INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why folks don't want a hairy beast...

+10
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Sideways
CheenaGringo
Flamingo
Jim W
hockables
gringal
johninajijic
Zedinmexico
Chapalagringa
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why folks don't want a hairy beast... Empty Why folks don't want a hairy beast...

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:05 am

I've been the promoter of the guard dog...albeit, a trained one even. Over the past while, I realize even more, how difficult it would be for some folks to have a hairy beast looking out for them but I would never live where we live without them. Even when I get old, either we'll have one or we won't live here and I plan on this being my last earthly home, God willing. I'll pay for a trained dog before I live here without one if something were to happen to ours. I'll commit to taking it to school and having a trainer work with the dog for me if I'm unable. Why? Because I love it here, this is our home and I feel it's the best deterrent for protecting a home in Mexico other than living where houses are sandwiched together, neighbors are close in a secured gated community.

This is the time of year to be prepared for the worst. Being overly prepared is better than being unprepared. Some folks could do a little something to improve their protection and little by little, before they know it, they'd have all their bases covered.

I just wish folks would be real honest with themselves and those looking to either buy or rent down here so they aren't alarmed when the next wave comes around. Unfortunately, it's going to happen. How many of us have been down here for years and we've lived through it. Some of our homes have been broken into, some folks have been harmed and most have been overlooked.

I had a call recently from someone who gives security advice for living lakeside. They have simple suggestions for making a home secure. Such as replacing a flimsy door lock with one that is more secure. Please don't discourage others by saying no matter how secure you make a home, it can be broken into. I've personally looked over homes that have been broken into and stood in amazement at how little security there really was. Even when one reported about a beefed up home being broken into, had the gardener or maid had a security camera to have been able to see who was out front, they would never have opened the door. Speaking of security cameras, people are investing in them. They're hooking them up to be monitored by their computers and smart cell phones.

I thought how nifty that a neighbor installed a security system w/a 72 hour battery backup that also had a panic siren. That's pretty cool and techy. How about a bull horn or a marine air horn by the bedside to make a heck of a loud noise, hopefully scare the dickens at an intruder & alert the neighbor to come to your aid or call the police for you? btw, anyone know where to get those in Guadalajara or lakeside, I want one?

So the hairy beast. My hairy beast is now more obedient than ever. He can sit, lay down, stay on command and when I call him, he comes and correctly walks to the left side of me and sits down. He can walk off leash, cannot walk ahead of me, he's not allowed to do that, nor lag behind but must stay snuggly to my left. He's perfectly socialized. He's not allowed to sniff you or your dog, so don't sniff him. Upon command he will be alert for a potential bad guy hiding in the bushes or from around or in a car. He is able to attack at my command, doesn't matter where the bad guy is...he'll jump in our car and take his arm and at this point is going for the hand, which is a sign of advancement. The workers in the neighborhood tell me what a handsome dog he is and they know he's bravo(will bite). I can walk at my leisure or briskly, the dog stays obediently with me. Great for someone with a few herniated disks. And coming closely behind his footsteps is a rotty, who is advancing nicely in guard and protection. She's a licker. Loves to give kisses.

I think the only time there could be a potential problem, from speaking with someone with knowledge, if a trained dog is engaged in heavy training for high risk chases & take down for military or police work and they are ON or super keyed up for attack work and haven't had time to calm down, that's when the dog could be potentially dangerous to it's handler on a fluke. In our situation, the dog never gets that keyed up to be a potential hazard to us. That nature of the dog is never awakened as it comes in stages. Did you know that in the states, police dogs are kept in solitary confinement after a training session to calm down? Our dogs can have guard and protection training, they're given a few tries and then it's calm down time. Sessions can be at the most 5-10 mins and after that, pet is laying down and a child could still sit on the dog playing as it's cooling off.

It was nice to finally see another expat couple join the group with their own working dogs. Over time, it will be interesting to see who else jumps on board. Some folks don't like the idea of a wierdo putting bad food in their yard for their dogs...that's covered in obedience training too. Well worth the weekly class at 100 pesos and bring your own dog of choice.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Why folks don't want a hairy beast... Empty Re: Why folks don't want a hairy beast...

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 am

Not saying a dog won't help but I will point out that our friends had a dog
who were kidnapped and they just pointed a gun at the dog and said if you
want a dead dog don't call him off. Dogs have limits. I dont' disagree what
you wrote. Just saying a dog isn't perfect protection and you should think
about what you would do if a gun were pulled on your dog.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Why folks don't want a hairy beast... Empty Re: Why folks don't want a hairy beast...

