INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about domestic help compensation

+15
CheenaGringo
Chico
E-raq
Big Daddy Mexico
Guiness
TexMex
borderreiver
Parker
David
Mainecoons
simpsca
jackak10
johninajijic
Zedinmexico
Jim W
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Question about domestic help compensation - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about domestic help compensation

Post by Guiness Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:01 am

We live in Chapala Haciendas. We have an excellent maid and a loyal and trustworthy gardener. We pay our maid 50 pesos an hour - she works 5 hours a week. We also pay her 20 pesos for her bus as she comes from west ajijic. We have on many occassions helped her financially with little extra and gifts for birthday and Christmas for both maid and gardener.
Gardener works 12 hours a week and pay is $480 pesos.
Both Maria and Juan are dedicated trustworthy but we don't give keys!
We feel that we are fortunate to be able to live here and enjoy a lower cost of living. It called "pay it forward forks!" We have no problem helping our help help themselves and their families.

Guiness
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Question about domestic help compensation - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about domestic help compensation

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:35 am

I am sure with 4 million people one can find Maids/Gardeners who will work
for small money and if that floats your boat great. It costs more for workers
to live and eat in Ajijic than it does in other places just like it costs more to
live in the Bay area (SF) than it does to live in the midwest. I pay a living
wage and don't care what the mexicans or other gringoes pay. It is my
soul and I will pay well and my generosity is returned in many ways. If
your maid complains because I pay more next door it really is not my
problem but yours.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:13 am

One of the differences between what the Gringos are doing and the Mexicans are doing with their staff is regarding the length of time the staff actually are working. The Gringos feel that paying them more money per hour is good, but only giving them 3 to 10 hours per week. The maid still has to get ready for work and take a bus etc. And alot of times might only have 1 or maybe two other cleaning jobs that week.

The Mexicans, and some gringos, have a full time nannies/maids who works 40 to 60 hours per week, recieves less per hour but alot more hours per week. They receive 2 to 3 meals per day. And are spending less time a day on busses.

We know quite a few nannies/maids who rather work for less per hour if they can work more hours to get more money.

I am not saying that paying them more per hour is bad, just leting you know, that they actually need more money overall in a week to survive with their families.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:One of the differences between what the Gringos are doing and the Mexicans are doing with their staff is regarding the length of time the staff actually are working. The Gringos feel that paying them more money per hour is good, but only giving them 3 to 10 hours per week. The maid still has to get ready for work and take a bus etc. And alot of times might only have 1 or maybe two other cleaning jobs that week.

The Mexicans, and some gringos, have a full time nannies/maids who works 40 to 60 hours per week, recieves less per hour but alot more hours per week. They receive 2 to 3 meals per day. And are spending less time a day on busses.

We know quite a few nannies/maids who rather work for less per hour if they can work more hours to get more money.

I am not saying that paying them more per hour is bad, just leting you know, that they actually need more money overall in a week to survive with their families.

Very good points. Works the same for renting a house. Short term is more expensive per month than long term. I wish I could hire her for more hours
but she is booked up solid. Yep extras are important also from Bus Fare to Food and don't ever think of giving anything away without checking with
your help. My experience is they want it! I couldn't believe the percieved value of a 30 year old energy eating barely working fridge. My mexican neighbors
explained it to me and now I understand that it is cold food for some folks somewhere. Up north the battle is to get rid of something like an old fridge.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:19 am

The only thing our housekeeper has ever asked of us was if we didn’t want something could she have first dibs. And yes she has taken everything offered.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:26 pm

