INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside?

+5
johninajijic
Flamingo
hockables
CanuckBob
Frijoles
9 posters

Go down

Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside? Empty Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside?

Post by Frijoles Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Title says it all. Thanks in advance.
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside? Empty Re: Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside?

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Try our new sponser, Sonora's Meat in La Floresta. Click on his ad to see the prices, etc.

Or if you want to go directly to their website: http://sonorameatsajijic.webs.com/

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside? Empty Re: Where to Buy Good Ground Beef Lakeside?

Post by hockables Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 pm

It's to bad we don't have a Beef Vendor just like that Coffee Vendor Fella out on the Carreterra

You could have a fella standing out there with a big grinder and a truck full of Cows....

That would be Fresh!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm

hockables wrote:It's to bad we don't have a Beef Vendor just like that Coffee Vendor Fella out on the Carreterra

You could have a fella standing out there with a big grinder and a truck full of Cows....

That would be Fresh!!

Jejeje If you go to the neighborhood carnicería, you can watch as they bring the freshly slaughtered sides of beef in from the truck. That's fresh enuf for me. I can tell them how much fat I want included and get wonderful ground beef.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Flamingo wrote:
hockables wrote:It's to bad we don't have a Beef Vendor just like that Coffee Vendor Fella out on the Carreterra

That would be Fresh!!

Jejeje If you go to the neighborhood carnicería, you can watch as they bring the freshly slaughtered sides of beef in from the truck. That's fresh enuf for me. I can tell them how much fat I want included and get wonderful ground beef.

That sounds promising... where is your neighborhood carniceria?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:59 pm

We have lived here for 11 years. We have tried Tony's, both chuck and regular hamburger, Walmart, Premium and Sirloin and the La Huerta market in West Ajijic in La Huerta plaza. The best we have found is Walmart Sirloin which has more flavor and is the most juicy. It is packaged fresh daily. La Huerta plaza would be a close second.

We also buy the ground pork at Walmart for meatballs and Meat Loaf which we mix Walmart Sirloin and Ground Pork 50/50. You can use the lesser grade in Meat Loaf and you won't know much difference. The Meat Loaf is always tender and juicy, never hard packed.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm

The best ground beef I've ever tasted in this country came from the carneceria across from Viva Mexico in SJC.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:00 pm

I admit I can't tell the difference unless they add too much fat. I generally use the corner carnicería in the Chapala Indoor Market. I also like Dani's in Ixtlahuacán and several carnicerías in the Jocotopec Indoor Market.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Go to your favorite butcher where the staff maintains an emaculately clean shop and you have reason to believe they are concientious enough to meticulously clean their meat grinder often and always with even greater care at the end of the work day. Pick out you favorite cut with some fat attached from the display case. Probably chuck or round roast will make the best hamburger. I´ve always used Tony´s in the past but perhaps Sonora´s would be a good altrnative although I haven´t tried them yet. Have them grind the meat in your presence but, since there is a tendency at Lakeside to trim all the fat from the cut before grinding, direct them to leave some fat on the cut to be ground as it is the fat in the cut that makes a hamburger tasty and prevents your burgers from being dry and tasteless. If there is not much fat on the cut, have them add some from other trimmings available if fresh.

I would be cautious about buying any already ground beef or pork in a supermarket but if I did I would only choose the premium grond meat although, even then, you are taking your chances.

Be alert. One day a while back, I chose my beef cut at Tony´s and, as the clerk toted the cut from the dsiplay case to the grinder he dropped it on the floor, picked it up and proceeded to start grinding it without so much as even washing it off. I left without my order that day but, later on some poor sucker no doubt bought the ground meat I rejected. I don´t tell that as a reflection on Tony´s but to remind you to be observant at all times whereever you are purchasing freshly ground beef anywhere.

By the way, the notion that the freshest beef makes the best hamburger is questionnable in my view. If you carefully select the beef you use for hamburger from the dispplay case that may be better than the stuff just off the truck and, perhaps, freshly slaughtered.

Now, in San Cristóbal de Las Casas last year, they discovered that the local rastro was blending in tainted beef with fresh beef and selling that compromised product to butcheries all over town including even high-end retail outlets so., I say, choose you meat carefully, perhaps witha smell test and have it ground in front of you being sure there is sufficient fat to make your meal appealing.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiness Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Another vote for Walmart Premium Ground Beef. Lean and tasty. Best we've found lakeside.

Guiness
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Guiness wrote:Another vote for Walmart Premium Ground Beef. Lean and tasty. Best we've found lakeside.

To be clear, there are two kinds of ground beef at Walmart, one is Sirloin, the other is Premium. We have tried both and prefer the Sirloin.

Contrary to what many may think it's very juicy when cooked properly. We pan fry our hamburgers to medium rare (pink) and they're juicy. We buy a package of about .605 grams and get 4 hamburgers of about 5/16 lb each, about 1/2 inch thick. We also use it in our meatloaf in a 50/50 mixture with pork..
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Try our new sponser, Sonora's Meat in La Floresta. Click on his ad to see the prices, etc.

Or if you want to go directly to their website: http://sonorameatsajijic.webs.com/

Bob, your shameless! Very Happy But it works, I'm going to go there as soon as I move into my house in Ajijic the 15th

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I asked one of the guy's at the Walmart meat department yesterday about their two grades of ground beef. He told me the lean, more expensive ground beef was 10% fat, and the other 40%. The 40% kind of stunned me. I mixed some of each together and made sliders yesterday. It worked well.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down