Post by johninajijic Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:04 am

Chapalagringa - I disagree with much of what you wrote for these reasons, but everyone must do what they think is necessary for a proper comfort level. The only reason you need a dog is if you live in an area prone to many break ins or if your condo opr fracc is near the highway for easy access. If you live in a safe Gated Community, you'll never need a dog.

If you properly protect your home with good quality locks, a piece of wood or rebar in the slider track and you double check your doors and windows for being locked at night you'll never have a problem. Unless you're in an area prone to break ins, you don't need bars on windows. If your walls back up to farmers fields install razor wire. Motion detectors outside of house are good too. We only have one. Bugainvilla planted against walls.An alarm at last resort.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:38 am

I know "it's the season", so I think it's a good idea to share our ideas for home security. Thanks for telling us how it's working with your beasties, Chapalagringa.

I'm contemplating all the posts. I don't have the kind of place where a beastie would work out, so it's an academic question in my case. I'm one of those people happily jammed up against my neighbors in Ajijic. I also have bars and good locks, so it would be a real PITA to break in and manage to get out.....and so far, nobody has. Cross my fingers. I suspect the bad guys are looking for easier targets.......you know......the folks who leave their sliders open a little so the cat and dog can get in and out at night. LOL.

But: Thinking from the point of view of a bad guy, it seems simple: get gun, practice shooting, go to victim's place, shoot dog. Bullet faster than dog, so dead dog.
Owner of dog now scared spitless.......so ...tie up owner as well as anyone else on premises, open the gate, get accomplice and get the burglary done.

I mean..........if you want a dog anyway and don't mind the time and expense of getting it trained properly, that's fine. Foolproof, it probably isn't.

We just installed one of those camera/intercom things at the gate, so now we can see and hear who's there. Works well; avoiding a lot of people soliciting, begging and generally .......people we've never met and don't want to.

I'd like to hear from people who've installed one of those security system alarms where it works if the power is cut. How's that working?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:39 am

Well, I agree with just about everything U said .... razberry

" a loud noise, hopefully scare the dickens at an intruder "
snicker, snicker.... yer funny.... snork

Dogs are great!! U just have to be good with pick'n up the Do Do...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:43 am

OR have full time yard care!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:49 am

Jim W wrote:OR have full time yard care!

OK.... have someone else to pick up the Do Do.... Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:25 am

hockables wrote:
Jim W wrote:OR have full time yard care!

OK.... have someone else to pick up the Do Do.... Beer

LOL. the last time I was willing to clean up do doo, I had a human baby. Never again. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:02 pm

We have opted for watch dogs over guard dogs. We have two breeds who were bred for centuries to act as the first alert, and they take their jobs seriously. I know no one is frightened by a Corgi or a Mini Schnauzer, but when they bark at someone near the fence, and they do, we are alerted and able to take action.

When you choose your dog, learn about the primary breed and what tasks it was bred to do.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:12 pm

johninajijic wrote:Chapalagringa - I disagree with much of what you wrote for these reasons, but everyone must do what they think is necessary for a proper comfort level. The only reason you need a dog is if you live in an area prone to many break ins or if your condo opr fracc is near the highway for easy access. If you live in a safe Gated Community, you'll never need a dog.

If you properly protect your home with good quality locks, a piece of wood or rebar in the slider track and you double check your doors and windows for being locked at night you'll never have a problem. Unless you're in an area prone to break ins, you don't need bars on windows. If your walls back up to farmers fields install razor wire. Motion detectors outside of house are good too. We only have one. Bugainvilla planted against walls.An alarm at last resort.

And if you think you don't want to make one yourself.... you can get them on E-Bay!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:44 pm

gringal wrote:I know "it's the season", so I think it's a good idea to share our ideas for home security. Thanks for telling us how it's working with your beasties, Chapalagringa.

I'm contemplating all the posts. I don't have the kind of place where a beastie would work out, so it's an academic question in my case. I'm one of those people happily jammed up against my neighbors in Ajijic. I also have bars and good locks, so it would be a real PITA to break in and manage to get out.....and so far, nobody has. Cross my fingers. I suspect the bad guys are looking for easier targets.......you know......the folks who leave their sliders open a little so the cat and dog can get in and out at night. LOL.

But: Thinking from the point of view of a bad guy, it seems simple: get gun, practice shooting, go to victim's place, shoot dog. Bullet faster than dog, so dead dog.
Owner of dog now scared spitless.......so ...tie up owner as well as anyone else on premises, open the gate, get accomplice and get the burglary done.

I mean..........if you want a dog anyway and don't mind the time and expense of getting it trained properly, that's fine. Foolproof, it probably isn't.