We are constantly giving our nanny/maid our extra food etc. And when we found out that they had no beds for thier kids we provided our extra beds for them along with extras tables, chairs and couches from our old bar.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Our maid gets 550 pesos a week, and works for two days. We don't count hours and neither does she. If there's a lot to do, she stays later, if not she goes home early, usually under protest, because she has come to the decision that this house is her responsibility, and decisions regarding its condition are hers. If we are away, she gets paid vacation. She never has had, and never will have a key. That is for her protection more than ours. She also gets paid if she is sick or has a personal emergency. Very rarely, has she taken advantage of this. Same deal for the gardener. If the casita needs cleaning, we don't use it very often, she comes for an extra few hours, on request.
The gardener gets 700 pesos a week and works five days a week, for 3 or 4 hours a day. We don't count hours and neither does he. He does a good job. He's fairly new, so will get a second raise to 750 pretty soon. He considers that pretty good pay BTW.
At Christmas they both get a one month bonus, plus gifts.
On mandatory holidays they both have the choice of working or staying home. If they choose to work they get paid double.
Items which we no longer use or are replacing go to them if they want them. We pay for transportation on larger items such as stoves.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:42 pm

I pay my housekeeper and my gardener each 50 pesos per hour. Have been doing so for four years. Really do not want to increase their wages as the finiquito will kill me, should it ever come to that. So I give them many paid days off, many times leaving early. My gardener has got the swing of things down so that he is done in slightly over two hours and I still pay him for three. so he is really making 75 per hour. I have no problem with that, he works fast and does a great job. I remember their birthdays and anniversaries with special gifts that I know they would not buy on their own and life is good.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:53 pm

E-raq wrote:Our maid gets 550 pesos a week, and works for two days. We don't count hours and neither does she. If there's a lot to do, she stays later, if not she goes home early, usually under protest, because she has come to the decision that this house is her responsibility, and decisions regarding its condition are hers. If we are away, she gets paid vacation. She never has had, and never will have a key. That is for her protection more than ours. She also gets paid if she is sick or has a personal emergency. Very rarely, has she taken advantage of this. Same deal for the gardener. If the casita needs cleaning, we don't use it very often, she comes for an extra few hours, on request.
The gardener gets 700 pesos a week and works five days a week, for 3 or 4 hours a day. We don't count hours and neither does he. He does a good job. He's fairly new, so will get a second raise to 750 pretty soon. He considers that pretty good pay BTW.
At Christmas they both get a one month bonus, plus gifts.
On mandatory holidays they both have the choice of working or staying home. If they choose to work they get paid double.
Items which we no longer use or are replacing go to them if they want them. We pay for transportation on larger items such as stoves.

Your gardener works up to 20 hours a week for you and gets paid 700 pesos? That is 35 pesos per hour or less than 2.25 USD per hour and you think he is happy? Are you not the person who has a luxurious home in Raquet Club and just had a devastating B and E? I pay 600 pesos for 12 hours to my gardener and think he deserves a raise. My best wishes to you.

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Chico - I agree, $ 35 pesos per hour is too little. Her gardener deserves a raise.

E-raq, you said you pay the maid even when you're on vacation. We do too, in fact we tell her not to clean. But you and I are not doing them any favor, in fact I believe it's a requirement for us to do so. They need this money to live on.

We also pay our maid for 5 sick days as well as giving her breakfast.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Admittedly, it took longer than I expected but here we go again! Has it ever occurred to some people that what you pay your contracted service people, what you pay a private driver to tote you around or how you tip in a restaurant is a private contract between yourself and the assisting party? In all cases mentioned, it is rarely an apples to apples comparison and hardly an avenue to one up others to make yourself look good.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:21 pm

When Cheenagringo is in. I am out. Sorry, but will not tolerate his name calling, rudeness and attacks on me. Adios. chico

Last edited by Chico on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:26 pm

