INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peacock Garden

+4
Zedinmexico
hockables
CanuckBob
shana
8 posters

Go down

Peacock Garden Empty Peacock Garden

Post by shana Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 pm

The Peacock Garden has become my very favorite restaurant. Eating out in the garden creates a wonderful atmosphere to enjoy the always good food and excellent service. The prices are reasonable.
Often the peacock struts his stuff with his feathers splayed out behind him.
The restaurant is located on Colon, halfway down the block from the bank. It is on the same side.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Peacock Garden Empty Re: Peacock Garden

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I agree it is a very pleasant atmosphere in there. They have some pretty funky chickens too.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Delicias often has a couple peacocks sitting up on the wall... still one of my favorite places

I'll halfta make a point of trying Peacock Garden... I've never noticed it in my travels
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:26 am

CanuckBob wrote:I agree it is a very pleasant atmosphere in there. They have some pretty funky chickens too.

You mean the walking health code violations. I love Mexico. In my home town if some resturant has chickens they would send
in a swat team and arrive in Scott Air Pacs, fire engines, and tyvek suits. I seem to have survived the chickens for five years
now.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:15 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:I agree it is a very pleasant atmosphere in there. They have some pretty funky chickens too.

[i"]You mean the walking health code violations (in my hometown). I love Mexico....."
Z
[/i]

Good point Zed and one of the reasons we love Mexico even though careless food distribution and preparation practices in Chiapas require some personal vigilance to avoid consuming tainted food. I would personally not mind eating in a restaurant with fowl strolling about, although I am ignorant of the ramifications of such company while I´m dining. One of the most famous restaurants in Sonoma County, California back in the 70s was Juanita´s run by this fat lady and normally filled to the rafters with all sorts of fowl and other non-human creatures as well as an eclectic mix of human types including Hell´s Angels and "sophisticated" folks from all over the San Francisco Bay Area. Juanita herself was extremely foul-mouthed _considered one of her charms - and every time she had a cash flow problem, she (reputedly) would burn down her joint and start another one with the insurance proceeds. I ate in Juanita´s on many occasions among the various types of fowl and humans and never remember becoming ill as a result of having done so.

I am reminded of the 1960s when I moved to Los Angeles, perhaps an environment in the United States most inviting for al fresco dining with its splendid weather and in that city in those days it was illegal for restaurants to serve customers seated outdoors as that was considered unheathful. Therefore, most. L.A. restaurants were enclosed in semi-darkness with those red plastic dining booths so typical of Southern California in those days. L.A was a lousy restaurant town in the 60s. Another of my favorite laws dates from the 50s in Montgomery, Alabama where I often dined when visiting that city. It was legal to take a "fifth" of booze into a restaurant to enjoy one´s meal but illegal to exit with any booze left in the bottle after dining. As a result, just about everybody left local restaurants besotted rather than leave any booze at the establishment.

I, too, must try this Peacock Garden when I get a chance.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 am

AIII, Bubba, Juanitas!!! Leave it to you to dredge up that memory. I never got sick from eating there either.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Even though it is not on the Menu. The Peacock Garden can make a deleicious
BLT which my wife gets every time she goes. Most entertaining ground of any
resturant in Town other than Yves, and Nuevo Pasada.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Even though it is not on the Menu. The Peacock Garden can make a deleicious
resturant in Town other than Yves, and Nuevo Pasada
. Z

More good thoughts, Zed. While I can´t speak of the Peacock as of yet, I am fond of Yves because Yves is a most entertaining fellow with whom I meet coincidentally on occasion on my (almost) daily walks from Six Corners to La Floresta along the Ajijic malecon when I´m in town. Yves serves by far the best straight-up dry martini at Lakeside and perhaps the only one that could be served up in San Francisco without the local martini aficionados (of which there are many among attorneys, bankers and stock brokers) stringing up the server on the nearest tree for having disgraced the art. Cold and neat and dry, stirred, not shaken. A fine addition to any repast - especially at Yves. A fine and fun restaurant on the lake. Give it a try.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:01 pm

hound dog wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Even though it is not on the Menu. The Peacock Garden can make a deleicious
resturant in Town other than Yves, and Nuevo Pasada
. Z

More good thoughts, Zed. While I can´t speak of the Peacock as of yet, I am fond of Yves because Yves is a most entertaining fellow with whom I meet coincidentally on occasion on my (almost) daily walks from Six Corners to La Floresta along the Ajijic malecon when I´m in town. Yves serves by far the best straight-up dry martini at Lakeside and perhaps the only one that could be served up in San Francisco without the local martini aficionados (of which there are many among attorneys, bankers and stock brokers) stringing up the server on the nearest tree for having disgraced the art. Cold and neat and dry, stirred, not shaken. A fine addition to any repast - especially at Yves. A fine and fun restaurant on the lake. Give it a try.

Yves serves a very nice stiff Mohito that is out standard. Drink lasts the whole meal if I want it to. Nice!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Whether one indulges in Mojitos, Martinis, Margaritas or Manhattans, one must recognize regional treats not to be overlooked:

South Alabama Martini With Botanos
One Liter of Early Times Kentucky Bourbon
One Coca Cola
One Package of Fried Pigskins
One Hardboiled Pickled Egg
One Pickled Pig´s Foot
One order of Fried Okra
One can of Hormel Vienna Sausage
One Toothpick

Swill the entire bottle of Early Times blended with the Coca Cola while intermittently ingesting the above crap.

