INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shopping at Sorianos

+12
viajero
hockables
Carry Bean
E-raq
ferret
Trailrunner
Big Daddy Mexico
johninajijic
CheenaGringo
Flamingo
gringal
Jim W
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Shopping at Sorianos Empty Shopping at Sorianos

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Decided to pick up a few items today for fishing trip, since golf course was closed for Ladies Day! Today I wrote down posted price under items, as this was my test of pricing to computer @ checkout. 7 of 10 items varied as much as 20 pesos! All of the items were higher than posted price, none lower, 3 were priced according to sticker on the shelf. I was in the 10 item or less line.....Mexican Lady behind me had loaded the belt with 30 or so items! I challenged the prices, and the bag lady was sent on a mission thru the store.....5 minutes later she returned to the checkstand.....having removed stickers from the shelves, all verified my price, however, in the fine print under the price showed a different volume than the items on the shelf....same product! By now a long line waiting to check out!

Soriano clerk refused to honor marked price, and no manager available, so I declined purchase of all but the 3 items! Beer Obviously, I had to much time on my hands, today, and had a rare for me, patient moment! LMAO. Beer Beer

Point is that many large markets don't price mark items....and you can substantially over pay! Beer These were items I regularly buy, from them at the shelf price.....could have been price increases, or data input @ terminal!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Shopping at Sorianos Empty Re: Shopping at Sorianos

Post by gringal Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Ain't that the truth! Same deal at Walmart. "Always lower prices" means on the shelf, maybe, but not necessarily when you get to the checkout.

I used to love the Safeway system in the states: Canned peas of a good brand stacked up high, with a few of their cheapo brand adjacent. Below, a large sign showing a real bargain price, and in teeny weeny print below that "safeway brand".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 pm

When I am not sure, I wander over to their in-store scanner by the paper goods aisle.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Gringal, A couple weeks ago, I was in need of a roast garlic and brie cheese fix.
Soriano, had brie in a basket, 84 pesos, got to check out....145....got a manager, took him to cooler, large basket....full of brie @ 84....he honored price, removed sign!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Flamingo wrote:When I am not sure, I wander over to their in-store scanner by the paper goods aisle.

Flamingo, given my test today, one would take their basket to the scanner prior to checkout!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:28 pm

[img]Shopping at Sorianos Sor10[/img]

As Gringal pointed out with her Safeway example, the same thing happens all the time in the US too! Then again, there are those who weigh the packages at SuperLake to make sure they get what they are paying for.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:31 pm

I'll stick to shopping Super Lake. There I always know that I get overcharged. LMAO
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Toooooooooo funny John....yet true.....
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:00 pm

I usually don't weighin on conversations, but I do have to disagree with both Jim And John regarding Super Lake. It might seem that their prices are higher, but compared to what?

Of course, the products they buy from Costco will be marked up to make some money. He doesn't work for free.

The other products that the Gringos want are also marked up from what he has to purchase them for.

If you really want to see what overpriced is, go to a Deli like Goiti or La Casita or Bon Appetit or Aladinos or la Cabana in Guadalajara and you will not believe their prices. They are extremely high compared to Super Lake.

Our sausages that sell for $75 pesos at Super Lake, sell for $88 to $92 in Guadalajara at these Delis. And they sell lots of them for us.

Super Lake can not buy in bulk like Wal-Mart.

And Poncho is one of the few places that actually pays his vendors every Friday.

Most of us shop at Super Lake because of the convenience. If we wanted a good price on things, then we would go early in the morning and buy our stuff from the trucks in the Abastos like Ponco does.

He does this so that he can give decent prices on the stuff that he can and it is usually really fresh.

FYI
Big Daddy
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:I usually don't weighin on conversations, but I do have to disagree with both Jim And John regarding Super Lake. It might seem that their prices are higher, but compared to what?

Of course, the products they buy from Costco will be marked up to make some money. He doesn't work for free.

The other products that the Gringos want are also marked up from what he has to purchase them for.

If you really want to see what overpriced is, go to a Deli like Goiti or La Casita or Bon Appetit or Aladinos or la Cabana in Guadalajara and you will not believe their prices. They are extremely high compared to Super Lake.

