INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 kids kidnapped

+19
Intercasa
4 Aspects Healing
LaChula
Ms.Thang
Texmexco
MyHomeSweetHome
rs6000
gringal
slainte39
Rosa Venus
viajero
Smartalex
Pedro
seisdedos
Sideways
kipissippi
Trailrunner
saege007
hickton
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2 kids kidnapped - Page 2 Empty Re: 2 kids kidnapped

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:09 am

saege007 wrote:

Sorry, I meant how do you know they aren't aware? Typo on my part. You seemed sure that the authorities must not know, that is what I meant to convey.

Uh no. It was very clear what I wrote. If everybody in the barrio knows then so do the fuzz.

seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

gringal wrote:True enough. Ever notice the guys talking? Same deal, especially if the subject is the local women. ROFL.

But your comparing pláticas inteligentes vs. chismes. Very Happy ...an apple and an orange, ¿sí, verdad? scratch

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

saege007 wrote:

Oh, and never underestimate what a hairdresser knows. We probably know more about your personal lives than you wish us to know.
Especially when she's your wife like mine is.
At our house I'm the gardener and maintenance guy and my wife does the cleaning,no wonder I don't have a clue as to what the cartels are planning.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm

slainte39 wrote:

I know from experience, of sitting through the weekly sessions of "chismes" with the women in my family. It makes me want to drunk
Over Easter vacation we had a full house,mother in-law,nieces and sisters in-law,talk about a marathon chisme session!
Here's a mother in-law joke that doesn't translate well,
Q;Cual es el vino mas amargo?
A;Vino mi suegra.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rs6000 Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:I don't at all disagree that at least half of what we hear via the Mexican rumor mill is bad information, and yet, tengo un mal presentimiento, tambien. A few too many varifiable things have happened in the last few weeks not to give me pause and cause my concern to grow. It feels like this area might be entering another state of transition. And I'm by no means an alarmist.

Of course, I hope my judgment is off and I'm completely wrong.

I agree.
I lived in Chapala for 26 years, and ocasionally return from time to time. We spent last Easter in Chapala and my family and I could sense something is different in the environment.
You sense it when you talk to people on the street and they share their stories, and a couple conversations later with other people, same topic arises and confirms what first person said without even asking.
All in all, something is going on, I also have a mal presentimiento, I hope everything turns ok.

rs6000

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 pm

The anniversary of last year is coming and there has continued to be problems over the past year, not to the extent of last but problems none the less. People begin to chat, gossip and worry. There are problems, pray to God that it never happens again like last year. If you look throughout this country, there have been a few instances similar to last year, but not exactly like last year. Remember that last year the people in Joco were crying out for help, when it began to overflow here cries landed on deaf ears...after the fact is when the troops were called in to help clean house. The difference is that this year, troops have already arrived as problems began(troops meaning state police etc). Cries for help are not being ignored. Has there been any word as to why there was a military stop coming into Chapala from the airport last night as simpsca reported happening to her in the taxi? We'll never know it all and don't need to. Look at Rolly, he's coasted through all the stuff happening where he lives...even had his place searched by authorities and he's still there(i think).

Thank goodness the children were released unharmed. I was told they were picked up in Chapala, released at a hotel/motel late yesterday morning. I'm so grateful and thank God for their lives.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Of course there is a sense of paranoia. After the horrendous mass murder of last year, narco violence continues in the area which maintains a feeling of insecurity amongst the populace. But for someone to imply that there are plans for another mass killing based on gossip circulating in working class circles is nonsense. The cartels do not advertise their upcoming terror campaigns.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Even last years plans were somewhat thwarted. 1/2 thankfully got away. My heart still breaks for those innocent that have lost their lives and their dear families that we so often see. The loss senseless, the act so evil...no words.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Texmexco Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm

One of our Mexican employees once came to us all excited and said she had heard that a pueblo family had captured some duendes (fairy people) and had them in a cage. I said, well take me there 'cause I gotta see this to believe it. Of course, she didn't know WHERE they were being held. The Mexican grapevine chisme (gossip) can be a big help, or it can be just that...chisme!. Ya never know!! Sure hope that gardener is wrong this time!!

Texmexco
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Two weeks ago two bars close to where I live in Guadalajara were attacked by individuals with AK47s and hand grenades,no one in particular was targeted but six innocent people lost their lives including one gringo who was just there watching the Chivas vs America game,many more were wounded.I use to go to one of those bars, "El Clasico", to watch futbol with my friends,it was a friendly neighborhood bar with great botanas.
Things are different now and nobody can predict what's going to happen next.

