INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too old to drive?

+7
ComputerGuy
Tony_In_Mexico
Zedinmexico
MexicoPete
brigitte
torre
Talosian
11 posters

Go down

Too old to drive? Empty Too old to drive?

Post by Talosian Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 am

I just read about the single car accident in Chapala and another one (at least I think there were two).

It's always sad when "innocent" people are injured or die and this is no exception.

Several years ago I read about an accident in Ajijic where an "older" gringa was parked in front of Salvador's and had her car in drive rather than reverse, hit the gas, jumped the concrete parking block injuring some people at a table.

I'm wondering if Mexico has any laws about really testing drivers when they are "very old" to see if they have both the physical AND mental capacity to drive.

Being honest, we know some "older" people are more likely not up to the physical and/or mental snuff to drive a motor vehicle. I wonder how often age factors into accidents here. I know the state in Florida show more "older" drivers have cr accidents than "younger" ones.

Just a passing thought.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

Too old to drive? Empty Re: Too old to drive?

Post by torre Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 am

Talosian wrote:I just read about the single car accident in Chapala and another one (at least I think there were two).

It's always sad when "innocent" people are injured or die and this is no exception.

Several years ago I read about an accident in Ajijic where an "older" gringa was parked in front of Salvador's and had her car in drive rather than reverse, hit the gas, jumped the concrete parking block injuring some people at a table.

I'm wondering if Mexico has any laws about really testing drivers when they are "very old" to see if they have both the physical AND mental capacity to drive.

Being honest, we know some "older" people are more likely not up to the physical and/or mental snuff to drive a motor vehicle. I wonder how often age factors into accidents here. I know the state in Florida show more "older" drivers have cr accidents than "younger" ones.

Just a passing thought.

Driving in Mexico is no picnic. At night it's just not advisable. Old people, drunk people. especially sunday nights.

torre

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:29 am

I do not think you can blame people for a whole lot of accidents. Young people and drunks hold that record.My mother is 91 and drives in Paris without any problems meanwhile I see people of all ages that should not be driving.

I think a real eye test and a periodical driving test would be better than setting an age limot. for driving.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 am

Talosian wrote "Several years ago I read about an accident in Ajijic where an "older" gringa was parked in front of Salvador's and had her car in drive rather than reverse, hit the gas, jumped the concrete parking block injuring some people at a table."

I was there that day. It could have been as many as 5 or 6 years ago. As of several months ago, (the last time I saw her), she was still driving. She has a very large car which helps protect her when in an accident.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 am

brigitte wrote:I do not think you can blame people for a whole lot of accidents. Young people and drunks hold that record.My mother is 91 and drives in Paris without any problems meanwhile I see people of all ages that should not be driving.

I think a real eye test and a periodical driving test would be better than setting an age limot. for driving.

Actually in the US old people are just as bad drivers drivers as the often picked on young male drivers if you look at the numbers. The eye test and
a simple driving test of driving down the road pull into a parking space and back out would be enough to weed out the bad folks.

When ever I visit my mother who is 82 I watch her drive and she is still pretty good. She pulls into her garage which only has two inches on either
side of car. She says when she hits a mirror she will stop driving. She is already stopped driving on the freeways. Not sure all old folks are self
editing driving wise like my mother.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm

As a former professional driver, it's my opinion that an easy 95% of auto accidents could be avoided with one simple change in people's driving habits, and that's allowing a safe distance between you and the next vehicle. You should at least use the 3 second rule, although I personally use 4 seconds. Identify a spot in the road, when the vehicle in front of you reaches it begin your count, 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, etc. If you arrive at the spot before 3 seconds, then you are following too closely. In rainy weather or at night, double it to 6 seconds. If you're older and not as secure about your reflexes, add another second or two. This is taught in driver's training and is probably on state driving tests, but for some reason law enforcement never seems to enforce it. It's too bad, because it really does save lives. No, instead we focus on the crash itself, as if it's an inevitability, so buckle up :P

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Right on, Tony. That was lesson number one (my Dad made me take driving lessons before he would lend me the car). And almost no one does it. Down here (or in Montreal) if you leave that much time between the car in front, someone is bound to slip into that space...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:49 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Right on, Tony. That was lesson number one (my Dad made me take driving lessons before he would lend me the car). And almost no one does it. Down here (or in Montreal) if you leave that much time between the car in front, someone is bound to slip into that space...

Yeah, that can be frustrating, and I think that's why most drivers don't do it. Me? I just slow until I have that gap I want, and I'll just keep doing it over and over as more cars slip into the gap. My safety is more important to me than saving a minute or 2 on a trip. This is especially true when I was driving a big rig. Those things don't stop on a dime, despite what some people apparently think. Honestly, I had someone tell me that I can stop faster than a car because I have more tires and thus more brakes.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:04 pm

and thus more (the elephant, literally, in the room)....WEIGHT.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Yep, my buddy driving the doble remolque in New Brunswick for McCain, and losing a giant load of frozen fries due to icy roads, would have to say: "More tires = more brakes...? Why didn't I think of that?"
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:33 pm

when i get too infirm to ride the beezer,i will have a trike made but then i won't be able to pass all you slow moving drivers on the right anymore like i did today. bummer!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Talosian wrote "Several years ago I read about an accident in Ajijic where an "older" gringa was parked in front of Salvador's and had her car in drive rather than reverse, hit the gas, jumped the concrete parking block injuring some people at a table."

I was there that day. It could have been as many as 5 or 6 years ago. As of several months ago, (the last time I saw her), she was still driving. She has a very large car which helps protect her when in an accident.

Yes, it protects HER.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 pm

The thing with "Old" people (and you define that term), is they get confused; as I recall, the woman at Salvador's thought hit the gas instead of the brake; or it may have been putting the car in "D" rather than "R."

And then the real kicker is that in Mexico, if someone loses a leg in n accident with the other person is at fault, they get their medical bills from the insurance company for the wrongdoer and maybe a little more. As I understand it, there is nothing for "Pain, suffering, loss of wages (including future wages), etc. "

And I don't know if there is anything with the idea of "Wrongful death" where the breadwinner" is killed; family may get nada.

If someone knows different and has the time to enlighten me, please do so.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:45 pm

What has age got to do with your questions on insurrance' You either have insurrance or you do not if you don´t it is all your problem. You can sue for all kind of things but that does not me you will get anything so have plenty of insurrance.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I was 78 when I gave up driving 3 years ago. I didn't feel age-impaired, but my eyesight was not good enough for me to feel safe on the road.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Going back to the lady who ran over her friend. I have often said that if I were to contribute to the death of someone else through my driving, it would be my last turn behind the wheel!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Good for you Rolly, I think killing someone by accident who be the end of me.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down