INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast

+8
RoyD
gatosigi
Cincy
MexicoPete
Trailrunner
mattoleriver
ferret
Zedinmexico
12 posters

Go down

Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast Empty Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Ignore what the government says and wear a mask of any kind. (my opinion What is yours?)

Info below from the Daily Beast

Olivia Messer
Reporter
Published Mar. 29, 2020 5:02AM ET

A burst of fresh data on the prevalence of “silent,” or asymptomatic, carriers of the 2019 novel coronavirus points to the looming danger of ending America’s national shutdown early.

Classified Chinese government data suggest “silent carriers” could make up at least one-third of the country’s positive cases of the 2019 novel coronavirus, Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post recently reported. Approximately 43,000 people in China who had tested positive for COVID-19 last month had no immediate symptoms. And those cases were not included in the official national tally of confirmed cases, which had hit 80,000 at the end of February, the paper said.

Last week, China reported no new local infections for the first time since the outbreak started in December. And after weeks of lockdown, the city of Wuhan—where the global pandemic originated—said on Tuesday that public transportation was reopening and that residents would be allowed to leave the city itself starting on April 8.

But as extensive testing continues, authorities in Wuhan have found new cases of asymptomatic—or mildly symptomatic—infection, sparking concerns about how many contagious people have been circulating freely. Fresh data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Friday about a nursing home in Washington state only served to compound those fears.

Four Ways Experts Say Coronavirus Nightmare Could End
SCENARIOS
Olivia Messer

“Almost everybody thinks there’s the potential of a second wave after we relax the restrictions,” said Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University and an expert on U.S. readiness for pandemics.

“There’s no good timeframe—it’s certainly not by Easter—that we’ll be starting to loosen up,” he continued, referring to President Donald Trump’s suggested finish line. “But once we do, people who did not have coronavirus will be going out to spaces where silent spreaders might be.”

With Americans still getting acclimated to a quasi-national shutdown, and Trump repeatedly suggesting restrictions might ease in a matter of days or weeks, the prospect of silent spreaders wreaking epidemiological havoc looms large.

“The biggest danger here is that this is like a stealth attack in that you have no idea that the person you have come into contact with is contagious,” said Dr. Adrian Hyzler, the chief medical officer for Healix International, which provides medical information to organizations whose clients travel internationally. “It makes it so much more difficult to try to contain the spread of the virus.”

For obvious reasons, silent carriers are not nearly as notorious in the public imagination as “super-spreaders,” or patients who are extra contagious. A possible super-spreader in the United Kingdom may have transmitted the virus to nearly a dozen people before realizing he was sick earlier this year. Meanwhile, the World Health Organization previously claimed that pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic transmission of the new coronavirus was “relatively rare.”

But newer studies—out of Japan, Italy, South Korea, and now Washington state—have called that assertion into question. And research suggests that silent spreaders can be just as dangerous to a community.

The CDC released a study on Friday of the outbreak’s spread—specifically via asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic patients—in a long-term care facility in King County, Washington. The report found that “approximately half of all residents with positive test results did not have any symptoms at the time of testing, suggesting that transmission from asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic residents—who were not recognized as having [the coronavirus] infection and therefore not isolated—might have contributed to further spread.”

“These findings have important implications for infection control,” according to the CDC, since “current interventions” for preventing the virus’s transmission, in part because of the shortage of tests, primarily rely on the presence of “signs and symptoms to identify and isolate residents or patients who might have COVID-19.” Patients were cohorted, or separated, according to which ones had symptoms. But that method of intervention no longer makes sense if there are asymptomatic—or silent—spreaders within a community, especially one that is at high risk of severe infection.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast Empty Re: Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast

Post by ferret Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 pm

I agree. If you go out wear a mask.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast Empty Re: Corona Virus stuff from the Daily Beast

Post by mattoleriver Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:38 pm

It seems like th U.S. is the only place claiming that face masks are useless. Even that has finally started to change. If you have 'em, use 'em!

