop dead than i will be forced to report you. you are very mean. dont flatter yourself, our paths wont cross. the person who "does" choose to be w/me is my maid! she can work for any other american, & an employee like her is in demand. someone as fast & punctual as her, has her pick of houses especially during high season. this woman would never stay anywhere unless to was to her liking. she dosnt need you to defend her. you have not had a maid before you moved here. & you may be lucky w/the one you have. but seriously if someone comes in my house & its a disaster (or they have a bad attitude which sometimes was the case), i cut my losses. no one holds me hostage, like they do "gringagirl", & so many americans. whats the big deal? i value my poccessions. i take care of #1. charity begins @home. whats wrong w/putting $ in someones hand then saying "no necessita"! its OVER, done everyone moves on.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

For the ladies...Maid Service-am I expecting too much?-My maid woes. - Page 3 Empty Re: For the ladies...Maid Service-am I expecting too much?-My maid woes.

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Here it is:

When there's no one else around, anyone will do. When the pickin is no longer slim, just anyone won't do anymore. If they weren't up to snuff to being with, they'll find themselves pushed out. They'll move on to another area where the pickin is slim so they will do again. Ever meet people like this? I think those filling in have their purpose. Rather than getting their feelings hurt, if they do what they do well, they'll understand how important their role is during the in between times. Sometimes, they fill in long term. But boy, be it time to move on and they aren't always happy about it. Happy is the one who embraces who they are.

Have a hay day on that Ferret! lol
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Look ladies, I don't care how well vetted these agency maids are, the ones in Canada sent in their boyfriends and cleaned our place out in minutes. That's why you need to persist, there's no free ride here.

Yes the going rate is 30 pesos an hour, and some people are paying way over the odds. Price does not guarantee quality, expectations and actions do. Personally I do pay a bit over the odds, but not much, and she's worth it.

If you want to look like a greenhorn, go ahead and pay way too much for way too little. I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be respected. What's worse is they might decide to pinch some of your stuff, just because they know you're not keeping an eagle eye on things.

Stiffen that upper lip, and get down to business. You, and only you are responsible for what happens in your house. Someone doesn't work out, you tell them to leave in no uncertain terms. If they want to discuss personal issues, you walk away and say you have no experience in these matters. They'll get the message, mine did, and yes, she tried.

One last thought here. Do not, under any circumstances, lend your household staff money. Make it clear from day one. Once they get your sympathy, you're toast and easy pickings. I've seen this dozens of times.

I just noticed that the OP has spoken, let me assure you there is no shortage of help in this area. You, must get with the program here, or rely on Spring Clean.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:58 pm

How much is Spring Clean? Looks like several of you use them?

Ferret, re reading your first posts and contemplating. Can't seem to fine tune this maid. I may call that one begging for work tomorrow. I'm also considering adding laundry and ironing. Especially for the amount we've been paying. Work with her for as long as I can stand it. It will mess up my schedule! Unless she comes in the afternoons during training and later i can switch her to mornings.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Susan, who are you going to report Parker to? Personally speaking, I've had maids for decades.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 am

susan wrote:"carrie", dont want to spend the $ on a board. i dont need custom ironing like shirt sleeves, collars. big wood table is fine. i set up for her as i do the detergent the hand wash. she's so fast that she forgets some times to put the double towel. "parker": if you continue to tell people to drop dead than i will be forced to report you. you are very mean. dont flatter yourself, our paths wont cross. the person who "does" choose to be w/me is my maid! she can work for any other american, & an employee like her is in demand. someone as fast & punctual as her, has her pick of houses especially during high season. this woman would never stay anywhere unless to was to her liking. she dosnt need you to defend her. you have not had a maid before you moved here. & you may be lucky w/the one you have. but seriously if someone comes in my house & its a disaster (or they have a bad attitude which sometimes was the case), i cut my losses. no one holds me hostage, like they do "gringagirl", & so many americans. whats the big deal? i value my poccessions. i take care of #1. charity begins @home. whats wrong w/putting $ in someones hand then saying "no necessita"! its OVER, done everyone moves on.

