INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hole in One open again

+4
ComputerGuy
gringal
joec
simpsca
8 posters

Go down

Hole in One open again Empty Hole in One open again

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

I understand Hole in One is open again. New menu, Mexican orientation and lower prices. Haven't heard anything about entertainment yet.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Hole in One open again Empty Re: Hole in One open again

Post by joec Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 am

simpsca wrote:I understand Hole in One is open again. New menu, Mexican orientation and lower prices. Haven't heard anything about entertainment yet.

I don't think they'll last very long since most of the restaurant business caters to Gringos. Also, the atmosphere of Hole in One is a zero. They lose a LOT of business because of the atmosphere. We went one night when it was windy, the tablecloths were blowing off the tables and dust was incredible. We turned around and walked out.

Summertime OK. Wintertime when it's cold, not.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

El Serape seems to have been doing okay all these years serving Gringos who like Mexican food, and practically every other restaurant around here has Mexican dishes on their menu. Point being............ that Hole in One's problem was and is not about the food: John's right about it being about the environment. It's too cold in the winter, too hot when it's hot, miserable when it's windy....... and the street noise doesn't add to the charm.

I think the original concept of serving sandwiches to people wanting to do the golf thing made sense, but apparently it got lost along the way.

One positive: that parking garage is a swell place to sell food, crafts and what-all.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 am

It was Eric the Chef that made Hole In One exciting. When they raised the prices, attendance dropped way off. When he left, attendance dropped even more.

When the music was playing the last few months, I saw a lot more Mexican plates in the parking lot than NOBs. It's a stretch to think that many of them were Mexican-plated U.S. vehicles...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Not much of a stretch. And what's a "Mexican plated U.S vehicle" ? My car is Mexican, with Mexican plates and the same goes for most of my neighbors. People with South Dakota license plates don't dance. Everybody knows that.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm

I don't agree; all you have to do is look at the cars in the driveways of my customers. The vast majority are still U.S. plated (and as we all know, many with S. Dakota, who some might say can't dance), so I'm willing to postulate that the percentage of Americans with Mexican-plated cars parked in front of HIO in the evenings equals the percentage I see parked in gringo/Canadian driveways. Which is very small. And to me that says Mexicans attending.

Of course, another giveaway is how much banda gets played on any given Friday or Saturday, vs. oldies.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Helper Guy: I wasn't being serious there. I'll bet you can tell which kind of music it is from anywhere in the general vicinity..........very general.

I do find it amusing that there are probably more So.Dakota plates in the Lakeside area than there are people in Clay county, So. Dakota. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:46 pm

I know you weren't, lolz. At least about the dancing part. Although I can't say I've ever danced with someone with SD plates. But that might say everything, much like the "Why do elephants paint their toenails different colours?" bromo.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Given the structure that the Hole in One is dealing with, I have felt that their restaurant style should be one that is complimentary to the open air venue. Backyard BBQ or International BBQ concepts with large charcoal BBQ's cranking out steaks, ribs, chicken, other meats and sides prepared the same way generating plenty of smoke and the smell of cooking food.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

HelperGuy wrote:I know you weren't, lolz. At least about the dancing part. Although I can't say I've ever danced with someone with SD plates. But that might say everything, much like the "Why do elephants paint their toenails different colours?" bromo.

There's a peculiar logic working in the middle of the bromo: There's a mental process preceding the S.Dakota deal which is probably antithetical to the mental process leading to dancing anything wilder than a modest two step. Shall I put on my flame retardant suit yet, or can y'all still laugh at yourselves once in a while? Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm

A friend who got the story about Hole in One told me she was by the other day and it was packed with Mexicans. Does that help the debate about SD plates? Not commenting on the dancing part:)
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 pm

simpsca wrote:A friend who got the story about Hole in One told me she was by the other day and it was packed with Mexicans. Does that help the debate about SD plates? Not commenting on the dancing part:)

Just went to Superlake and checked out the new Mexican menu.....WOW......very inexpensive and a nice variety of items. How about 30 peso burgers? Maybe the answer has been found.
Back when they went with chef Eric and the gourmet route they were just Unclear on the Concept. At those prices, I want some seriously fine atmosphere.

I'm just kiddin' about those South Dakota people: I don't blame them a bit for moving here. Much nicer weather.
And .........you can't boogie much if your feets are freezing.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey, I looked at that menuboard today, too, and his burgs were 59 pesos. Wazzup?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

gringal wrote:
simpsca wrote:A friend who got the story about Hole in One told me she was by the other day and it was packed with Mexicans. Does that help the debate about SD plates? Not commenting on the dancing part:)

Just went to Superlake and checked out the new Mexican menu.....WOW......very inexpensive and a nice variety of items. How about 30 peso burgers? Maybe the answer has been found.
Back when they went with chef Eric and the gourmet route they were just Unclear on the Concept. At those prices, I want some seriously fine atmosphere.

I'm just kiddin' about those South Dakota people: I don't blame them a bit for moving here. Much nicer weather.
And .........you can't boogie much if your feets are freezing.
Beer

And the fine atmosphere is what you'll get at Chef Erics new place Hacienda del Lago.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Where is Hacienda del Lago?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 pm

simpsca wrote:Where is Hacienda del Lago?

Southwest corner of Aquiles Serdan and Ocampo.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 am

slainte39 wrote:

Google it and you'll see all the pics, looks nice. It's now a B & B, smartly decorated that serves a Sunday Brunch, Lunch and Dinner. It was someone's home on the market for 1.2 million, yes $$$.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 am

Hole in One usually packs them in when Zona Cuba is playing - a great mixed crowd of Mexican and foreigners, and there ARE foreigners who like to dance to latin music. They were playing every other Friday, but don't know for now, I have to call to find out. The food is fine too, especially when they have their two-for menu.

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am

slainte39 wrote:

Wow! Can't believe I missed this one. Have to give it a try.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:04 pm

angela04101 wrote:Hole in One usually packs them in when Zona Cuba is playing - a great mixed crowd of Mexican and foreigners, and there ARE foreigners who like to dance to latin music. They were playing every other Friday, but don't know for now, I have to call to find out. The food is fine too, especially when they have their two-for menu.

Had lunch @ Hole in One today......5 workers, we were the only customers. Burger was 59 pesos, and not pure beef, more of a vegie mix, good but not what I expected. Mug of Modello was 30 pesos, bottle was 19 pesos. Place looks to be in disarray range shut down.....looks like days are numbered or massive change coming. Menu was in Spanish, no prices listed on the 5" X 10" menu....Just an FYI.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down