Lately I have heard that one early symptom that is being observed in otherwise asymptomatic people is a sudden loss of sense of smell and sense of taste. Some go on to suffer other symptoms and others do not. (I believe that Brigitte mentioned this of one of her relatives.) I've heard very little about this but the info is there if you Google it.
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Doubl post
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 pm

If you don't have a mask, use a bandana or a dust mask from the ferreteria under a bandana. Everything helps. Any kind of barrier is better than nothing.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Have any of you been watching the local channels on the corona virus? It is going on now. Oops it just ended.

There should be some interesting posts by others who watch most of it and hopefully speak better Spanish than I
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:18 am

mattoleriver wrote:It seems like th U.S. is the only place claiming that face masks are useless. Even that has finally started to change. If you have 'em, use 'em!

Lately I have heard that one early symptom that is being observed in otherwise asymptomatic people is a sudden loss of sense of smell and sense of taste. Some go on to suffer other symptoms and others do not. (I believe that Brigitte mentioned this of one of her relatives.) I've heard very little about this but the info is there if you Google it.

My Mom who had Corona Virus in Seattle lost her sense of smell.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:53 pm

World Health Organization:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Post by gatosigi Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU
An informative youtube interview with a distinguished Korean professor who worked on a number of viral pandemics like ebola, SARS and Covid-19. In Korean with subtitles, just over half an hour long. He talks about the effectiveness of masks, when the pandemic may be over, possible treatments, why older people get sicker, where the virus attaches to receptors and so on.

gatosigi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 am

I have been saying for a couple of weeks that the virus was airborne. It is the only explanation of how "silent carriers" could infect others since they are not sneezing, coughing, or have a temperature. I have great respect for Dr. Fauci and what he has done for the US over the last few weeks, but he was wrong about the MIT study showing the virus spreading for up to 27 feet. Yes, large and small droplets will fall withing the 6 foot range, but it is the floating strands of viral RNA that can stay in the air indefinitely until they die, however long that takes. Who knows? So, this came out yesterday confirming what I have been saying all along:

The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) has given a boost to an unsettling idea: that the novel coronavirus can spread through the air—not just via the large droplets emitted in a cough or sneeze. Though current studies aren’t conclusive, “the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing,” Harvey Fineberg, who heads a standing committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats, wrote in a 1 April letter to Kelvin Droegemeier, head of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.

Stay indoors and wear masks outside.

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 am

RNA strands cannot infect. That is why they can test for traces of the virus on hard surfaces, but it is not catching... must be full DNA to infect.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 pm

This microscopic virus is a strand of RNA and it is definitely infectious. I'm just regurgitating what I am reading from scientific journals, CDC, NSA. I will look into the DNA thing because I am curious by nature.

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Computerguy,

OK here is the explanation. It is about injecting RNA into a host cell instead of DNA to replicate itself. So, you are probably correct.

"A virus just needs to get its genetic material, called a viral genome, into the host cell. This is either DNA or RNA, and for COVID-19 it’s RNA," Dr. Mendenhall says. "Then it uses the machinery of the cell to make viral proteins and more copies of its genetic material. The cell is normally doing a lot of protein building, and usually doesn’t notice it’s building viral proteins."

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
mattoleriver wrote:It seems like th U.S. is the only place claiming that face masks are useless. Even that has finally started to change. If you have 'em, use 'em!

My Mom who had Corona Virus in Seattle lost her sense of smell.

My Mom sense of smell came back after a week just so you know. It doesn't appear to be long term.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:45 pm

unless you die and then it is for ever Beer

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnyvmx Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:17 am

I test myself every morning. I hold my breath for 15 seconds, taste my coffee, go out and pick up the dog's poop and smell it. If I can't smell dog poop, I know I have it.
Sunnyvmx
Sunnyvmx
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lots of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 am

Sunnyvmx wrote:I test myself every morning. I hold my breath for 15 seconds, taste my coffee, go out and pick up the dog's poop and smell it. If I can't smell dog poop, I know I have it.

Well believe it or not thats how my mother discovered she had lost her sense of smell. Cat poop didn't smell.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:16 am

Sunnyvmx wrote:I test myself every morning. I hold my breath for 15 seconds, taste my coffee, go out and pick up the dog's poop and smell it. If I can't smell dog poop, I know I have it.
Well good thing it isn't the sense of taste that is lost........

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:27 am

ROTFLMAO!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down