Even though there are those that believe otherwise there are people one can employ, treat them with respect, $$ and kindness and they will respond in kind. “You only get what you pay for.” You seem to be really out of touch with reality and encourage others to act in the same manner. By the way, with the increase of peso against the dollar it’s more like 50 peso per hour. I may appear mean in your eyes but I have no desire to take advantage of those less fortunate than myself.

"Susan wrote": if you continue to tell people to drop dead than i will be forced to report you. you are very mean. dont flatter yourself, our paths wont cross. You are kidding, right? I still believe you should “dig a grave and jump in” and think rationally for a short period of time, this may be a new experience for you but sometimes this really can help.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:45 am

raqueteer wrote:Look, your maid needs to be doing a whole lot more than that IMO. 3 hours at a time will not cut it. First they have to get their stuff out, get organized, by which time you've lost at least 15 minutes, ditto for the end of the day.

Ours comes twice a week for an entire day. 10 to 5. BTW we have a retriever who sheds like crazy.

Here's what she does.

The entire house, all of it, about 3500 sq, ft. As I stated before, the casita is another issue, which gets addressed as needed.

First she cleans and sanitizes the kitchen, plus does any pots which may have been left soaking the night before. Cleans, as per instructions all stainless steel appliances inside and out, except for the fridge which we clean inside and chuck stuff we don't want. She also empties the dishwasher.

Then she moves to the guest suite, which is rarely used, and starts the heavy duty stuff. That includes sweeping, a proper mopping, dusting, including inside closets and the bathroom vanity. The bathroom gets a deep clean as well. Then she vacuums rugs plus the bath mat.

Once finished in there, she moves on to the living and dining rooms. Same deal, sweep, mop and vacuum, plus dusting. This includes moving the furniture if there is even a hint of dust bunnies in any room. She waxes all furniture twice a week, and most of our stuff is tricky, either antiques or high end repros. She also cleans the inside of our bookcases and keeps an eye out for any termites or mold.

This schedule allows us to keep over on our side of the house until after lunch,
and undisturbed.

She also washes the bedclothes and changes the beds.

After lunch she starts on our side which includes an office, den, bedroom and bath. Once again, everything gets the same treatment as elsewhere. At this point we vacate the area so we don't disturb her. DH goes out to the terraza and I usually retreat to the kitchen.

One she's finished there, she does the terraza, which is essentially furnished much like the inside, except for the wood furniture. No polishing, but lots of glass stone and marble.

On to ironing, which is the very last thing she does. I have already done the laundry. When she's done she puts the laundry away.

She also does the windows, and goes through a bottle of windex usually once every week and a half or less.

The kitchen cabinets and drawers get cleaned inside about every 2 weeks.

Anyhow, those are my expectations, yours may differ, however I would doubt that you need any more than 2 5 hour days. Maybe less.

I'm not the only one that doesn't have their maid doing laundry or the kitchen. Why would I NEED her to be here more than 3 hours for a thorough cleaning if she's not required to do laundry and kitchen? My house is 1/2 the size of yours! I'm really wondering what having a good thorough quick maid looks like! Someone even wrote that in a 4 hour day, their maid cooks them a MEAL! I couldn't do that!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:50 am

holdrja wrote:Sheesh - chapalagringa, sounds like you should seriously consider a new maid.
We found ours through Rony El Belgiano's employment service in Chapala. Deliberately hired an older woman with lots of experience. She is awesome.

We have her for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week and she keeps our 4700 sq foot home impeccably clean - despite the mess and confusion from ongoing construction and unpacking/arranging our stuff. I have turned her loose on things like unpacking and arranging our clothing storage.

