INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Must see/do things in Ajijic

+19
Lady Otter Latté
simpsca
slainte39
Smartalex
CheenaGringo
Rosa Venus
CanuckBob
little italy
Jim W
viajero
David
peteben
hkrause
Carry Bean
sundown
gvprod
Tony_In_Mexico
oncesubtle
Lakeside Bound
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Must see/do things in Ajijic Empty Must see/do things in Ajijic

Post by Lakeside Bound Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 am

Good morning everyone. I am new to this board and I am looking for some information.
I will be visiting Ajijic for the first time the end of March. Unfortunately I only have 6 days to cram in as much as I can and I would love some advice on must see/do things while I am there. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Lakeside Bound

Back to top Go down

Must see/do things in Ajijic Empty Re: Must see/do things in Ajijic

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:04 am

Welcome aboard! To better help might I ask your reasoning is for visiting lakeside? If you are looking at lakeside as a possible retirement destination the suggestions will be more focused than if you are coming down for fun, sightseeing and relaxing.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeside Bound Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

Oncesubtle - I plan on moving to Lakeside but a positive date is not known at this time. I have read so much about the area over the past several years and just don't know what to do first. Originally I had planned on doing some research on rental properties, but my visit has been cut short so will leave that until I am closer to an actual move date. Since there are so many little towns/villages along the lake I figured Ajijic would be the starting point for this trip to just get a feel for the area and the people.

Lakeside Bound

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

I'd suggest eating or strolling around the plazas in both Ajijic and Chapala. Chapala's malecon (pier) is nice. Haven't been to the one in Ajijic. Also, figure out what sort of money you're going to want to eventually spend on rent. Ajijic is more expensive than Chapala, so you may want to concentrate your visit in one place or the other. Of course, with a vehicle everything is relatively close. Probably want to visit the markets. They are a great way to get a glimpse of every day life as well as a look in the culture and local color.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 am

I'd also recommend hiring a English/Spanish speaking guide for your first day to take you on a tour of the area. The cost for 8 hours would be about $80 U.S.. Or if you wish you can rent a car for $29 - $36 and do it yourself. Also, having lived here a while and this being a small town, I know there are realtors who would be only too happy to show you properties to buy or rent when you do decide to move here. I think if you plan your days you will be amazed at all you can see, do and learn.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeside Bound Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:45 am

Any suggestions on a English/Spanish speaking guide?

Lakeside Bound

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 pm

while in Ajijic, make sure you eat some "Tachigual" bread. It is only made in Ajijic, no where else in the world can you find this bread.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

I suggest visiting the Lake chapala society in Ajijic. You can meet many retirees & ask many questions.

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Lakeside Bound wrote:Any suggestions on a English/Spanish speaking guide?
I called an acquaintance named Anthony for the quote and would recommend him but I'm sure there are others. If you do want to use him I'd think about a weeks advance notice would be fine.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm

I second Anthony

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Bookmark the site below & check back closer to the time you'll be arriving for what's happening in March.

http://ajijicnews.com/pages/eventscalendar

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Lakeside Bound wrote:Any suggestions on a English/Spanish speaking guide?

When we were looking around the area we used Sid Grosvenor, who is a buyer's agent. He doesn't have any property listings of his own, and did a good job of showing us around the different areas Lakeside, from Vista del Lago around to Roca Azul. Pointed out the positives AND negatives of different properties and areas. He won't be here when you're visiting, but I think he has other people on his team who might be able to help. You can get in touch and let him know what you're wanting to do and see if they can assist with an orientation tour the first day you're here. It would be a good way to get an overall idea of the different areas and developments, then you could focus your attention the rest of the trip on areas that seemed interesting. For more info, check his website: http://www.chapalaclub.com

There are lots of other good real estate agents that will also be happy to show you around the area. Some may be less willing to go as far afield to show you the entire area, and most may prefer to concentrate on showing just their own listings, which might be fine for your first visit. Even if you're planning to rent when you get here, the real estate community is often willing to show you around the area. In some cases, they may hope you change your mind and decide to buy. Other agents and companies may have rental places they're happy to show you. Just be upfront and let them know what you're interested in, and you'll probably find somebody to show you around at no cost.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by peteben Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

If you're eventually interested in buying, you should join one of the 'house tours' that every realtor seems to offer. You will spend a few hours, visit a few houses in different neighborhoods, meet some realtors and other people in your situation. It's a good way to get a feel for the houses that are available here, even if your intention is to rent. Don't spend too much time looking at houses on your first visit, though.
You might also enjoy the day tour of Tonala and Tlaquepaque that Charter Club tours offers. If you intend to shop for any souvenirs, those places are not to be missed, although plenty of nice stuff can be found Lakeside, too.