Our sausages that sell for $75 pesos at Super Lake, sell for $88 to $92 in Guadalajara at these Delis. And they sell lots of them for us.

Super Lake can not buy in bulk like Wal-Mart.

And Poncho is one of the few places that actually pays his vendors every Friday.

Most of us shop at Super Lake because of the convenience. If we wanted a good price on things, then we would go early in the morning and buy our stuff from the trucks in the Abastos like Ponco does.

He does this so that he can give decent prices on the stuff that he can and it is usually really fresh.

FYI
Big Daddy

In all fairness Big Daddy, John shops there....as he said, I agreed about prices! I deserve the rath, as I don't and won't! I buy most at the local markets, and avoid the large stores when I can. Since living here I buy, primarily @ the Monday market..where the quality is typically bettet than the larger markets....I buy your product from Tony's! .Just Sayin! Beer

Last edited by Jim W on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Big Daddy:

I agree with you totally and have felt for years that Pancho receives an unfair rap from ungracious customers that have no idea what they are they are talking about! SuperLake has been a successful independent specialty store for many years and it speaks to their business acumen that they remain as such. To criticize that they have products from Costco marked up has a very simple solution: get off your butt and drive in to pay Costco prices! As you know, we accidentally stumbled upon Goiti during our last trip and were impressed by the variety of products that they have to offer. We spotted any number of products that we had never seen offered in Mexico in the past and under the right set of circumstances would have paid their prices to get just what we wanted.

If buying on the cheap is the only equation, then go to Wally World or wherever else you perceive is a good deal but bad mouthing a specialty retailer is in poor taste!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 pm

BD, you nailed it. CG, too. Another vote for Pancho and SL.

I cannot eat gluten, if not for Pancho (and Ferret - lol) I would never be able to have pasta or bread in my life. Or Gluten Free soy sauce, GF cereal, GF 'oreo' cookies, GF rice crackers, etc etc

They are very good business people. And have you noticed his employees stay there, they say they're well treated.

He prices items at what he has to to stay in business and you can buy them or not. win win
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Neil, A new local business opened here a year or so ago, called Lakeside Express....no one at lakeside has to get off their butt anymore....LOL... and drive 70 miles roundtrip to Costco or Sams Club. For 12 pesos per item...case of cerveza ...USDA 6 pounds New York Strip 12 pesos, etc. Locals order on line and pay when delivered to their home. 5 item minimum.
Service has gotten so popular, Costco delivers to Lakeside Express.....same as Super Lake.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Jim:

I am aware of Lakeside Express but I have seen the "cheapos" complain about their pricing too! Smart move on the part of these two entrepreneurs and again, a specialty business to fill a need. I have no problem with people shopping wherever they choose but I do have a problem when they rationalize their shopping decisions by badmouthing somewhere they choose not to shop. For example, I choose not to spend "one thin dime" at Wally World, Target, K-Mart, the Dollar Stores, Best Buy or any of the other shlock retailers.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 pm

But I don't want 36 rolls of toilet paper or 12 rolls of paper towels but I like
the quality of the Costco brand. So, for those things, I shop Superlake.
In reality, a roll of toilet paper from Costco via Superlake priced at 8.9 pesos is CHEAPER than Cottonelle. Why? Because it has 450 two ply sheets compared to 300 two ply sheets with Cottonelle.
Pancho has been in business since (at least) January of 1996...that's when I first went there. He is an astute business man and he and his store impress the hell out of me. Products don't make any money sitting on the shelf.
Perhaps I'm coming from a different place having lived in Mexico for so long. So many products and treats that we did without for so many years have given us a different perspective entirely.
And...he actually restocks products that sell. :)

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Neil, I agree, and we are on the same page! No debate from me! I avoid grocery shopping like a root canal. This makes Lakeside a great option for 3 of my neighbors and I.....we split orders of, TP, Romaine lettuce, etc, and always get Costco fresh....LMAO.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 am