We just installed one of those camera/intercom things at the gate, so now we can see and hear who's there. Works well; avoiding a lot of people soliciting, begging and generally .......people we've never met and don't want to.

I'd like to hear from people who've installed one of those security system alarms where it works if the power is cut. How's that working?

Gringal, Most Security systems have battery backup. If the phone line is cut for monitored systems.....Probably SOL, however, this should trigger an alarm @ alarm center.....but then again....This is Mexico flag waver
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Not sure about Mexico but some of the NOB systems have a built in cell phone, so loss of power, loss of Internet or loss of phone line are not considerations.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm

In at least two incidents last winter, the dogs were pepper-sprayed first.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 pm

i agree with some of what chapalagringa has said, but i really just think that you can only protect yourself so much. I would rather have my crap stolen then my dogs hurt or killed. I have two rotties, which are from the same litter as chapalagringa(if she is who i think she is) and they are very protective, they will alert us if something is going on and one of them will bark,growl, and warn us while the other stands over us, literally! I do agree with her training her dogs to not eat meat thrown over the wall, but i also want my dogs as my pets, not just gaurd dogs (im not at all saying she does this)
I know we have had break-ins in our area, i just wish the people involved would report it to the office so we know if they are rumours or not. I think our best defense is to know your neighbors and help eachother out. We have an air horn and everyone knows if it goes off call the police. I do like the video camera at the front gate, i will have to look into those more.
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm

This is from an earlier thread this year back in April,
How Does a Mexican Stop a Home Break in? ...sound familiar?? This is Mexican common sense and if it works for them, it'll work for us.

google translated page:
Neighbors unhappy Chapala by rash of thefts
POLICE • 25 April 2012 - 3:04 PM - EDITORIAL MILENIO.COM
Have chosen to assume self-assurance measures such as raising the height of the fences and have vicious dogs in garages and patios to scare away thieves because of Gomez Palacio police does not reach there.

Photo: MILLENNIUM
NO POLICE PRESENCE IN THE INDUSTRY.

Gomez Palacio • Neighborhood streets Casales Socorro and Juan Ibarra of Gomez Palacio Chapala colony, denounced the wave of home burglaries-room who have been victims in broad daylight without achieving arrest those responsible, lacking of surveillance patrols by local police.

One of the residents, who was caring for children of ten and twelve years playing in the square, said that small can not be alone in the games as they are victims of the alien lovers who steal backpacks , cell phones or bring the little money in his pockets.

"Burglaries in homes are a serious problem. Thefts Here are the daily bread, in my first home stole copper pipes and meter, two weeks after they took the pipe to the water tank and detached I think you were not able to take him, now I had to tie with chains and robbed several homes, homeowners who are alone have been the windows, doors and even cups healthcare "reproached Mr. Efren.

Mrs. Mariluz said thefts are continuing in this colony, even said that a few days ago wanted to steal from their neighbors but fortunately the square outfielder who is employed by the municipality could be noticed and would get involved to prevent the housing, called police requesting presence patrols but when they arrived they could do nothing because the robbers enjoyed the flight.

"It is very unusual for doing patrols patrols walk around here, in fact we have this colony are forgotten for all with no policing, only come when the distress call made to the 066 emergency line but it takes much if come it takes up to an hour and sometimes not come to assist us, "claimed the neighboring sector.

The people have chosen sector of self-assurance measures such as raising the height of the fences in homes, place sharp metal tips or glass on the edges of the walls, have vicious dogs in garages or patios, others have opted to hire alarm system for their homes, as part of strategies to ward off the alien lovers, as they ensure that despite his constant demands for more surveillance, their demands are not met by the authority.

Our dogs are definitely pets as well. A small controlled pack.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Didn't we all receive this "sermon" about 6 months ago? I didn't realize that aged Gringos were on a schedule for mental refreshment!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:31 pm

So what is "the season?" Is that when the snowbirds return and therefore more to steal/more opportunities? We're building in a gated community - but I like to be aware.

Thanks
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:42 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Didn't we all receive this "sermon" about 6 months ago? I didn't realize that aged Gringos were on a schedule for mental refreshment!

A good preacher reinforces the sermon periodically, lest we backslide.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:32 pm

quiltbugj wrote: So what is "the season?" Is that when the snowbirds return and therefore more to steal/more opportunities? We're building in a gated community - but I like to be aware.

Thanks

GOOD LUCK! You should've bought John's home! LMAO reference is to Holiday season! Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DonPito Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

quiltbugj wrote: So what is "the season?" Is that when the snowbirds return and therefore more to steal/more opportunities? We're building in a gated community - but I like to be aware.