Chico, the minimum wage in Mexico is about 5.00 U.S. a day. Who said my home was luxurious? Who said anything about a devastating B. and E.? What you pay your gardener is frankly of no interest to me. I have no idea of where you live, and frankly could care less.
If you live in Ajijic, you're going to pay a higher price for household help. Facts of life.
Good on ya if you only need 12 hours a week of gardening services, I happen to need quite a bit more.
Furthermore my gardener lives close and has no traveling expenses. He also has a very steady source of income and has no cause to go looking elsewhere.
Paying over the odds in this country is a sign of naiveté and sets you up to be disrespected.
Paying over the odds also disrupts the local economy, and makes continuing employment for many out of the question. Perhaps you failed to consider that if rates go up closer to U.S. levels, most people would NOT be able to afford maids or gardeners, not to mention bonuses and severance pay. Meaning higher unemployment levels in the long run.
Back to your calculator Chico, and start to think before making unwarranted comparisons. First on your list should be traveling time which is lost time, the fact that you have a very much part time worker, and last but not least, what are the going rates in your particular neighborhood.

In closing, do I detect some trolling activities here? Because if that is the case, and you are in fact a known troll, your days are numbered around here. Get the message?

Ah chico, I see you're out, don't let the door hit you in the rear.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:32 pm

johninajijic wrote:Chico - I agree, $ 35 pesos per hour is too little. Her gardener deserves a raise.

E-raq, you said you pay the maid even when you're on vacation. We do too, in fact we tell her not to clean. But you and I are not doing them any favor, in fact I believe it's a requirement for us to do so. They need this money to live on.

We also pay our maid for 5 sick days as well as giving her breakfast.

Good for you John, you live in Ajijic do you not. What we pay in the cheap seats is and should be of no concern to you.
We also include full meals, not just breakfast.
Our employees have no limit on the number of sick days.
How often do you go on vacation, and for how long at a time?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm

OH please stay Terry. I hope that you and John can now pat yourselves on the back by critiquing what another pays the people who work for them! Did either of you gain inches in stature?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Chico wrote: I pay 600 pesos for 12 hours to my gardener and think he deserves a raise. My best wishes to you.

However by your own words you've said you're not going to give him one. You're a hypocrite!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Chico wrote:When Cheenagringo is in. I am out. Sorry, but will not tolerate his name calling, rudeness and attacks on me. Adios. chico
When one has no ability to conduct civil discourse the obvious move is to run!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Terry:
There is an available solution for your concerns on TOB:
"It seems some of us have forgotten that this board strives to be an informative, useful and interesting place for prospective newcomers, newcomers and old-timers to share information and get their questions answered. It is not here for the purpose of expressing one's personal rancor towards another poster. Here is the impression that some of you are giving to newcomers:

Peter- thank you for bringing up this subject. While the old timers here may be used to the name calling, insults, constant criticism and back stabbing that seems to be an all-too regular feature of the webboard, it must be a real put-off for the newcomers, like myself. For those of us who are just getting our collective feet wet at living in Mexico, and obviously have ALOT to learn (often the hard way!) it only serves to make us wonder "What the h-ll am I getting myself into? Do I want to live amongst a whole pack of nasty old codgers who have a huge hate-on with the world?" Well, maybe not everyone thinks that way, but I sure did when I got some nasty remarks aimed at me a few months back, when in a horrible situation and needing help and advice. That just seems to bring the real meanies out of the woodwork. Honestly, I was ready to turn and go back. Fortunately, I've found a large and ever-expanding community of truly wonderful people from all over, foreigners and Mexicans, most of whom seem oblivious of the existence of the webboard.

Being new to this board and planning on moving to Lakeside soon, I find it most childish and offensive to read some of the "bossy, pushy, rude responses given to others. I for one, appreciate all the comments posted in regards to the many questions I have posted. I don't however like to read the "back and forth" insults.
Why don't you meet face to face in the village for a coffee and insult each other privately!
Thanks again to all on this board that have provided such valuable information.
It is appreciated more than you know!

New posters, please introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Topics are to focus on Lakeside/Guadalajara area. There is a Mexico section for the rest of Mexico. Please use it.