I love the big bags of t.p., rolls of paper towels etc., however we have gobs of storage space. We're dedicated Costco, Sam's and Mega Mercado shoppers. I hate shopping in Wally World, and Soriana, but for inexpensive and good, Bodega Aurrera in Joco is pretty decent ( I know who owns it) . The staff are really friendly and they have IMO the best bolillos lakeside at the best price.
For all else, Superlake, Tony's, the new fish store, and occasionally the markets, I'm not a morning person. Gotta try the new meat store near Pemex.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:05 am

Hi all - Those of you who criticized my post. It was more of like a joke. Otherwise why do you think I shop for everything there, except my meds, TP, paper towels, tissues, black olives, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oilive oil, balsamic vinegar, huge boxes of cereal, coffee, parmesan and ricotta cheese, round tomatos by Campari, bagels and english muffins. That stuff we go to Costco for once a month. I save $ 18. US a month on my meds which cost me $ 2,800. pesos a month out of pocket.

I can't be bothered running to the tianguis, el torito or surtidor, to save pennies, if anything. El Torito buys from Costco too.

Super Lake could be called Mini Costco. I see the Costco truck come in as well as Pancho's large white van fully stocked. His markup on some of the Costco items runs 30% - 50%, plenty of money to stay in business.

SL is so "overstocked" it's unbelievable. He cannot sell half of what he stocks in a 2 week to a month period. I would reduce the inventory, thus reducing cost and widen the aisles.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:26 am

You can't beat Super Lake for service & the owner deserves every peso he makes, especially dealing with some of the rude gringos I see in there all the time. If you ask for something special he'll order it if he can. Try that at Walmart. I'm old & like things easy. I'd rather pay a little extra to find what I want when I want it & Super Lake usually fits the bill. I've also seen items at Walmart HIGHER than Super Lake.

As was said, he doesn't have the buying power the big guys do & he works damned hard to please his customers.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Went into SL today for some tomatoes and was attracted to a display of beauties, but at the bottom of the price sign, in tiny letters, was "pieza".
Uh........I like tomatoes, but not THAT much...so we found some good enough ones in a bin nearby selling by the kilo.

I do a lot of shopping at SL, but you need to watch your burro when shopping anywhere.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 pm

gringal wrote:Went into SL today for some tomatoes and was attracted to a display of beauties, but at the bottom of the price sign, in tiny letters, was "pieza".
Uh........I like tomatoes, but not THAT much...so we found some good enough ones in a bin nearby selling by the kilo.

I do a lot of shopping at SL, but you need to watch your burro when shopping anywhere.

Just like sliced turkey and ham........now priced by 1/2 KG.....everywhere.....not a cheap shot @ Newbies....but, overheard one lady say that previous price was very expensive, now cheap.....I injected, couldn't resist......previous price was per KG....2.2 ponds....gotta love it!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I remember back to 2000 when some friends came to visit. One day they announced that soup and sandwiches sounded good for lunch. The husband and I drove into SuperLake and I sent him into get the supplies while I went next door for something more important - booze. Met back at the car with him announcing he had purchased Campbell soup, cheese and cold cuts from the deli case. On the drive home, he asked how much money he had spent since he couldn't get a grip on converting Pesos when they were 10/1. Laughing my rear end off, I informed him that he had just spent $60USD for lunch supplies for four people! Every item he purchased was imported.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:11 pm

gringal wrote:Went into SL today for some tomatoes and was attracted to a display of beauties, but at the bottom of the price sign, in tiny letters, was "pieza".

Those tomatoes were yellow color last week. I saw them on Monday and they were red and starting to be over ripe. You could get heirlooms for less money.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:24 pm

johninajijic wrote:

Those tomatoes were yellow color last week. I saw them on Monday and they were red and starting to be over ripe. You could get heirlooms for less money.

Hey.......I wouldn't buy them at that price (each) if they were coated with silver. LOL. I'm talking about the ones in a special box all by themselves out in the aisle near the bananas, not the regular bin ones.....some of which were heading over the hill. I keep wondering if they have a person assigned to turning the bad spots on the veggies down so all you'll see is the good part........seems like every blessed little tomato had it's ugly side DOWN. Hmmmm.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm

gringal - I noticed that too. They think we're all dumb. I examine each piece closely. we buy lots of veggies there. Squueze the cukes too, lots of soft spots.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next