INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US government tells computer users to disable Java

+8
gringal
tictoc
exajijicresident
CHILLIN
ComputerGuy
merry
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

US government tells computer users to disable Java - Page 3 Empty Re: US government tells computer users to disable Java

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:The library has always been a great thing about the LCS for those who like to read. But I now get everything on my Kindle or Tablet.

Yep you are the future and I am part of the past. I love the musty smell of an old book.

Luddite Zed
LOL me and my wife disagree on this one. She insist our kids read "real" books, I insist they use CURRENT tech... Very Happy

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

US government tells computer users to disable Java - Page 3 Empty Re: US government tells computer users to disable Java

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Good one, tictoc. Also Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC: Virtual
For TRUE protection. run VB on your root system. Create a machine for the web with a backup. If it ever gets corrupted, delete and use the backup... No antivirus needed... Your root system never sees the world. You do need to watch out for port scanners but now you are into firewall security.

Last edited by tictoc on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

My girlfriend was so skeptical when I got her a Kindle last year. She loves books, as do I... but now unless either of us have a special reason (like when the frikkin' battery dies...) the eReader is just so handy. Specially now that I've upgraded her to the PaperWhite. And I'm just waiting for my Nook Glow Touch to arrive, so I can enjoy the relative sanity of their OS vs. the Kindle's mind-numbingly moronic setup.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

tictoc wrote:
For TRUE protection. run VB on your root system. Create a machine for the web with a backup. If it ever gets corrupted, delete and use the backup... No antivirus needed... Your root system never sees the world. You do need to watch out for port scanners but now you are into firewall security.
Don't care for sandboxing and virtualizing myself. I just experiment with too many things, and they always get in the way. But then of course I'm the guy who doesn't use computer rubbers anyway...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

tictoc wrote:
Oh and to get back on topic. You can still run the ever so vulnerable Java...

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:31 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
tictoc wrote:
Don't care for sandboxing and virtualizing myself. I just experiment with too many things, and they always get in the way. But then of course I'm the guy who doesn't use computer rubbers anyway...
I'm right there with you (no AV for me). But there are others in this world who live in fear... so they need options.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

For those who do live in a state of cable-news-imposed fear, I heartily recommend Michael Crichton's fiction novel, State of Fear. It made me think, that's for sure.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks for the book tip. I like Michael Crichton. If you really want to feel paranoia read Jeffrey Deaver's "The Broken Window".
I don't have anything to contribute to this Techie gathering but I'm enjoying reading it and finding out how much I have absolutely no clue about.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Now if we could get an interest in my mechanical section it would be like a grand slam for me. Fishing, tech & cars......my 3 passions.

Your wife still talkin' to you CBob?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 pm

ferret wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Now if we could get an interest in my mechanical section it would be like a grand slam for me. Fishing, tech & cars......my 3 passions.

Your wife still talkin' to you CBob?

Hahahahaha, CB. Good one, Ferret!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 pm

ferret wrote:
I don't have anything to contribute to this Techie gathering but I'm enjoying reading it and finding out how much I have absolutely no clue about.

I keep waiting/hoping that John is going to come online and post that it is all BS, so I can go to bed relieved of my anguish and frustration in trying to comprehend. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 pm

I have a bucket-t and am restoring a '74 Celica. I would love a mech forum.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 am

tictoc wrote:
tictoc wrote:
Oh and to get back on topic. You can still run the ever so vulnerable Java...

We don't have to be on target when talking about technology. The drifts many times are better than the original post/question.
It is the nasty for example MS wonks vs Apple wonks stuff that we should avoid IMHO. We all know the issues if you are part
of the tech scene.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 am

tictoc wrote:

How about "Anything with a motor" section LOL.

Me too....

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 am

slainte39 wrote:
ferret wrote:

I keep waiting/hoping that John is going to come online and post that it is all BS, so I can go to bed relieved of my anguish and frustration in trying to comprehend. lol!

HelperGuy and I were talking and we think we will have two section one for questions and another for heavier discussions. We know we can't be 100%
geek all the time or we will lose folks. We want a place where we can talk about there problems and not be made fun of and we want a section where
we can talk about "the details about Java script versus Java itself" and argue in a serious manner but not get nasty. No "Gene you ignorant slut"
comments. (stole that from original sat night live point counterpoint spoof). We know we have a problem with different levels of knowledge with
our users here..... (no users are not a bad term, just a widely used one amoung computer folks). We don't want to frustrate anyone we want to
help.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am

tictoc wrote:

We have the auto repairs section so please feel free to post pics and details about your projects. Are you here at the lake?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:42 pm

ferret wrote:Thanks for the book tip. I like Michael Crichton. If you really want to feel paranoia read Jeffrey Deaver's "The Broken Window".
Thanks, I'll try that, right after my King novel and after the new (first ever) Dick Wolf, he who created Law & Order....
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 am

CanuckBob wrote:
tictoc wrote:

We have the auto repairs section so please feel free to post pics and details about your projects. Are you here at the lake?
Unfortunately not yet. I will be there soon enough though. I have the family on a "plan" lol. Also the bucket-t will not be joining me when I do. I am however very interested in how the new car laws are going to work out. I believe I am going to have to import the Celia. Also, I like your bug. I had a VW sand-rail once. Had tuns of fun with that thing.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3