INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside

+14
manymoonsago
Rosa Venus
lobita
Zedinmexico
viajero
coffeeguy
twelveoaks
sparks
rckrckr
Pedro
David
CheenaGringo
SunshineyDay
joyfull
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside Empty FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside

Post by joyfull Sun May 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Just had pizza cooked in the one week old brick pizza oven now at Hostelria del Arte. Finally a pizza both my husband and I can both say....ahhhh that was good. This is the Italian restaurant at the Japanese garden in West Ajijic. Crust is thin and crispy with sauce that actually tastes Italian and not like Mexican salsa. Stephano and Rosalee are very proud of the oven they had built so be sure to ask to see it. We will definitely be back. Thiere has been nowhere Lakeside that has pizza I would be willing to go out of my way for until now.
Not cheap 135-145 pesos, enough to feed 2 and well worth it IMHO

joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside Empty Re: FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside

Post by SunshineyDay Sun May 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Where is the Japanese garden in West Ajijic?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside Empty Re: FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside

Post by CheenaGringo Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hoster%C3%ADa+del+Arte/@20.297903,-103.28747,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x842f440a931c184b:0xd4d4b01432ad653e?hl=en

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hoster%C3%ADa+del+Arte/@20.297903,-103.28747,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x842f440a931c184b:0xd4d4b01432ad653e?hl=en
it's right next to the Pemex on the mountain side in West Ajijic
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun May 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Osteria del Arte.  Not hosteleria.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun May 11, 2014 9:14 pm

i'll continue to order dominos delivered to mi casa thanks.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Sun May 11, 2014 9:32 pm

David wrote:Osteria del Arte.  Not hosteleria.
Both are close...
FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside DSCN9800

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Sun May 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Oops....need stronger glasses
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 12, 2014 4:45 am

Me too!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 am

What about that place a couple blocks down from the 7-11. That was great pizza
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

FINALLY .... Good Italian pizza Lakeside Empty pizza

Post by twelveoaks Wed May 14, 2014 8:05 am

joyfull wrote:Just had pizza cooked in the one week old brick pizza oven now at Hostelria del Arte. Finally a pizza both my husband and I can both say....ahhhh that was good.  This is the Italian restaurant at the Japanese garden in West Ajijic. Crust is thin and crispy with sauce that actually tastes Italian and not like Mexican salsa. Stephano and Rosalee are very proud of the oven they had built so be sure to ask to see it. We will definitely be back. Thiere has been nowhere Lakeside that has pizza I would be willing to go out of my way for until now.
Not cheap 135-145 pesos, enough to feed 2 and well worth it IMHO

OK the crust and sauce are great. How about the toppings. Most pizzas here have very skimpy toppings?

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Wed May 14, 2014 9:40 am

If it is indeed authentic Italian pizza the crust will be thin and charred in spots, ingredient quality superb and toppings minimal but excellent. I've yet to see that anywhere at Lakeside - including at Pizzeria Toscana which is run by an Italian who ought to know (and do) better but has gotten away with delivering (or rather, not delivering - another mistake IMHO) mediocrity that is still at least edible, unlike the competition.

Will try Hosteria del Arte but honestly the bar is set so low here that the best pizza I know of at Lakeside is the frozen pepperoni one (made in Italy - seriously - and precooked in a wood fired oven) from Wal Mart.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed May 14, 2014 10:03 am

coffeeguy wrote:

Will try Hosteria del Arte but honestly the bar is set so low here that the best pizza I know of at Lakeside is the frozen pepperoni one (made in Italy - seriously - and precooked in a wood fired oven) from Wal Mart.
What brand is that?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed May 14, 2014 11:32 am

never had a good pizza in a restaurant here including toscana where i even took some of my own ingredients and they blew that too. californiac style 'designer' pizza ain't authentic with that paper thin, pita bread like, crust. i have had the real deal in toronto,montreal and edmonton[tonys pizza] yes thin crust, but it has to be air tossed for the real deal and that ultra thin crust around here ain't air tossed. tony learned his trade in new york.
the closest crust i've had here to real is domino's as far as dough type is concerned but it ain't air tossed either and a little too thick.
we're old-what's wrong with the traditional stough-eh! designer-ppphhhttt!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 am