Thanks

Christmas time/end of year vacations.... you think this happens only around gringos in Mexico? Many people feel under the gun to make things nice or to party and have no resources, so they look for a quick fix for their problems.

DonPito
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:59 pm

DonPito wrote:

Thanks

Christmas time/end of year vacations.... you think this happens only around gringos in Mexico? Many people feel under the gun to make things nice or to party and have no resources, so they look for a quick fix for their problems.

Was that comment intended for me? I don't like to make assumptions.
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks

What community are you building in?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:31 am

guiltbug, Hope your home turns out beautiful and exactly what you hoped for. I hope you find a good carpenter. Glad to hear you chose a gated community. I'm sure you'll be very happy there.

There seems to be predictable times around the holidays is correct, or when it gets warm, windows and doors may be left open and some will sneak into the houses while people are sleeping, seem to know where to rummage around and sneak out.

As I stated in the opening post, I definitely feel there is more security in gated communities. If you can get into a Mexican community where the neighbors will look out for you, there's not much more security than that, from personal experience.

We live in a very rural area now and people are catching on. It's a shame there's been so many changes in the past few years but it is what it is and there's a lot people can do to protect themselves. It's the same complaints in the April article above that we hear in our area when things pick up again. People cry the blues and say it isn't so. From what I've heard, the people receiving newbie classes are getting good security information and that's awesome. It was kind of a shock to me what a bubble this community appeared to be in when we initially came out here 6+ years ago. From the first moment crossing the border, we took extreme measures, even though at the time, we probably didn't need to do all that we did. As we learned the ropes, we loosened up, and when the time came, pulled the reigns back in. I still use a security bar on my steering wheel around the lake after living in Guadalajara for 4 years. Just a good habit.

People don't always take to an idea the first time, but in time, they may remember a suggestion and may even consider it for themselves, especially if it's brought to their attention over time. I have a friend who may be looking for a trained dog so I called the dog school yesterday to see what the owner had for sale. Right now he has a male rotty in advanced obedience guard training that he'll sell for 8,000 pesos. He'd probably negotiate a price. The dog is 12 months old. If someone is interested in the dog, send me a pm or call Wolf's Canine Escuela to see it. I'd take him if I needed one.

I would have thought this area would be targeted more because of all of the expats but I don't think that's the case anymore. Not after reading news articles , such as the April article 6 months ago about another Chapala far north of here, speaking to Mexicans that live around Guadalajara(who say Chapala is tranquillo(melo), another recent article that mentioned one of the worst areas in Mexico, aside from some of the border towns, is not too far from here but not an expat community. It's hard to believe that because I always understood that the surrounding areas of Mexico City were pretty rough. I don't think it really matters anymore where you are, you just have to take care of yourself the best you can and hope for the best.

The good news, once you go for it, really get your house set up so you feel good and safe, you forget about it. You get used to the gadgets and the decorative bars, like you did when auto door locks & car alarms were invented and you live your life in peace. You know you've done the best that you can and just go and live your life without fear. If that doesn't do it for you, take a good scary road trip that'll scare any fear you had left in you and then come back and live fearlessly. lol That's what I did. Best medicine ever! Take a road you think you may just die on, then spend a few nights camping where there's no cops and young people with nothing to do but drive around "guarding" their territory even though there's no safe road in or out. Live through a downpour lightening storm practically shooting fireballs from heaven on a high mountain road with no guardrails and a dead guy still in his car several days after slipping off of the same muddy road down a cliff so steep it take your breath away. It was so steep and unsafe to get the body. Yep, realize you lived through that and all the other stuff that's happened around you realize you didn't die from that either and when it's your time, then it's your time and it's not going to happen any sooner nor later...this other stuff really won't be a big a deal, just something you do living down here as a precaution. So make your house less accessible than the other guys houses around you and figure if there's ever a problem, it will be another house that's easier to get into. Don't be discouraged by what you read online that so and so's house had a problem and they had such and such deterrents. Unless you see with your own eyeballs how good those deterrents really are, don't fret. Someone wrote me recently that so and so's dogs were as trained as mine. When I mentioned this to a neighbor that's also in the dog school, they said no way. So and so's dogs let people in, no one's going to mess with your dog and he certainly won't let people into your house!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 am

WOW...WTF!!!
I think it's time to cork it or snuff the candle and get some sleep.
But I'm sure you like reading and re-reading your own posts.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:53 am

Chapalagringa wrote:

..........said that small can not be alone in the games as they are victims of the alien lovers who steal backpacks , cell phones or bring the little money in his pockets.

ET gone bad?

Chapalagringa wrote:because the robbers enjoyed the flight.

Must have gone business class 'cause economy sucks.

seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next