I set a day for her to strip the beds and do laundry; a different day for ironing. Had to explain a dishwasher to her, and the permanent press setting on the clothes dryer. I've asked her to do the kitchen first thing when she arrives, then she pretty much does her own thing. And very thoroughly. I've had to remind her a couple of times about sweeping the office and the guest room more often.

She cooks lunch for us most of the time, and I give her an extra hour of work time for cooking prep and clean up. She does the grocery shopping and plans the meals, we give her a thumbs up or thumbs down and she is building a repertory of what we like to eat.

So - all cleaning and laundry, in 12 hours a week; and special requests like organising the kitchen storage, shining our shoes, French braiding my hair, shining the silver....

This maid. She cooks! I'd like to train someone to help me cook. That would be awesome! This maid gets paid 50 pesos an hour because of gas expenses. Sounds like a real gem. What would you pay her if you weren't covering transportation expenses? We've been paying an hourly rate plus a little extra for gas.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:32 am

Chapalagringa wrote:
holdrja wrote:Sheesh - chapalagringa, sounds like you should seriously consider a new maid.
We found ours through Rony El Belgiano's employment service in Chapala. Deliberately hired an older woman with lots of experience. She is awesome.

We have her for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week and she keeps our 4700 sq foot home impeccably clean - despite the mess and confusion from ongoing construction and unpacking/arranging our stuff. I have turned her loose on things like unpacking and arranging our clothing storage.

I set a day for her to strip the beds and do laundry; a different day for ironing. Had to explain a dishwasher to her, and the permanent press setting on the clothes dryer. I've asked her to do the kitchen first thing when she arrives, then she pretty much does her own thing. And very thoroughly. I've had to remind her a couple of times about sweeping the office and the guest room more often.

She cooks lunch for us most of the time, and I give her an extra hour of work time for cooking prep and clean up. She does the grocery shopping and plans the meals, we give her a thumbs up or thumbs down and she is building a repertory of what we like to eat.

So - all cleaning and laundry, in 12 hours a week; and special requests like organising the kitchen storage, shining our shoes, French braiding my hair, shining the silver....

This maid. She cooks! I'd like to train someone to help me cook. That would be awesome! This maid gets paid 50 pesos an hour because of gas expenses. Sounds like a real gem. What would you pay her if you weren't covering transportation expenses? We've been paying an hourly rate plus a little extra for gas.

You never state what you consider a decent wage and without this information you leave the rest of us in the dark about what you think is fair?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:16 am

25 pesos an hour is FAIR! 30 pesos is a lot! Especially if you pay other perks for them like social security. I've been paying more! Change will be made effective immediately. Dislike being taken advantage of! Been a great thread!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 am

Chapalagringa wrote:25 pesos an hour is FAIR! 30 pesos is a lot! Especially if you pay other perks for them like social security. I've been paying more! Change will be made effective immediately. Dislike being taken advantage of! Been a great thread!

Frankly, I think that 25 pesos is a bit low. I would start someone out at 30, and if, after a few months they are really working out well, then you could start moving up bit by bit to show appreciation. As a part time employer you are not required to pay social security. Nor are you really required to give massive termination pay. There are forms in the papelerias which you can use for termination. In the case of termination you do have to know your onions and speak Spanish. There is a list of things which will need to be done. for your protection.

In a prior entry you stated that you wouldn't have her doing the kitchen or any laundry, so why would 3 hours not be enough. So here's my opinion. The kitchen is a very heavy part of cleaning, cabinets and drawers need to be cleaned every so often, the oven etc. so why not give her an extra hour, make it 4, that's fair to both you and her. She has time to get organized and do more for you. Example ironing, another unpleasant job. Now looking at it from her point of view, you are a part time employer, so if she only gets 3 hours, after spending time getting to your place, where is she going to make up an extra hour to get to an 8 hour day? If you have a bad back, cleaning the kitchen just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Personally I wouldn't want a maid doing any cooking. That's just my personal feeling on the matter, however, YMMV.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:59 am

I think 25 pesos is fair. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, but you have to consider how many people are working for way less...even the local school teachers make less (with an education, typically 20 pesos an hour). I admit, I was paying more, but then someone told me that the local maids felt like they should get more for working for foreigners because we have the money. That is why there are so many maids who want cleaning jobs with foreigners.