Where is the Italian Food Expert when we could really use him to set everyone straight on pizzas?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Pizza is all about Opinion. Everybody has a different answer to the same question. Thick or thin etc etc etc. Costco is my favorite pizza but have to agree with Pedro Dominoes is best locally. Yes I know we should be shot for that opinion but have you tried the new Dominoes crust they redid a few years ago?
Its not the same pie as when they started the biz.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed May 14, 2014 12:24 pm

the dominos crust is chewy like it is supposed to be.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lobita Wed May 14, 2014 12:38 pm

I get a slice of cheese pizza every time I go to Costco, and load it up with onions and jalapeños. :) But the whole ketchup-and-mustard-on-pizza thing? I will never understand that.
lobita
lobita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 pm

"like it is supposed to be."

How about we start off with just how many types of Italian Pizza there are:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/travel-tips-and-articles/77459
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Just these lists alone will confuse the heck out of you and then when you add in all the North American versions - total chaos! As Zed said, it boils down to your own personal preference and that ends up being the right pizza for you.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Wed May 14, 2014 1:55 pm

viajero wrote:
coffeeguy wrote:

What brand is that?

It's their "World Table" private label. There are three varieties, but the pepperoni is the only only one that would please a pizza purist. Of course it being our local Wal Mart they are out of it at least half the time, in keeping with their general policy of not wanting to restock anything that sells well.

Regarding Neil's links, Naples and Neopolitan pizza are the "motherland" and the only pizza in Italy with its own DOC (denomiaziona de origine controllata). No question that many other pizzas can be and are delicious, but when we talk about authentic Italian pizza that's what is meant.

The Pizzeria Toscana guy and his family (at La Taverna) are from Livorno, which is in Tuscany and it known for its seafood. Tuscany otherwise is known for its beans, its steak (Bistecca alla Fiorentina) and of course its wine - but not its pizza!

I'm still looking forward to trying the pizza at the Hosteria. Just having an oven that burns hot enough is more than half the battle, and it sounds like they might.

Anyone interested in learning more about the Neopolitan real deal should enjoy this web site:

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/eng_chisiamo.php

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed May 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks Coffeeguy,I thought that might be the brand,I've seen them but not tried them,now I will.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed May 14, 2014 4:04 pm

the toscana guy merely mimics californiac designer- ahem! pizza.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed May 14, 2014 5:04 pm

We sometimes buy the "World Table" frozen pizza at Walmart also. It's stomach-able. And you can embellish it a bit. But yes, that's how low the bar is, locally.

Haven't yet tried the pizza at Hosteria del Arte, but undoubtedly will at some point. The guy at the funky place out past the Chapala Country Club - completely blanking on the name at the moment - tends to at least use better quality toppings.

Meh.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

I like the pizza at La Taverna.  The son has to much attitude.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Sun May 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Had lunch with friends at Hosteria del Arte this afternoon and we ordered a couple of different pizzas.

The crust is excellent and very authentic, tomato sauce and cheese are good quality and they're properly baked. Prices range from 135 pesos for pizza margherita to 155 for pizza with prosciutto. Ingredient quality is good, not great but it's certainly among the best, if not the best, pizza available at Lakeside.

The ambiance is pleasant too, but the beverage scene is not good. On the plus side, they're now offering the very good Berber beer from Guadalajara, but an Italian place with no wine program is a sad thing. They have a barely passable Sicilian Shiraz for 265 pesos a bottle, and everything else was over 500 pesos. No wine list either - you have to ask the owner. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to go to Costco (or for that matter just down the street to Vinos Americas) and buy a few bottles of 90 peso Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, but they haven't figured this out, thereby missing both a major profit center and an opportunity to have something that goes with their food.

The rest of the menu is also all carbs, with the exception of a couple of not-very-Italian chicken dishes, and prices are on the high side (e.g .115 pesos for lasagna, 135 up for pasta).

I like La Taverna's pizza too, David, and though that restaurant has seen better days and the owners seem burned out it's still a much better overall experience, with a good range of dishes, respectable wine program and competent service.

Seems to me the business opportunity for Hosteria is for someone with a motorbike to start doing pizza delivery!

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next