INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US government tells computer users to disable Java

+8
gringal
tictoc
exajijicresident
CHILLIN
ComputerGuy
merry
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

US government tells computer users to disable Java - Page 2 Empty Re: US government tells computer users to disable Java

Post by CHILLIN Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I can remember eagerly waiting for the next issue of "Byte"magazine to come out -now THAT is geeeky Shocked

CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

US government tells computer users to disable Java - Page 2 Empty Re: US government tells computer users to disable Java

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 pm

I was games editor for RESET Magazine, dedicated to the Atari ST, and Advertising Director. We got three colour copies out the door before the owner went bust. The only job that was also my hobby... am I a geek? No, I'm NERD..............!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 am

CHILLIN wrote:I can remember eagerly waiting for the next issue of "Byte"magazine to come out -now THAT is geeeky Shocked

Chaos Manner with Pourenelle

Ciarros (sp) Cellar

Oh yea baby

MaGraw Hill was a great company than...

Z

Try Maximum PC magazine or if you want to use old school try PC world but it puts me to sleep these days LOL.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 am

HelperGuy wrote:I was games editor for RESET Magazine, dedicated to the Atari ST, and Advertising Director. We got three colour copies out the door before the owner went bust. The only job that was also my hobby... am I a geek? No, I'm NERD..............!

I was an Amiga guy just as bad LOL.

I actually worked on the first adventure game on the HP 3000 MPE mainframe. You remember....

"Look to the north"

You look to the north and see a tree with a mark on it.

"Look to the south"

You see a pond with a magic duck on it.

No video just words. We use to make these big maps on the floor using the plotter paper used to print out maps of chips as we were working
on the first chips for programable calculators that were handheld.

I had no life ....... :-) :-)

But I am a geek. What is a geek? A nerd who makes money! LOL

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 am

Hey CB how about a computer and technology forum??? We have enough
people to do it and see we can be civil. I would be willing to moderate it.

You know it would be fun to build two identical PC's one with virus protection
and one without and do and go to identical tasks and web locations and see
if HelperGuy is right and all of us have been wasting our time.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:54 am

gringal wrote:Maybe Geeks are used to dealing with REAL problems. LOL.

Nah I think we are discovering geeks we didn't know were around. I am impressed actually
or I wouldn't ask CB for a computer and technology forum.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
CHILLIN wrote:I can remember eagerly waiting for the next issue of "Byte"magazine to come out -now THAT is geeeky Shocked
Chaos Manner with Pourenelle Ciarros (sp) Cellar Oh yea baby MaGraw Hill was a great company than... Z Try Maximum PC magazine or if you want to use old school try PC world but it puts me to sleep these days LOL.
I subscribe to both, and now I am getting a few British PC magazines on my tablet. Max PC is too hardware-driven for me, and yes, PC World is very light, but at least it's a connection. PC Magazine went all-digital some years back but wants too much money for me to get it on the web... perhaps it's time to check it out on the tablet.

And you'll recall when PC Magazine and Byte were SO full of advertising, they looked like the city phone book every month.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:I was games editor for RESET Magazine, dedicated to the Atari ST, and Advertising Director. We got three colour copies out the door before the owner went bust. The only job that was also my hobby... am I a geek? No, I'm NERD..............!

I was an Amiga guy just as bad LOL.

I actually worked on the first adventure game on the HP 3000 MPE mainframe. You remember....

"Look to the north"

You look to the north and see a tree with a mark on it.

"Look to the south"

You see a pond with a magic duck on it.

No video just words. We use to make these big maps on the floor using the plotter paper used to print out maps of chips as we were working
on the first chips for programable calculators that were handheld.

I had no life ....... :-) :-)

But I am a geek. What is a geek? A nerd who makes money! LOL

Z
(I'd REALLY like to set your screen up so you don't have to Carriage Return, lol!) I played those text adventure games for years, including Attack of the Amazon Women From OuterSpace, or whatever it was, that came with a scrach'n'sniff card. Then I got heavily into the graphic adventure games, where you saw action but still had to plot your maps. Great days!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:58 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Hey CB how about a computer and technology forum??? We have enough people to do it and see we can be civil. I would be willing to moderate it.
You know it would be fun to build two identical PC's one with virus protection and one without and do and go to identical tasks and web locations and see if HelperGuy is right and all of us have been wasting our time. Z
I'm up for that kind of forum, for sure. And I know a couple of people who refrain from posting too much because they worry about getting overly technoid on everyone. I also, unfortunately, know a couple on the other board who would be snide and holier-than-thou, especially on topics like spyware, but that's what a good Mod is for, right?

One topic I could post right away: every month I have leftover computer magazines. If you can find them at the magazine store here, they run (at least last time I looked) 160 pesos. I'm more than happy just to pass them on.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Hey CB how about a computer and technology forum??? We have enough
people to do it and see we can be civil. I would be willing to moderate it.

