INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No simple answers

+18
E-raq
slainte39
Trailrunner
tictoc
juanrey
viajero
David
seisdedos
jrm30655
sundown
gringal
RoofBob
hound dog
joec
CheenaGringo
ferret
Flamingo
Lady Otter Latté
22 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

No simple answers - Page 4 Empty Re: No simple answers

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

John:

Seems to me that you predicted something similar about Obama being reelected? It seems that some of the politicians who have always supported the NRA and have received top grades from the NRA have recently publicly stated a change in positions.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 am

CheenaGringo wrote:John:

Seems to me that you predicted something similar about Obama being reelected? It seems that some of the politicians who have always supported the NRA and have received top grades from the NRA have recently publicly stated a change in positions.

I guess the key word is "some" but maybe not nearly enough to do anything.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:39 am

True. I guess we will see which politicians have a spine and who the weasels are? Seems that with a majority sentiment for certain forms of gun & ammunition control, it might be a dangerous game fighting control and having controls implemented. They then become known for being on the losing side - ammunition for future election opponents.

Last edited by CheenaGringo on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 am

I believe they'll do something that looks and sounds good for political purposes but will have little actual impact. There are hundreds of thousands of assault weapons and large capacitiy clips in private hands. While new legislation may outlaw the further sale of such items I believe that those already in private hands will remain so.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:27 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Perfect Seis!!!!
[img]No simple answers - Page 4 40661110[/img]

The area was a gun free area.

When I was in the AF, I had a rating that allowed me to carry classified stuff. They would give me the package and a handgun. They would bring them to the plane just before takeoff. I would get on the plane (I was a pilot) and fly to the next stop. Then I would surrender the package and gun and pick them up for the next leg.

Why they gve me a gun was beyond me. The only people on the plane was the crew and I needed them.

I couldn't leave the aircraft until the package and gun was handed over. I couldn't carry a gun off the flight line.

Even flying into Vietnam, we weren't supposed to be armed. I flew 150 troops in once armed to the teeth but I couldn't have one.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:28 pm

whats next? banning knives in steak resturants? the cook cuts the meat for you. new law. after all, a mental case can be @the next table, you never know. a group of mental cases, they had reservations. "restaurant mass murders on the rise". anything can happen these days, anywhere. any potential weapon must be banned. why wait for the inevitable? we need one big national TSA.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:45 am

bennie#2 wrote:whats next? banning knives in steak resturants? the cook cuts the meat for you. new law. after all, a mental case can be @the next table, you never know. a group of mental cases, they had reservations. "restaurant mass murders on the rise". anything can happen these days, anywhere. any potential weapon must be banned. why wait for the inevitable? we need one big national TSA.

No, I don't want to ban knives, and that is just a stupid comparison. I want to adopt the same kind of gun regulations that every other civilized, industrialized country in the world has.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:36 am

It's pointless to compare guns with anything. Don't insult us. Even apples and oranges are fruit; knives and guns are as dissimilar as pot roast and licorice. A ballpoint pen can be dangerous if you know how to use it. I'd like to see someone pop 26 bouncing balloons with a knife.

Next time I see a set of automatic weapons hanging on the wall by the pots in the kitchen of my favorite restaurant, I may reconsider my opinion.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 am

Any argument by proponents of "2nd ammendment rights", comparing guns (firearms) to automobiles, knives, baseball bats or anything else that you could use to kill is ludicrous.
Ask yourself...What type of firearm was available when Madison, Jefferson, et.al. wrote the Constitution?...dueling pistols?...single shot muskets?... that took longer to load than firing a half a dozen clips with today's semi-automatic rifles.
The 2nd ammendment is about as viable a "law of the land" as ordinances requiring hitching posts for horses outside of saloons.

Idiocy at the lowest level.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:54 am

slainte39 wrote:Any argument by proponents of "2nd ammendment rights", comparing guns (firearms) to automobiles, knives, baseball bats or anything else that you could use to kill is ludicrous.
Ask yourself...What type of firearm was available when Madison, Jefferson, et.al. wrote the Constitution?...dueling pistols?...single shot muskets?... that took longer to load than firing a half a dozen clips with today's semi-automatic rifles.
The 2nd ammendment is about as viable a "law of the land" as ordinances requiring hitching posts for horses outside of saloons.

Sorry, no "scratches head" smiley so I'll create my own :scratcheshead:

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 am

they should not ban guns totally. they may have to ban sales on some types of weapons. also have to change the requirements of gun ownership.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am

scratch The Smiley

The term started in Latin: "Reductio ad absurdam" but translated, it is "reducing the argument to the absurd",
which this thread has achieved, in spades

No simple answers - Page 4 477249 seems more appropriate

Last edited by gringal on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am

The CEO from the NRA was on TV telling everyone it's not guns, it's violent video games. Of course it's never guns and the NRA who does nothing to ban assault weapons and pay off Senators and Congressman.