Screw the French and their foie gras and champagne.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm

hound dog wrote:Whether one indulges in Mojitos, Martinis, Margaritas or Manhattans, one must recognize regional treats not to be overlooked:

South Alabama Martini With Botanos
One Liter of Early Times Kentucky Bourbon
One Coca Cola
One Package of Fried Pigskins
One Hardboiled Pickled Egg
One Pickled Pig´s Foot
One order of Fried Okra
One can of Hormel Vienna Sausage
One Toothpick

Swill the entire bottle of Early Times blended with the Coca Cola while intermittently ingesting the above crap.

Screw the French and their foie gras and champagne.

Dawg

You are such a Southern Boy and I am such a Maine Yankee.

Speaking of foie gras did you see it is going to be banned in Califonia?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:35 pm

[

Z[/quote]

Well, Zed, as I understand it, foie gras has been proposed to have been banned in the city of Los Angeles of which such places as Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades and countless oher upscale and discerning communities are not a part. Whether I am right or wrong is unimportant as Dawg eats foie gras in Paris, ground pork snout in Alabama and manteca-laden tamales in Chiapas. California failed to kill me when I was there for over 30 years and it´s too late whatever they ban.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:32 am

hound dog wrote:[

Z

Well, Zed, as I understand it, foie gras has been proposed to have been banned in the city of Los Angeles of which such places as Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades and countless oher upscale and discerning communities are not a part. Whether I am right or wrong is unimportant as Dawg eats foie gras in Paris, ground pork snout in Alabama and manteca-laden tamales in Chiapas. California failed to kill me when I was there for over 30 years and it´s too late whatever they ban. [/quote]

The chefs in Chicago have reversed the ban. I agree eat what is good local. Note below the Chicago ban actually created more interest.

Z

Here is the latest from Wikopedia on the issue

State of California: Sections 25980-25984 of the California Health and Safety Code, enacted in 2004 and effective from July 1, 2012, prohibit the "force feed[ing of] a bird for the purpose of enlarging the bird's liver beyond normal size" as well as the sale of products that are a result of this process.[57]

City of San Diego: On January 8, 2008, the San Diego City Council unanimously[58] passed a resolution that "commends the Animal Protection and Rescue League (APRL) for raising awareness of the cruel practice of force-feeding ducks and geese to produce foie gras, commends the many San Diego restaurants that have stopped selling foie gras before the California statewide ban goes into effect, and encourages San Diegans to avoid supporting this extreme form of animal cruelty." The resolution also cites an independent Zogby poll finding that 85% of San Diegans favor an immediate ban on foie gras.[59][60][61]

City of Chicago: On 26 April 2006, the Chicago City Council voted to ban the sale of foie gras, effective 22 August 2006[62] Breaches of the ban were to be punished with fines of $250–$500.[63] Alderman Joe Moore, who proposed the ban, described the method by which foie gras is produced as "clearly animal cruelty."[63]

In response, several Chicago chefs filed suit and deliberately violated the law by continuing to sell foie gras.[64] Furthermore, a handful of chefs served foie gras without charge, which they considered not to be against the law.[65][66] Even for establishments that were violating the law, the City issued warning letters but, until February 17, 2007, no citations were given. On that date, Doug Sohn, owner of a gourmet hot dog shop was charged with a violation. Although the fine could have been as high as $500, Sohn agreed to pay a $250 fine on March 29.[67][68] Several unusual dishes, including foie gras pizza, have been created in Chicago, in defiance of the City Council's banning of foie gras. 46,000 pounds of foie gras were sold in Chicago in 2006.[63]

In December 2006, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley referred to the ban as "the silliest law" the City Council has ever passed.[68] As a result of the ban, Chicago restaurants Spiaggia and Tru developed dishes designed to simulate the foie gras experience. Chicago Tribune restaurant critic Phil Vettel found Tru's "Faux Gras" "close to the real thing", and Spiaggia's "terrina de fagato grasso vegetariano" "undeniably rich and indulgent", but "[lacking] the characteristic foie-gras intensity".[69]

In response to Mayor Daley's objections on the foie gras ban, the City Council overwhelmingly repealed Chicago's ban on May 14, 2008.[70]

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnyvmx Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:34 am

I would like to take friends to the Peacock Garden. Could someone give me directions and is it open on Mondays?
Sunnyvmx
Sunnyvmx
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lots of it

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 am

It is in Ajijic on the east side of Colon about 1 blk down from the plaza. They usually have a sandwich board sign out front.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnyvmx Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks Bob. I guess we'll go on Monday and if it's closed we'll go somewhere else.
Sunnyvmx
Sunnyvmx
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lots of it

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Sunnyvmx wrote:Thanks Bob.  I guess we'll go on Monday and if it's closed we'll go somewhere else.

If it's closed, you can have a fine meal at Yves, which is open on Mondays and has a beautiful garden for outdoor dining along with their indoor room.   
On the Carretera, heading west. Left on Rio Zula and left again on the frontage road.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down