Z

Sounds like a great idea Zed. Give me a few days to get it built then I'll come by to discuss.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 am

Far out!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 am

Now if we could get an interest in my mechanical section it would be like a grand slam for me. Fishing, tech & cars......my 3 passions.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:05 am

Here's a question from a computer dummy,is it really advisable to change passwords on a regular basis and if so why?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Hey CB how about a computer and technology forum??? We have enough people to do it and see we can be civil. I would be willing to moderate it.
You know it would be fun to build two identical PC's one with virus protection and one without and do and go to identical tasks and web locations and see if HelperGuy is right and all of us have been wasting our time. Z
I'm up for that kind of forum, for sure. And I know a couple of people who refrain from posting too much because they worry about getting overly technoid on everyone. I also, unfortunately, know a couple on the other board who would be snide and holier-than-thou, especially on topics like spyware, but that's what a good Mod is for, right?

One topic I could post right away: every month I have leftover computer magazines. If you can find them at the magazine store here, they run (at least last time I looked) 160 pesos. I'm more than happy just to pass them on.

I would like to read one or two especially if you have MAXPC my favorite.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

viajero wrote:Here's a question from a computer dummy,is it really advisable to change passwords on a regular basis and if so why?

Like HelperGuy and no anti-virus software Zed doesn't ever change his passwords but I don't live very dangerously out there either on the internet.
When I go out to play with the boys I logon to a very limitied highly secure account and browser that can't be modified easily. Come back home I
relog onto my normal account.

Oh yea you wanted an answer right. Well one reason is to limit how long someone could use your stolen password. However if your password is ABC123 no matter how often you change it you are still going to be cracked quickly. If your password is your kids name you are toast also. Try
four to eight numbers mixed with four to eight letters. Some places will let you use special characters like ! or ^ and up the anty. So my answer
is yea you probably should change your password a couple of times a year but make it a password that cannot be cracked easily. I admit I don't
ever change mine. My Bad.

Other words of wisdom here LOL.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Good question, and as usual I have strong feelings on passwords. Zed is correct in that it's fairly easy to steal a password that's been hijacked or snagged using a keystroke recorder. Then of course it's just as easy to get your next one, using the same method. So changing a password frequently really makes no difference.

A more serious point to consider: who would be stealing it? Probably people who don't know your kids name in the first place. And probably not your maid or your neighbour. There's no point in having a LogOn password for Windows if you are not in an office environment, because really... who cares? If a ladron steals your laptop, two things come to mind: 1. He is going to sell it as a laptop, and cares not what's inside; 2. The password is easily bypassed by removing the hard drive and plunking it into another machine, so if the purpose of the theft is getting your information, the password is moot.

I personally don't change my password for anything, unless I am forced to because of policy changes on the website(s).
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:

Z
Once we get this going, perhaps we'll have others willing to donate. Then we could pick a drop-off place. I subscribe to Max PC and PC World, but once I'm done with them, they just collect dust.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:07 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:

Z
Once we get this going, perhaps we'll have others willing to donate. Then we could pick a drop-off place. I subscribe to Max PC and PC World, but once I'm done with them, they just collect dust.

I could keep them locked up at LCS in the magazine room. Can't leave them out or we would never see them again. Computer and sci fi mags never
come back. I already keep the sci fi mags seperate to keep them from being stolen.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Not a bad idea, but what about people who don't have an LCS membership? (And don't want one, like me, lol.)
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for your replies,I did try to use passwords not so easily cracked,but I haven't changed them in years and so far have'nt had any problems,knock on wood.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:19 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Not a bad idea, but what about people who don't have an LCS membership? (And don't want one, like me, lol.)

I work there I run the magazine room and book sales. LCS doesn't care if you come into the magazine room. No id check from me. My main goal
is to not have too many rules in the magazine room. Yes the library and other things are not for non members but walking in is no big deal. The
library is worth the membership dues alone but I shouldn't turn it into a commercial LOL.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

The library has always been a great thing about the LCS for those who like to read. But I now get everything on my Kindle or Tablet.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm

HelperGuy wrote:The library has always been a great thing about the LCS for those who like to read. But I now get everything on my Kindle or Tablet.

Yep you are the future and I am part of the past. I love the musty smell of an old book.

Luddite Zed

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:

Z
No need to go to all that trouble and expense...
virtualbox

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Good one, tictoc. Also Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC: Virtual
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:The library has always been a great thing about the LCS for those who like to read. But I now get everything on my Kindle or Tablet.

Yep you are the future and I am part of the past. I love the musty smell of an old book.

Luddite Zed
LOL me and my wife disagree on this one. She insist our kids read "real" books, I insist they use CURRENT tech... Very Happy

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next