My friends in Ixlahuacan (don't know if I spelled that right) spend WAY less and get great service, as do friends in a couple other parts (including the Tasmanian mother in law).

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 am

CanuckBob wrote:Yep, ammonia and bleach = mustard gas.

Nope.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 am

SusieSunshine wrote:I think 25 pesos is fair. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, but you have to consider how many people are working for way less...even the local school teachers make less (with an education, typically 20 pesos an hour). I admit, I was paying more, but then someone told me that the local maids felt like they should get more for working for foreigners because we have the money. That is why there are so many maids who want cleaning jobs with foreigners.

My friends in Ixlahuacan (don't know if I spelled that right) spend WAY less and get great service, as do friends in a couple other parts (including the Tasmanian mother in law).

You know Susie, you're right, however if people in your area have already upped the going rate, that's something you're going to have to deal with. Ixtlahuacan doesn't have that many gringos, but if you live in a gringo enclave (aka gringo ghetto) you're going to have to be competitive, or you'll get the dregs. Sad but true. Paying for a full day is also part of the equation. Part time get higher rates.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 am

arbon wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yep, ammonia and bleach = mustard gas.

Nope.

Here's the full description. doesn't really matter what you call it, here are a number of possible effects.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_when_you_mix_ammonia_with_chlorine

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 am

most people here agree w/me, thats good. parker: you dont now what i pay my maid, she gets the higher end of the pay scale. i thought you said you never had a maid, got confused w/someone else. i do not have "maid woes" or steady worker woes as i know who will work out or who wont. believe me, the 2 people i fired (years ago, one right away, the other after 2 hrs), were happy to get the cash, bus fare what ever. im sure they were gad to not work here either. i have been here p/t for almost 35yrs, i didnt come to "make friends" w/household help. (that is sad). never had a contract or paid medical etc, keep it simple. i do a different arrangement, zero problems. (no robbery ever, no employee lawsuits, i cant relate to most of this stuff). had employees most of my life, worked for myself. there are some people who dont &cant get it. the lady w/the bad back (chapalagringa) has not a clue for management, doesnt even know what the going rate is, what to expect, she doesnt have the communication skills to be direct (w/anyone). no maid will work out! oviously if this maid can only mop & sweep, than thats her skill level, thats a no brainer. for maids i want like 80% of my expectations, thats fair. we can work out the rest. some people can rakes my leaves, but have no garden skills. i know their capacity, so they only rake after a storm & i call them occasionally. the last thing to say is that when you are deperate then the "woes " escalate. (i have had some bad paint jobs as i was in a hurry, didnt stay on top of it, & had to re hire & do again). the bottom line about employees/ arrangements etc: if you keep "thinking" about it, its not correct.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:59 pm

someone told me that the local maids felt like they should get more for working for foreigners because we have the money. That is why there are so many maids who want cleaning jobs with foreigners.

This is correct.. I started out paying my maid 30 pesos an hour. My nearest and dearest Mexican friends chewed my ass out over this issue, and I mean we are part of their family! She told me it makes the other Mexicans who need help have to pay more and I am not talking about rich Tapitios.

These are middle class family's who are older now and have health issues, have a little extra money because of a lot of hard work and saving to get where they are now.

There is nothing wrong with paying extra, however because each individual situation varies. The problem is a bunch of well meaning people with good intentions can cause unintended consequences that effect people who don't have the same financial resources, not to mention that in turn makes newcomers a target for theft etc.
espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Chlorine=. Atomic number 17, Cl is symbol.

Ammonia= Atomic number 13 , I believe?? NH3 is symbol.

However that can vary when you increase the amount of bleach.

And what you get is chlorine gas Shocked

For you ladies check this out, chlorine gas was used in WW1 and WW2.

