INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brussel Sprouts

+16
Uncle Jack
Flamingo
Jim W
Pedro
hound dog
kipissippi
Rolly
seisdedos
viajero
hickton
slainte39
lunateak
Lady Otter Latté
gringal
ferret
CheenaGringo
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Brussel Sprouts - Page 2 Empty Re: Brussel Sprouts

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:16 pm

You are correct Rolly--on both counts.

Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I am a social butter imbiber--can stop anytime I want. I just never want. Besides, real butter on popcorn is virtually invisible--until your teeth break apart that morsel and the butter whispers the true name of god along your taste buds with salt trailing behind in a faint echo.

If I owned one of those cineplexes, I would pay you anything you wanted, to manage the concessions.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 pm

seisdedos wrote:If there's anything I hate more than pit bulls, its brussel sprouts.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you hate more than brusselS sprouts. For me, the end of the hate line is chayote...well maybe okra, if I could find it.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 am

slainte39 wrote:
seisdedos wrote:If there's anything I hate more than pit bulls, its brussel sprouts.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you hate more than brusselS sprouts. For me, the end of the hate line is chayote...well maybe okra, if I could find it.

Lima beans.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 am

ferret wrote:Kippy...did the cat do the "whap, whap, whap?".

Cheenagringo...spoilsport! Hope you only eat brussels sprouts (or any veg)when they're grown locally and seasonally.

Oh yeah... he'd give the dog a left right left...the dog would freeze in place, the cat would eye him for a couple of minutes..then do the old let's taunt the dog trick by rubbing up under his chin again. That's the rule with my fur kids.. the bigger guy MUST back down...keeps the vet bills down. You should see my rescue Chihuahua do her "leap throught the air panther attack" impression with the hound. Hysterical. They really get rough...but the only one who ever cries..is the hound. She's very careful . She plays rough with the little ones...they love it.. but she knows how far she can take it.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Rolly wrote:Not that anyone gives a shit, but the proper name is Brussels sprouts

Actually, Dawg gives a shit and the proper name is Choux de Bruxelles. It is the single most sublime vegetable on the planet if prepared properly.

CHOUX DE BRUXELLES A LA DAWG
Parboil some brussels sprouts in salted boiling water for a few minutes until al dente
Drain
Melt butter and saute the sprouts in the butter until properly caramelized and the butter has been sufficiently soaked up
Some fresh grindings of black pepper

This same preparation is appropriate for green (string) beans or what the French grow until young and tender and call haricots ver
Parboil young tender green breans until al dente in salted water. Just for a few minutes,
Saute the al dente green beans in butter with garlic, chopped parsley and pine nuts or slivered almonds until properly caramelized
Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper

Both of these vegetable dishes are excellent served with a roasted chicken or roasted rare leg of lamb larded with garlic cloves and rubbed with rosemary fresh from the garden.

The French know how to cook, Alabamians do not generally speaking except for barbequed pork butt but that is another matter.

One can find Choux de Bruxelles at Lakeside if having shopped vigilantly or in the indigenous markets in the Chiapas Highlands but never brussels sprouts in Chiapas, otherwise these treats can be hard to find. Proper pork butt fatty enough for Alabama BBQ is very hard to find in the Lakeside area as it tends to be too lean and dry.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 pm

[[i]quote="seisdedos"]
slainte39 wrote:

Lima beans or a derivation thereof known as fava beans is the national dish of Egypt and called foul medamas. The beans are typically served at room temperature in a vinegrette with a flavorful olive oil and is a delicious dish. Chayote must be served as a component of flavorful stews and soups to be appreciated for its texture which adds toothsomeness to the broth while by itself it is bland. Okra is underrated by those who lack adventursome palates. It is a key ingredient in specialty cuisines from the cajun country in the United States to West Africa, India and the Caribbean and is critical to achieving texture and subtle flavors to piquant stews of spicy and complex flavors. On the other hand, diced fried okra also makes an interesting accompaniment to typical dinners in the souhern United States and, if you do not like it it is improved by slathering on some Heinz Ketchup and Tabasco Sauce.

Of course if you are like Seisdedos and have survived on bullfrogs in the Lacandon Forest for thirty years, these things may be a bit exotic in the short run.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:17 pm

but 6 fingers is slim and trim and probably quite happy with his cuisinart.
even iffen he never tasted frog vindaloo.
oh, i forgetted to axe, senor retired bank employee-tell me where in egypt is lima peru-por favor? -SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:55 pm

hound dog wrote:
Rolly wrote:Not that anyone gives a shit, but the proper name is Brussels sprouts

Actually, Dawg gives a shit and the proper name is Choux de Bruxelles. It is the single most sublime vegetable on the planet if prepared properly.

