INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out?

+5
brigitte
wheels
slainte39
binky
joec
9 posters

Go down

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out? Empty What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out?

Post by joec Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 am

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests?

Or are you dining out? If so where?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out? Empty Re: What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out?

Post by binky Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am

Like many, we are fleeing the Fiesta St. Andres. Having Turkey Day dinner in the US with family.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out? Empty Re: What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests or dining out?

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 am

joec wrote:What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you having guests?

I thought Thanksgiving was in October? Is there a second one somewhere in the world? scratch

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 am

slainte39 wrote:

I thought Thanksgiving was in October? Is there a second one somewhere in the world? scratch

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. Of course you are joking or have you lived here so long that you forgot that the real Thanksgiving in the US is in November.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 am

joec wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. Of course you are joking or have you lived here so long that you forgot that the real Thanksgiving in the US is in November.

YES!!! Shocked

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Does that mean Canadians celebrate Christmas in November??
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by wheels Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I'll be having Thanksgiving dinner at our home with about 8 to 10 people with all of the trimmings and homemade pies.

wheels

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm

We are not doing anything, it is not celebrated in France.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:22 pm

We're trying to ingratiate ourselves with our American friends so maybe they'll invite us to theirs. Of course that means knocking our socks off before the day with dinner parties which must be reciprocated, however for some of our friends, it's worth it. Damned good pies, yummy stuffing, nice and buttery, lotsa gravy, and that deep fried turkey. Hint to anyone reading this coming to our place before thanksgiving, you know who you are. Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Used to do the whole bit: now......there are restaurants serving up the feast; no tired hostess; no doing the dishes: Heaven.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Prime rib with a crust of coarse stone ground mustard, rosemary, garlic, sea salt and four color peppercorn mix. I haven't figured out the rest as yet. Just the two of us.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Prime rib with a crust of coarse stone ground mustard, rosemary, garlic, sea salt and four color peppercorn mix. I haven't figured out the rest as yet. Just the two of us.

Sounds great. The rotisserie arrives on wednesday. BTW I mentioned your fabulous turkey to a prospective host, the one bringing back the rotisserie. Now since he has a much bigger barbeque, a newly gussied up kitchen and totally redone main floor and terrazza. I'm figuring maybe, just maybe, we'll get invited. Fingers crossed.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 pm

One thing I forgot to mention - Do Not Try This With an Injected Turkey! I have tried it with a brined turkey and just a plain turkey and really didn't observe much difference. It seems that the Real Mayo holds in the natural juices and prevents any drying out of the meat.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Ok, Mayo got my attention. Do tell por favor.

We've usually gone to friends but will be doing it for 14 this year. Its been 6 years so I am not up on whats new in turkey cooking.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm

solajijic:

Believe it or not, I provided our recipe in the Cheeseburger thread since E-raq was getting a new rotisserie:
http://www.insidelakeside.com/t6126p120-finally-a-great-cheeseburger-at-lakeside
The secret is to use real mayo and not one of the quasi mayos like Miracle Whip. We use wither homemade or Best Foods Mayo.

For me this isn't a new recipe but one I learned from ourrelatives back in the 60's when they cooked a turkey on the old half hood charcoal BBQ and we tented the front with aluminum foil. I like it because it is virtually idiot proof as long as one doesn't try to rush things with too high of heat. We cook whole turkeys in the summer and they are great with potato salad and other typical summertime side dishes. If we are in the mood for turkey gravy, we purchase the double tubs from Costco and have plenty for hot turkey sandwiches or over smashed potatoes.

By the way, the leftover meat, bones, and gravy can be boiled down to make a great turkey soup!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down