His other point was having an armed policeman, retired, or armed security at each school in America, which I totally agree with. He compared that minor cost to the major Foreign Aid we p.... away every year.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 am

gringal wrote: scratch The Smiley

The term started in Latin: but translated, it is "reducing the argument to the absurd",
which this thread has achieved, in spades

No simple answers - Page 4 477249 seems more appropriate
AH thank you, I must have missed it.

scratch

Oh and you are absolute correct. I for one feel bad I had anything to do with it. I was merely attempting to point out that my opinion is that we need more education.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 am

joec wrote:The CEO from the NRA was on TV telling everyone it's not guns, it's violent video games. Of course it's never guns and the NRA who does nothing to ban assault weapons and pay off Senators and Congressman.

His other point was having an armed policeman, retired, or armed security at each school in America, which I totally agree with. He compared that minor cost to the major Foreign Aid we p.... away every year.

I wonder what "minor cost" is? The US Foreign Aid budget $52B) is less than 1.5% of the total Federal budget, the majority going to Egypt and Israel. According to the National Center for Education Statistics there were 98,817 public schools in the USA in the 2009-2010 school year. Put a security guard in each one at a cost of (?) say $50,000, that would cost ~$5B, or 10% of the cost of Foreign Aid. I'd agree that 10% qualifies as minor.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:56 am

David wrote:
joec wrote:The CEO from the NRA was on TV telling everyone it's not guns, it's violent video games. Of course it's never guns and the NRA who does nothing to ban assault weapons and pay off Senators and Congressman.

I wonder what "minor cost" is? The US Foreign Aid budget $52B) is less than 1.5% of the total Federal budget, the majority going to Egypt and Israel. According to the National Center for Education Statistics there were 98,817 public schools in the USA in the 2009-2010 school year. Put a security guard in each one at a cost of (?) say $50,000, that would cost ~$5B, or 10% of the cost of Foreign Aid. I'd agree that 10% qualifies as minor.

Lets cut all foreign aid until we know which countries are actually on OUR side and not pretending to be.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:23 pm

Not sure what this means in the grand scope of things but the Albuquerque Public School system does have its own police force comprised of 50+ officers earning between $32K and $45K depending on rank. These are not rent a cops or private security but rather fully certified by the State of New Mexico police officers. They are responsible for 27 middle schools and 13 high schools but not the elementary schools like Sandy Hook.

I have read suggestions about arming teachers and consider that to be asinine. Apparently TX & UT are two States who do allow concealed carry by teachers? Heck we cannot even seem to educate teachers to be good teachers and now we want to make them into junior cops?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:19 pm

tictoc wrote:
slainte39 wrote:Any argument by proponents of "2nd ammendment rights", comparing guns (firearms) to automobiles, knives, baseball bats or anything else that you could use to kill is ludicrous.

Sorry, no "scratches head" smiley so I'll create my own :scratcheshead:

What are you scratching your head about? The thought of "self creation"? scratch

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:34 pm

there were 2-3 armed guards @ superlake yesterday. that would work for schools.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 pm

bennie#2 wrote:there were 2-3 armed guards @ superlake yesterday. that would work for schools.

Columbine had an armed law enforcement officer on the premises.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:48 am

bennie#2 wrote:there were 2-3 armed guards @ superlake yesterday. that would work for schools.

Does this menn that Barney Fife retired to Lakeside with that one bullet Sheriff Andy gave him and brought along Gomer?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:24 pm

hound dog, what does that mean? who are those people?

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Shit, and here I thought John knew everything!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:33 pm

bennie#2 wrote:hound dog, what does that mean? who are those people?
Well, gaw-aw-awl-leee!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:41 pm

bennie#2 wrote:hound dog, what does that mean? who are those people?

If, Bennie#2 you are 74 years old and from the United States you are shining me on if you tell me you don´t know about Andy, Barney and Gomer. However, if you are from Newfoundland and only found out about electronic wizzardry such as television in the 1990s, I understand. Dawg cannot explain it but suggest Google.

I was having fun with the notion of two moronic armed guards in the Superlake parking lot as suggested by another poster, guarding Superlake. Now, that´s funny. If I were in charge of that parking lot I would have them shoot mercilessly at least half of the old farts who try to park there but only after they had paid for their merchandise. Super Lake management could arrange a mass discount cremation policy for these old coots and everybody wins. The Chapala cops could look the other way which is their primary talent at all times.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:03 pm

dog, i was the poster who mentioned the superlake guards. im sure they are ready to follow your suggestion, yes the police will "look the other way" as usual. as for gomer who ever, i assume its TV. i watched TV 24/7 growing up. i assume it was that stupid show w/some hick w/a southern accent? andy something. i skipped that show, not worth google.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next