CHOUX DE BRUXELLES A LA DAWG
Parboil some brussels sprouts in salted boiling water for a few minutes until al dente
Drain
Melt butter and saute the sprouts in the butter until properly caramelized and the butter has been sufficiently soaked up
Some fresh grindings of black pepper

This same preparation is appropriate for green (string) beans or what the French grow until young and tender and call haricots ver

We like our sprouts prepped and cooked that way dawg, sometimes we add sliced almonds to the sauté. Very Happy

Parboil young tender green breans until al dente in salted water. Just for a few minutes,
Saute the al dente green beans in butter with garlic, chopped parsley and pine nuts or slivered almonds until properly caramelized
Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper

Both of these vegetable dishes are excellent served with a roasted chicken or roasted rare leg of lamb larded with garlic cloves and rubbed with rosemary fresh from the garden.

The French know how to cook, Alabamians do not generally speaking except for barbequed pork butt but that is another matter.

One can find Choux de Bruxelles at Lakeside if having shopped vigilantly or in the indigenous markets in the Chiapas Highlands but never brussels sprouts in Chiapas, otherwise these treats can be hard to find. Proper pork butt fatty enough for Alabama BBQ is very hard to find in the Lakeside area as it tends to be too lean and dry.

We like our sprouts prepped and cooked that way dawg, sometimes we add sliced almonds to the sauté. Very Happy

Last edited by Jim W on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

While I would never order Brussels Sprouts, if someone were to serve them in an attractive presentation with an appealing smell, I would probably give them another shot to win me over. However, despite the Dawg's recommendations okra and lima beans have run out of chances.

By the way I take no credit or blame for this topic being in a category other than food and drink!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:

By the way I take no credit or blame for this topic being in a category other than food and drink!

Spineless? lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Wrong! CB split this off from a different topic in the General Discussion arena and much like the Wild vs Farm Raised Salmon topic, it ended up in the wrong area.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:27 pm

The very BEST Brussels Sprouts are the roasted with garlic ones made by Whole Paycheck in Boulder CO. I was told they boil them, marinate in garlic, herbs and oil overnight and then roast them. Heaven cheers

And I totally agree that "okra and lima beans have run out of chances."
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

I like to use sprouts instead of cabbage when cooking corned beef.

uj
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twisted and Bizarre

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 am

Uncle Jack wrote:I like to use sprouts instead of cabbage when cooking corned beef.

uj
YUM!

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 am

A friend served brussels sprouts for a group. She sliced about 1/2 through them in both directions at the top and cooked them with plenty of butter. That avoided the hard center problem. I like 'em.

'Course, some people would rather put them in a slingshot and fire away. No accounting for taste. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 am

hound dog wrote: Chayote must be served as a component of flavorful stews and soups to be appreciated for its texture which adds toothsomeness to the broth while by itself it is bland.

That's saying the "most" for the verdura, and generous, if you ever had to endure "cho cho" in Jamaica. Thumbs down

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 am

I second that.

Uncle Jack, said I like to use sprouts instead of cabbage when cooking corned beef.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:20 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:While I would never order Brussels Sprouts, if someone were to serve them in an attractive presentation with an appealing smell, I would probably give them another shot to win me over. However, despite the Dawg's recommendations okra and lima beans have run out of chances.

I like okra to thicken soups. Otherwise I find them too slimy. Evil or Very Mad

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Ms Mac wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:While I would never order Brussels Sprouts, if someone were to serve them in an attractive presentation with an appealing smell, I would probably give them another shot to win me over. However, despite the Dawg's recommendations okra and lima beans have run out of chances.

[/i]

The Romans said the same thing about the Christians.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm

hound dog wrote:
Ms Mac wrote:

[/i]

Heh, heh! Brussel Sprouts - Page 2 169387

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 pm

hound dog wrote:I like okra to thicken soups. Otherwise I find them too slimy. Evil or Very Mad

¿Who were the 'Christians' (at the time) that the 'Romans' and 'bubba' are talking about?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Just a clue...they weren't the ones with the hairy mane, tail, very large teeth, walking on four feet.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 pm

slainte39 wrote:Just a clue...they weren't the ones with the hairy mane, tail, very large teeth, walking on four feet.

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:44 pm

arbon wrote:
slainte39 wrote:Just a clue...they weren't the ones with the hairy mane, tail, very large teeth, walking on four feet.

Before the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem were famous, they used to perform at a small club in Greenwich Village. I don't remember the name of the club, but they were the opening act for the main performer, whose name I also do not remember. They were great and we used to take the subway down to the Village to see them almost every week. I still remember, though, most of the words of every song.
Thanks, Arbon, for posting this.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:02 am

LaChula wrote:
arbon wrote:

Before the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem were famous, they used to perform at a small club in Greenwich Village. I don't remember the name of the club, but they were the opening act for the main performer, whose name I also do not remember. They were great and we used to take the subway down to the Village to see them almost every week. I still remember, though, most of the words of every song.
Thanks, Arbon, for posting this.

Arbon:
Sin amhrán deas. Go raibh maith agat.

La Chula:
Could it have been McSorley's...they performed there before Tommy Makem started his own pub on 14th St., called the Irish Pavilion. Was it before or after their appearance on the Ed Sullivan show? 1962?

Slainte

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next