INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CUOTA ROAD CONFUSION

+5
Intercasa
CheenaGringo
Rosa Venus
cosalamx
Jim W
9 posters

Go down

CUOTA ROAD CONFUSION Empty CUOTA ROAD CONFUSION

Post by Jim W Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:08 pm

How does the Exclusivo Telepage lane work? We were returning from Nogales and came up to toll both.....2 of 3 lanes closed, traffic backed up over 1/2 mile, and agents were attempting to sell the cards for use of the scan card lane. Anyone know what they cost, how long they are valid, state to state?

Seemed like a shakedown of sorts!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

CUOTA ROAD CONFUSION Empty Re: CUOTA ROAD CONFUSION

Post by cosalamx Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Jim W wrote:How does the Exclusivo Telepage lane work? We were returning from Nogales and came up to toll both.....2 of 3 lanes closed, traffic backed up over 1/2 mile, and agents were attempting to sell the cards for use of the scan card lane. Anyone know what they cost, how long they are valid, state to state?

Seemed like a shakedown of sorts!

We just returned from a trip to Nogales. We bought one of the IAVE stickers at a toll booth on our way South in January, but hadn't had the opportunity to use it until this trip. We paid 300 pesos and received a 300 peso credit on the account, so there was no charge for the sticker. Before we left home last month, I "recharged" at Bancomer. I had tried Walmart but they had no idea what to do, although the IAVE website states that recharges can be done there. Supposedly you can also go to Extra stores, and several other retail outlets (all information is on the IAVE.com website, albeit in Spanish). You receive a bar code as well as an account number, either of which can be used for the recharge. Anyway, Bancomer in Ajijic knew what to do. It costs 12 pesos at Bancomer to do a recharge and I loaded the account with 3,000 pesos, after checking to see what the total toll cost would be for the trip (The website states that the maximum recharge is 2,000 pesos and the maximum balance on the account is 3,000 pesos, but I don't know if those rules are applied, as I did two recharges, one for 2,000 pesos and one for 700 pesos, at the same time). Had no problem at most toll booths. The exclusive lanes are really efficient, but, even at the other booths, it is so much faster not to have to search for change, and make sure you get the right change back. There were three toll stations that did not offer the IAVE service, and on the way back there was one time when the reader was not working, so we paid cash. You can register on the IAVE website with the card number and you receive a password, so you can check your balance and see all the charges to the account. I have no idea where the stickers are usually available, but for 12 pesos per recharge, I think it is a great deal. We probably saved about an hour in traveling time not having to wait at each booth, and took particular pleasure in breezing through the exclusive lanes, especially when there was a long line-up in the regular lanes.

You affix the sticker to the windshield just below the mirror, and it is read automatically as you approach the gate, the light turns green and the gate goes up, and you drive on.

It appears that the credit does not expire, and they seem to work on almost every toll route in Mexico. The website shows the routes that offer IAVE service, although it did not appear to identify the individual toll stations which did not accept IAVE, so you still have to carry some cash. Each station clearly marks the lanes that are IAVE compatible, usually with large signs before you reach the toll station.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Great information, cosalamx, thanks. This sounds well worth doing as I've looked longingly at those IAVE lanes waayyyy too many times.

You say you bought the sticker at a toll booth. Can you briefly describe what was involved? Do you just pull into an IAVE lane (without a sticker) and ask to buy one? Or do you have to pull over somewhere at the toll-booth, get out of the car, and yadda yadda with somebody. THANKS!!!

EDIT: I just went to the website, and it's pretty slick. It says you can buy the sticker in the IAVE lane. It also says you can buy (and recharge) them at various retail outlets. I have a strong feeling that's a YMMV proposition, but still, the whole thing sounds super easy and worth doing if you drive the cuotas a fair bit.

Here's the website (Spanish):

IAVE
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:14 pm

In January, as we left the last toll booth coming into Guadalajara there were a number of young people selling the stickers right on the road. The small package had the IAVE logo, so I knew what they were selling. I figured that 300 pesos was a reasonable risk, since I really had no idea how it would work. Getting through the registration process was really simple, even with my limited Spanish. This is the only time I have seen them selling the stickers on the road, but I suppose you could stop at a toll station and inquire. I think most of them have small offices on site.

I believe it may be possible to set up a charge account on the website, if you have a Mexican credit card, which I don't.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Seems to me that Spencer has experience with this program? Maybe he will take a break from chasing the "chicas" long enough to fill everyone in?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 pm

I've been working. Have 2 IAVE cards, one for each vehicle. Love them, not all routes have the lanes though, but a definite must if you are driving through Mexico. Mine is tied to my credit card so don't know about recharge options. It is nice to not have to worry about change and even getting the exclusive lane and passing a line of cars.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Spencer, is your credit card from a Mexican or foreign bank?
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 pm

It is from a Mx bank.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Intercasa wrote:It is from a Mx bank.

Spencer, What happens if your card is scanned and has negative balance, at IAVE lane? Can it be tied to your Bancomer debit/visa card?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes mine is tied to my credit card and as Mexican interest rates are high I deposit so I have a credit balance and don't pay interest.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 pm

A follow-up report - I just checked my account with IAVE, and there were two errors on the 31 toll stations where I used my IAVE, where I was charged a higher amount than the tariff. It appears that I was debited the tariff for a larger vehicle than I was driving. I have reported it and will advise of the response. The total involved is 151 pesos. So, it is obviously necessary to check each trip to make sure there are no errors. The proper toll charges are available on-line, so it is fairly easy to verify, but I caught the error by checking the southbound against the northbound charges.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisCloud Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Iv'e had an IAVE sticker for about 4 years that I got from Bancomer and tied to my Mexico CC with them. I don't take that many trips, but when I do it is very handy. As others have said, it doesn't work everywhere, but when it does you just zip right through. At busy quota stations, like coming into Guadalajara, it can save you 5 minutes sometimes.

