INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swarm Vlll

+13
johninajijic
GBATRUCKS
SunFan
slainte39
joyfull
frkshnwa
Zedinmexico
hkrause
Hensley
Traveller
Mainecoons
lunateak
RoofBob
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Swarm Vlll - Page 2 Empty Re: Swarm Vlll

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:As we speak, I'm looking at the Google look up for that. Check it out:

https://www.google.com.mx/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=PHXY9HSZxMCSipRqoBGvBg&cp=10&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=Zarandeado&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Zarandeado&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=1de0a1f08b0fa67a&biw=1016&bih=540

You are too funny. I was doing the same thing wondering why he doesn't. I have had those before and they are great. Sending you a PM also in a minute.
drunk

Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Here's Rick Bayless's recipe for the sauce that apparently works on fish or shrimp. My shrimp were served butterflied, shell on.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=144
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:22 pm

GBATRUCKS wrote:Here's Rick Bayless's recipe for the sauce that apparently works on fish or shrimp. My shrimp were served butterflied, shell on.

He is great. My wife loves him. He has been coming to Mexico since 1978. Sabor Mexico, great show. Great food.

Frontera Grill is the name of his restaurant.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 pm

They have a place in La Manzanilla. He usually comes down each year & has a cooking classes for the locals. I checked it out when I was there last month but they say he might not come this year...Bummer.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:29 pm

We have three of Rick's cookbooks and use them extensively. He makes a big deal out of Oaxaca regional cooking and this being our first trip to Oaxaca, we were looking forward to tasting various regional entrees. Overall, we decided that we preferred other regional styles from other Mexican States a bit more. Different strokes!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:We have three of Rick's cookbooks and use them extensively. He makes a big deal out of Oaxaca regional cooking and this being our first trip to Oaxaca, we were looking forward to tasting various regional entrees. Overall, we decided that we preferred other regional styles from other Mexican States a bit more. Different strokes!

Haven't had the pleasure yet of traveling like you have in Mexico. Neither has my wife. What Rick does is quite extrodinary for the average person, Mexican or non Mexican, with enlightening people on the variety of foods and cultures that are in Mexico. We never miss a show.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:38 pm

I've also got 3 of his books but the one I use 90% of the time is, I believe, his first book, "Authentic Mexican...Regional cooking from the heart of Mexico" If you only have 1 Mexican cook book, this should be it.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 pm

I have to admit that I chickened out on trying Chapulines but I did enjoy the many kinds of mole with mole negro probably my overall favorite. On the other hand, I went down there with an open mind and positive outlook on Mezcal. Tried any number of brands and different aging without finding a single one that I cared to purchase and bring a bottle home for our growing collection.

I watch Rick on TV fairly frequently and while I appreciate his passion, I find that he seems to get carried away with emphasizing the "sizzle or different unique items" found in various regional styles of Mexican Cooking.

I will go on record that New Mexican food is a far cry from anything offered in Mexico!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:18 pm

There is wonderful food in Oaxaca but you cannot experience it in a few days.
You have to go to the Sierras and try some of the trouts in papillotes or the grilled quails , go to the coast in the Ithmus and have incredible seafood . Stay in homes in the Oaxaca valley and experience the incredible enchiladas, that have a chocolate sauce and are pretty hot, the dotchil (spelling?) which reminds me of some eastern Indian food, the chipilin soups and many many dishes that you can only have if you stay a long time and eat food prepared in homes.
Over one Easter holiday we tasted 18 different types of moles being offered to people folowing the procession.
You have to have the time to travel through the State and know locals if you hope to really enjoy the local specialties.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:27 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I have to admit that I chickened out on trying Chapulines but I did enjoy the many kinds of mole with mole negro probably my overall favorite. On the other hand, I went down there with an open mind and positive outlook on Mezcal. Tried any number of brands and different aging without finding a single one that I cared to purchase and bring a bottle home for our growing collection.

I watch Rick on TV fairly frequently and while I appreciate his passion, I find that he seems to get carried away with emphasizing the "sizzle or different unique items" found in various regional styles of Mexican Cooking.

I will go on record that New Mexican food is a far cry from anything offered in Mexico!

I'LL DRINK TO THAT! Here's to the huevos served over blue corn tortillas at The Shed in Santa Fe, and the green chili burger at The Owl Cafe in San Antonio. N.M. (going back a few years here, so I hope it's still all true.) I've entered the faux Ajijic Chili Cookoff here a couple of times with a green chili made with Anaheims (long green chilis like Big Jim's from the Masilla Valley), but, as this cook off is a "people's choice" judged cook off, with a bunch of short-peckered flat landers from Indiana & Iowa doing the voting, I've never done well (although I had cooked over 30 years in REAL cook offs sanctioned by CASI & ICS)
Beer Beer Beer
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Brigitte:

You are absolutely correct and we certainly have not written off further excursions into the Regional Cooking of Oaxaca - five nights and four days does not a total experience make! We did enjoy the food we tried at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/ZAPOTECARESTAURANTSANMARTINTILCAJETEOAXACAMEXICO?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-c6cCuye7dkwE#slideshow/5782085007269546434
Right on the Ocotlan highway at the San Martin Tilcajete junction.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 am

GBATRUCKS wrote:I had the Zarandeado shrimp & they were great!

Me too. I will go back for more of that.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 am

John

Everyone at the Swarm spoke highly of the food and service. The place is casual in atmosphere.

I had the butterflied breaded shrimp. (good thing my wife is in New York this week). Delicious and generous portions with lots of veggies (al dente) and rice.

I think the meal was 110 pesos.

You should get your dinner group over there.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:14 am

GBATRUCKS wrote:Here's Rick Bayless's recipe for the sauce that apparently works on fish or shrimp. My shrimp were served butterflied, shell on.

So...made up a batch of this yesterday. I marinated a couple of skinned Basa filets from the freezer plus some butter flied shell-on shrimp...mighty tasty. I picked up some fresh Anchos at the spice shop next to Gossip's that provided just the right amount of heat. 2 level tea spoons of mild sea salt was plenty. If using table salt, start with 1 teaspoon & adjust. As my fish was skinned, I used a medium fire...worked fine on the filets, but not enough heat to sear & crisp up the shrimp before they were cooked. For shell-on shrimp & skin-on fish, use a hotter fire.
Beer Very Happy
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2