All are welcome here to ask questions, get answers, agree or disagree in a civil manner on things about Mexico and Lakeside living. But this is not the place to make personal comments against those you don't agree with or because you don't happen to like their opinion or topic. It is easy enought to ignore a post or topic you don't agree with. That is the appropriate action and if you think the post or topic violates this code of conduct, please bring it to the attention of anyone on the moderating team. It will be dealt with.

This reminder is not only a heads up, it is notice that we are going to really nip the personal sniping in the bud and the repeat offenders will be banned.

Having multiple user names will result in immediate banning of poster............................."

[b]OH, never mind - you already broke the rules over there and have been banned! Maybe if you send Moderator 2 a plea for leniency he will accommodate your wishes?[b]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey folks. WalMart pays some folk less than $700 per week. A beginning painter is happy with $1150 per week and the head painter $1650 per week for 45 hours of work.

I pay my full time gardener $1700 per week for 45 hours of work per week. That works out to 1700/45 or $37.78 per hour.

Are some of you saying that I am not paying him enough per week? Some of my Mexican neighbors think I'm paying him too much. I don't.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Pete - The wages paid by Walmart for a bagger would be made up greatly in tips. I understand that baggers in El Torito and SL only work for tips and they do quite well.

I could not compare what you pay your painting contractors as I have a Painting contractor who has 10 steady guys working for him, so we would pay more. He has to pay his men holidays, vacations, Christmas bonuses and IMSS. Most of his men have been with him from 5 - 10 years. He pays his best men $ 2,000. pesos a week. I would not compare any of his painters to the so called inferior painters at Lakeside.

You are not under or overpaying your gardener as it is a steady job vs, having him lose hours travelling to several jobs.

Your Mexican friends will always tell you that you're paying too much because most of them will not pay what the Gringos pay for wages.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Sadly this was not a person who gets tips. I don't know how much they make per week or per hour
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 am

MexicoPete wrote:Sadly this was not a person who gets tips. I don't know how much they make per week or per hour

That's a damn shame, but Walmart is known to be cheap. I think they figure in benefits, whatever they are and IMSS insurance.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:25 am

A weeks salary for absolute top of the line maestros is not much more than 2,500 pesos a week. That means working from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. 5 days a week, plus from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on saturday. A construction worker is currently receiving about 1200 a week for the same hours if he's lucky enough to find a job.

The highly skilled maestro is therefore working roughly 45 hours a week, for an average hourly rate of 55 pesos per hour. These guys also have managerial responsibilities, they supervise the construction workers.
The construction worker is making half that at best, let's say he's getting about 27 pesos an hour.

There you go Pete. You are paying a very fair rate for your gardener. Gardening is a pretty pleasant job compared to working in blistering sun or wading through gobs of mud during the rainy season.

We have just finished some very extensive and intricate painting which was long overdue at our place. Reason being we could never find someone who could even do the work to our satisfaction. The average weekly bill from our contractor was roughly 4,000 pesos. This was for a minimum of two guys and occasionally three. Everything was overseen by the contractor who also did quite a bit of work himself. We could not have been happier with the work. They did a great job, and cleaned up meticulously every day. It's hard to say exactly how many hours they put in, but they did, by far, the best painting job we have ever seen in all our years in Mexico. The contractor also took care of having a glazier come in to replace some cracked windows. He did not charge us for that service, we paid direct at an unbelievably low price. There was a holiday during their time here, so they had the option of receiving double pay or staying home. They took the opportunity to work and make some extra money.

The young guy who was here from start to finish also got a tip in appreciation for all his hard work. FWIW. The contractor has asked me to give them english lessons so that his nephew, the young guy who we really liked can then act as a maestro for him as his business grows, and it most certainly will.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry00 Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:32 am

I believe the baggers at Walmart work just for tips.

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 am

We have a very hard working maid in Joco. $250 pesos for 6 hours once a week including lunch & a ride home.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 am

See you pay what I pay but you are talking ss prices. Let tell you my neighbors Mexican get po,d if I pay more. Sometimes I give them extra and her its between us.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2