Hypochlorite is bleach which is sold as CLORALEX in Mexico!

espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:38 pm

susan wrote:most people here agree w/me, thats good. parker: you dont now what i pay my maid, she gets the higher end of the pay scale. i thought you said you never had a maid, got confused w/someone else. i do not have "maid woes" or steady worker woes as i know who will work out or who wont. believe me, the 2 people i fired (years ago, one right away, the other after 2 hrs), were happy to get the cash, bus fare what ever. im sure they were gad to not work here either. i have been here p/t for almost 35yrs, i didnt come to "make friends" w/household help. (that is sad). never had a contract or paid medical etc, keep it simple. i do a different arrangement, zero problems. (no robbery ever, no employee lawsuits, i cant relate to most of this stuff). had employees most of my life, worked for myself. there are some people who dont &cant get it. the lady w/the bad back (chapalagringa) has not a clue for management, doesnt even know what the going rate is, what to expect, she doesnt have the communication skills to be direct (w/anyone). no maid will work out! oviously if this maid can only mop & sweep, than thats her skill level, thats a no brainer. for maids i want like 80% of my expectations, thats fair. we can work out the rest. some people can rakes my leaves, but have no garden skills. i know their capacity, so they only rake after a storm & i call them occasionally. the last thing to say is that when you are deperate then the "woes " escalate. (i have had some bad paint jobs as i was in a hurry, didnt stay on top of it, & had to re hire & do again). the bottom line about employees/ arrangements etc: if you keep "thinking" about it, its not correct.

Be careful with your absolutes but I love the humor and welcome to the board!

I know what I expect, but the question was am I expecting TOO much? NO! the answer is absolutely no! And I'm paying too much being played on sympathy and inexperience of having a maid in my house. I'm too young to have a maid & prefer to do it myself and am accustomed to serving others. I don't like people doing things for me, so why would I have experience with domestic services? Why would I bother to write about it here unless I was interested in what others had to say about it?

You did a good job pushing me buttons and I'd really like to write what i'm thinking but must pass. lol Maybe we can meet up for coffee someday and I'll share with you. Dead Horse

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added a lot and maybe more later!)
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 pm

This has to rank near the top of most frivolous bullshit threads in the history of Mexico message boards.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Solovino wrote:This has to rank near the top of most frivolous bullshit threads in the history of Mexico message boards.

Sorry, on TOB, where to buy a nail file is number one. IMO at least. But, yeah it's just that the issue really tees some of us off. After all we have to listen to this stuff frequently in daily life and despite trying to help out, good advice usually falls on deaf ears. Consider it cheaper than a therapist or medication.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08 pm

oddly, the posters claiming to have been employers of many are the one's making the off the wall statements that one who has never managed before, ought not have a maid. What a ridiculous thought. Can imagine what it would have been like under your leadership.

I prefer to be one who influences, don't need a title. Love to see the potential in others, be their biggest fan and see them be the best that they can be.

It's not that I've been a bad employer. I've taken my sweet time with this gal and pushed her, as I always do with the people I work with, to her limits so I know what I really have to work with. I was the one who wrote out her strengths, not a light bulb moment for the reader nor a managerial observation since you've never met her. I wrote it and will recommend her to anyone for her excellent character and ability to sweep and mop well. I believed and hoped she could do more but because of her phlegmatic attitude, I must release this one and look for one who can meet my requirements so I may keep my hair. Kind of figured this was happening as I was writing out my detailed check list. Even mentioned it in a post. That melancholy organization bleeding.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Solo, been waiting for you to set the record straight. What do you pay your maid and what's the law say about it?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm

I especially enjoyed the comments about not letting yourself being taken advantage of by someone you pay 25 pesos an hour.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 pm

25 pesos/hr is on the low end of the scale for a housekeeper.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:33 pm

25, 30, 40. It is still peanuts. And expecting perfection for peanuts is absurd.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next