As far as small town chisme goes,there were at least a dozen "La Llorona" sightings at my wife's ranchito last year.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:40 pm

The investigative police hauled off several truckloads of men in hand cuffs earlier today...they were heading out of Chapala toward Guadalajara. Whatever is going on, at least it isn't being met with the same ambivalence of last year.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

viajero wrote:Two weeks ago two bars close to where I live in Guadalajara were attacked by individuals with AK47s and hand grenades,no one in particular was targeted but six innocent people lost their lives including one gringo who was just there watching the Chivas vs America game,many more were wounded.I use to go to one of those bars, "El Clasico", to watch futbol with my friends,it was a friendly neighborhood bar with great botanas.
Things are different now and nobody can predict what's going to happen next.

As far as small town chisme goes,there were at least a dozen "La Llorona" sightings at my wife's ranchito last year.

La Llorona has been sighted and/or heard wandering on my street in Ajijic now and then.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 4 Aspects Healing Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 pm

What is La Llorona?

4 Aspects Healing

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 pm

She cries for all the politicians... mis hijos... de la shingada!!!!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 pm

is that "shingada" or "chingada" ??
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 am

Wow! The lawyer uses the Mexican equivalent of sort of Valley Speak. Hmmmmm........

Does he sign off e-mails with beshos?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 am

sweat4health wrote:What is La Llorona?

In some versions of this tale and legend, La Llorona will kidnap wandering children who resemble her missing children, or children who disobey their parents. People who claim to have seen her say she appears at night or in the late evenings from rivers or oceans in Mexico. Some believe that those who hear the wails of La Llorona are marked for death, similar to the Gaelic banshee legend. She is said to cry, "Ay mis hijos!" which translates to, "Oh, my children!"
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 am

espíritu del lago wrote:
sweat4health wrote:What is La Llorona?

In some versions of this tale and legend, La Llorona will kidnap wandering children who resemble her missing children, or children who disobey their parents. People who claim to have seen her say she appears at night or in the late evenings from rivers or oceans in Mexico. Some believe that those who hear the wails of La Llorona are marked for death, similar to the Gaelic banshee legend. She is said to cry, "Ay mis hijos!" which translates to, "Oh, my children!"

There are many versions of the "crying woman." There is a beautiful, haunting song called La Llorona. Mexican-American singer Lila downs sings a version in an Oaxacan language, and I heard one in Oaxaca many years ago.
I never heard the story of kidnapping children, only that she wanders the street crying for the loss of her children. There must be many versions of this legends.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:20 am

viajero wrote:
Here's a mother in-law joke that doesn't translate well,
Q;Cual es el vino mas amargo?
A;Vino mi suegra.

LOL You're right...I wouldn't embarrass myself with a translation. Don't have a suegra to contend with but have several consuegritas that are like mama gallinas. Beer

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 am

Isn't it was just a wine/whine mother-in-law joke? Seems like it translates perfectly, unless I don't get it at all.

P.S./EDIT: Oh wait. I think I just got it. Is the punchline, "My mother-in-law came."? Haha.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 pm

It's just a little play on words,actually my mother in-law and I get along just fine.Jokes can be hard to translate IMO.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Actually Spanish is just like French, just forget about trying to translate the puns. They are only funny if you do not translate them.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleGecko Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 pm

what are the "variable things" you refer to? ... new police in the area..? the super topes and construction west of town? what else should we be looking for or at?

LittleGecko

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:Isn't it was just a wine/whine mother-in-law joke? Seems like it translates perfectly, unless I don't get it at all.

P.S./EDIT: Oh wait. I think I just got it. Is the punchline, "My mother-in-law came."? Haha.

Now do you see why I didn't want to put my name to the translation? LOL
IOW...how do you say tonto en inglés?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:40 pm

viajero wrote:It's just a little play on words,actually my mother in-law and I get along just fine.Jokes can be hard to translate IMO.

As well as a sense of humour. It pays to know how to laugh "politely" .

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:51 pm

slainte39 wrote:
Rosa Venus wrote:Isn't it was just a wine/whine mother-in-law joke? Seems like it translates perfectly, unless I don't get it at all.

...how do you say tonto en inglés?

Jay Silverheels.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next