Going South to Manzanillo no quotas use it. Going East to Mexico City most do. Going North to the border in varios directions most do at lest most of the way. Chihuahua state doesn't use them, so if you are going that way to the border they don't work once you get there. They work most places going to Laredo.

They are definitely worth having, just don't expect that they will work at every quota station.

OasisCloud

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 am

cosalamx wrote:A follow-up report - I just checked my account with IAVE, and there were two errors on the 31 toll stations where I used my IAVE, where I was charged a higher amount than the tariff. It appears that I was debited the tariff for a larger vehicle than I was driving. I have reported it and will advise of the response. The total involved is 151 pesos. So, it is obviously necessary to check each trip to make sure there are no errors. The proper toll charges are available on-line, so it is fairly easy to verify, but I caught the error by checking the southbound against the northbound charges.

My account has now been credited to correct the errors. So, the system seems to work well, provided you review your charges to ensure they are accurate.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:11 am

OasisCloud wrote:Iv'e had an IAVE sticker for about 4 years that I got from Bancomer and tied to my Mexico CC with them. I don't take that many trips, but when I do it is very handy. As others have said, it doesn't work everywhere, but when it does you just zip right through. At busy quota stations, like coming into Guadalajara, it can save you 5 minutes sometimes.

Going South to Manzanillo no quotas use it. Going East to Mexico City most do. Going North to the border in varios directions most do at lest most of the way. Chihuahua state doesn't use them, so if you are going that way to the border they don't work once you get there. They work most places going to Laredo.

They are definitely worth having, just don't expect that they will work at every quota station.

I saw the signs pretty much to the border on 15D from Guad to Nagales.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Sorry Zed but in my book, your credibility goes away when the PHD cannot come close to spelling places correctly! Even a computer expert should believe it when spell check says you spelled something wrong!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 pm

by Zedinmexico Today at 8:11 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Sorry Zed but in my book, your credibility goes away when the PHD cannot come close to spelling places correctly! Even a computer expert should believe it when spell check says you spelled something wrong!

Gee, I’m dying to hear what your explanation is for “...not even close… “.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:23 pm

What does IAVE stand for? I have Googled it and not found an answer.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Parker wrote:
by Zedinmexico Today at 8:11 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Sorry Zed but in my book, your credibility goes away when the PHD cannot come close to spelling places correctly! Even a computer expert should believe it when spell check says you spelled something wrong!

Gee, I’m dying to hear what your explanation is for “...not even close… “.

OMG Parker.......Zed was one letter off....change the a to an o......In my book....that is pretty close....at least close enough for me to understand.....probably not sayin much fer me though........ROLMAO. Blackeye
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:25 pm

The think IAVE is similar to llave which means key so they used a similar term

IAVE (Sistema de Identificación Automática Vehicular)
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 pm

The "E" would be Electrónico?
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Probably here in Mexico they like to use the first 2 letters of each name but this one doesn´t follow the rule exactly
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:09 pm

WOW, the simplest task gone bad. I went to bancomer PREFERRED UNIT on the Libramiento this morning, and was advised they only have IAVE cards that can only be tied to Mexican Credit Card.......They directed me to Walmart, where I could buy an IAVE card, and bring it to Bancomer to add money/prepay. Got to Walmart, and after nearly an hour, the manager advised they no longer carry IAVE card.

Went to Bancomer Chapala, met with Roberto.....and @ Intercasa suggestion, asked if I could buy and prepay the IAVE card..........no problemo.....out the door problem solved 15 minutes later with IAVE card in hand..............THANK YOU INTERCASA
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 pm

My first trip using LAVE card.....proved I can be dumber than a box of rocks LMAO......Reach 1st LAVE lane in GDL Wednesday @ 5 am.....held the card up against windshield......NADA....back out went to Multi lane.......3rd attempt, also failed, but was in combo Multi/LAVE lane and the attendant showed us the scanner mounted on ceiling.....discovered chip mount inside sticker........all went well from their on out cept sometimes LAVE and Multi lane is combined....longer lines, than proxima line.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Jim W wrote:My first trip using LAVE card.....proved I can be dumber than a box of rocks LMAO......Reach 1st LAVE lane in GDL Wednesday @ 5 am.....held the card up against windshield......NADA....back out went to Multi lane.......3rd attempt, also failed, but was in combo Multi/LAVE lane and the attendant showed us the scanner mounted on ceiling.....discovered chip mount inside sticker........all went well from their on out cept sometimes LAVE and Multi lane is combined....longer lines, than proxima line.

Jim. the instructions say to mount the sticker on your windshield just below the rear view mirror. Works like a charm. Doesn't solve the problem of the line-up when there is no exclusive lane.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 pm

cosalamx wrote:
Jim W wrote:My first trip using LAVE card.....proved I can be dumber than a box of rocks LMAO......Reach 1st LAVE lane in GDL Wednesday @ 5 am.....held the card up against windshield......NADA....back out went to Multi lane.......3rd attempt, also failed, but was in combo Multi/LAVE lane and the attendant showed us the scanner mounted on ceiling.....discovered chip mount inside sticker........all went well from their on out cept sometimes LAVE and Multi lane is combined....longer lines, than proxima line.

Jim. the instructions say to mount the sticker on your windshield just below the rear view mirror. Works like a charm. Doesn't solve the problem of the line-up when there is no exclusive lane.

That's where dumber than a box of rocks comes in.....didn't say mount on inside or outside of window.....I kept looking @ sticker and thought somehow they were scanning bar code......LMAO
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down