In general, weekdays are quite relaxed at Lakeside, with fewer people everywhere; weekends are more crowded with the influx of Tapatios. Sundays on the Ajijic plaza and malecon (boardwalk) are always nice, though, when Mexican families gather to enjoy the day.

HTH,
Pete

peteben
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:37 pm

I second the suggestion of joining realtor's "home tours." I'd advise against getting involved with any individual agent this early. Be sure to visit SuperLake, the "gringo grocery," The Lake Chapala Society, the Plazas of Chapala, San Antonio, and Ajijic as well as their respective Malecons. There are many resturants worthy of visits as well.

I recommend Rene' Canstneda as your guide. PM for phone #.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm

David wrote: Be sure to visit SuperLake, the "gringo grocery,"
Definitely a "must see". Rolling Eyes

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeside Bound Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm

I will not have a car so we will be walking unless we hire a driver/guide. Has any one used the Charter Club Travel Agency?

Lakeside Bound

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm

viajero wrote:

Chris, that's a first for me as well...Shocked...should we leave COSTCO out?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

My suggestion is do it on your own. Walk the village to get a feel for the area. Why would you want a guide? just my opinion. we came to Ajijic one summer to check things out, like you we only had a week. We returned the next five years staying 5 weeks each time. We drove. Your stay is such a short time. You will either get a really good feeling about the area or not. We as you research the area via web sites, web boards like this etc., however, it really takes some time time to check things out, anyway, hope you enjoy.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 pm

We pretty much did the same thing. We came 5 years in a row for 4-6 weeks at a time. We stayed in a different area each year. We tried everything from lakefront to the mountainside to the center of the village. By the second or third visit you really have a feel for things and a good idea of where you would like to be.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Lakeside Bound wrote:I will not have a car so we will be walking unless we hire a driver/guide. Has any one used the Charter Club Travel Agency?

I've used them for a tour around the lake, the Tequila Express, and a trip to the round pyramids, all day trips which we were happy with. I don't think they do any tours around the Lakeside area, unless it's something you arrange special??

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 pm

In my mind how you spend a vacation, and how you explore a place as a possible location to move to, are two very different things. Since you don't have a car, and you only have six days, it's a fine idea to hire someone to take you to the different towns one day so you can at least have a look at the area. Other than that, I wouldn't try to "cram in" any "must sees" or take tours to sites. (Besides, there aren't any, really.) I'd just hang out and try to imagine myself living in this area. See what it feels like. Catch the vibe and all that jazz. Good luck.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Now that many locals have chimed in, a bit different suggestion from someone who doesn't live there but has a fair amount of experience. With only six days, I would suggest spending five of those getting a feel for the north shore of Lake Chapala. How you do that depends on your personalities and confidence level. We lean towards being in control of our movements and rental cars fit our style. Driving from the airport to the Lake isn't a daunting task and we don't find a great deal of intimidation from the infamous terrible drivers at the Lake. Since Guadalajara and its opportunities for big city shopping, its reputation for fine medical facilities and its cultural benefits are a part of the "larger picture", I would suggest the hiring of a knowledgeable driver for a one day tour of Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque and Tonala would be most beneficial.

Your mileage may vary - YMMV!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:47 pm

In no particular order:

- Walk yourselves around Ajijic, from the plaza to the pier and along the malecon. You may want to eat at Tango while you're there.

- Walk the malecon in Chapala on a Sunday. You may want to eat there too.

- Go to the hot springs in San Juan Cosala...the big one.

- Don't miss the Wednesday tianguis (farmer's market) in Ajijic. Although it's a small tianguis, it has a lot more in the way of arts and crafts to choose from

- Do you ride horses? You can rent horses near the tianguis and take a ride along the lake.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm

viajero wrote:

A drive thru the parking area will take you 15 minutes.......and a loss of interest. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Lakeside Bound wrote:I will not have a car so we will be walking unless we hire a driver/guide. Has any one used the Charter Club Travel Agency?

I've done a fair amount of Charter Club Tours, a good way to see a lot of different areas. They do several trips around to the south side of the lake - Mazamitla is one of the areas and on the way you see a good deal of the south side of the lake. They are a first rate tour group. This is their website showing day tours: http://www.charterclubtours.com.mx/tours.html Then there is Noe on the advertising banner at the top of the page and he does good trips outside this area. San Miguele and several other colonial cities coming up soon.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next