INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brussel sprouts

+4
susan
hockables
gringal
CheenaGringo
8 posters

Go down

Brussel sprouts Empty Re: Brussel sprouts

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:59 pm

I have learned through years of reading the Dawg's posts that there is always an opportunity to gain new knowledge. Today may just be a highlight! Ever since being raised with the edict that one ate everything put in front of me, I have hated Brussels Sprouts! I figure that they were only good for loading a slingshot. Always liked other forms of cabbage. Now I discover that it is more than likely that I never had them prepared properly. Time to try something new and see how it works out.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Back in the Brussels Sprouts center of the Universe, there was an annual Brussels Sprouts Festival.
Any excuse for a Festival, same as here.
Highlights of said event were the competitive cooking contests for fans of the little devils as well as one of the most popular booths where anti-sprouts folks could engage in a the "Brussels Sprouts Toss."

Dawg's recipe sounds good, but for sheer simplicity, you can cut quartering grooves in the tops and nuke them with lavish additions such as butter and salt. I am a fan of them any old way.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:21 pm

gringal wrote:Back in the Brussels Sprouts center of the Universe, there was an annual Brussels Sprouts Festival.

I'll eat anything..... cept that....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:22 pm

overall view: 1) do brussel sprouts have much uric acid? i used to eat them many years ago. i am impressed w/a man who knows his vegetables. 2) one can live their life w/out seeing a "mall". i have not seen a live moose either. my home town is easy to figure out. 3) looks like this is off topic, octagon time. 4) i am also ignorant of geography. never saw the USA (real america) untill the 80s. still do not know the difference between ohio, indiana, idaho (potatoes)?

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:03 pm

You may not see a moose in Moosejaw susan but you sure as heck will see some buffalo......

BTW.....I boil my brussel sprouts then pan fry them in butter, garlic powder and parmesean cheese.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:18 pm

[quote="CanuckBob"]You may not see a moose in Moosejaw susan but you sure as heck will see some buffalo......

BTW.....I boil my brussel sprouts then pan fry them in butter, garlic powder and parmesean cheese.[/quote]

Garlic powder? What ever happened to fresh garlic? That latest chunk of Reggiano Parmesan I just bought at Super cost me over $300 Pesos but I´ll try CB´s recipe anyway. It sounds good.

One cannot buy brussel sprouts in Chiapas. Any of you sprouts haters looking to buy a house down there? Let´s negotiate.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Brussel sprouts Empty Brussel sprouts

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:22 pm

While I agree fresh is always best, I like the powder because it coats the sprouts. Once the cheese melts it gets a bit messy but the taste is most pleasing.

Guess I'll have to split this off into a brussel sprout thread now.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I like them as described above...all great...add a crumbling of bacon bits and perfection comes to mind.

I like to simmer them in orange juice...remove the cooked sprouts...make a roux and thicken the orange juice with it. Serve the sprouts with the thickened juice spooned over them. Divine!

Last edited by ferret on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the bacon bits)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:03 pm

@susan. Uric acid is the end product of protein metabolism. In other words, your own body produces it. If you eat a lot of protein, then you MAY have a high uric acid level...everyone's different.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:55 am

CanuckBob wrote:You may not see a moose in Moosejaw susan but you sure as heck will see some buffalo......

BTW.....I boil my brussel sprouts then pan fry them in butter, garlic powder and parmesean cheese.

I use fresh garlic, and saute with sliced almonds....have a good night all Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:24 am

ferret wrote:@susan. Uric acid is the end product of protein metabolism. In other words, your own body produces it. If you eat a lot of protein, then you MAY have a high uric acid level...everyone's different.

Wouldn't that condition be Gout?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes it would, if your kidneys can't clear out the uric acid and the uric acid crystals deposit into joint fluid.

Edited to add...many kidney stones are made of pure uric acid crystals...think of stalagmites and stalactites Shocked I couldn't believe the size of some of the kidney stones that I had to analyze...hurtenzee!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down