INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns

+6
Flamingo
Jim W
borderreiver
bobnliz
espíritu del lago
CheenaGringo
10 posters

Go down

Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns Empty Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 pm

With six new members today alone, it is quite evident or predictable that more will follow and that is a great sign!

Although not a member, I will admit to going over to TOB to see what is being said. One thing that made me cringe was the rampant habit of members freely posting their own or others' names, email addresses or phone numbers. It is understandable that people are trying to be helpful but I doubt members are stopping to think what potential there is for damage being done with this information being made public.[u]

To test my point, I went to the for sale section of this forum and found the following phone number in an ad: 331 705 1632. I did a copy and paste into Google Search. The very first item returned by the search was:

Sony Hi8 Video Cassete Player and Recorder
lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t4022-sony-hi8-video-cassete-pla...
1 post - 1 author - May 6
331 705 1632. cindylynn: Newbie Newbie: Posts: 1. Join date: 2012-04-03. Back to top Go down. View previous topic View next topic Back to

[b]Now Cindy made her own decision to publish her phone number but I know I would be most upset if I saw my phone number being published by someone trying to be helpful!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns Empty Re: Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns

Post by espíritu del lago Mon May 14, 2012 5:57 pm

More people should use the pm function..not to forget bots mine emails and sell them
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns Empty Re: Influx of New Members - Privacy Concerns

Post by bobnliz Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Lots of folks still don't get that they are not in their own living room when they post info on the web. Pity. L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Tue May 15, 2012 1:45 am

CheenaGringo. Well said. Everyone should be more aware regarding personal security. More Avatars perhaps?
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue May 15, 2012 5:03 pm

How would an avatar help, border? Seems no more than an exercise in personal taste to me. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 15, 2012 5:16 pm

In all fairness, many of us are stuck on stupid, we are listed in the local phone books, listed thru LCS.....and one day I received threat from an idiot in prison, stating my wife was a hostage and wanted money.....since she was sitting here at the time said keep her....LMAO......hung up......tooo much BS happening here...for me lighten up.....all will get better! Just MHO
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Last year on TOB Mikey the "computer guy" (currently known as the helper guy) posted a rude comment and an address for an elderly friend of mine. I pointed out I would never use a person who would be so careless with client's private information and that was removed. No dissing of businesses you understand.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Facebook is coming out with what may be the largest IPO ever but a: "Poll shows most users distrust Facebook"

http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/15/11703181-poll-shows-most-users-distrust-facebook?lite

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed May 16, 2012 2:12 am

Lizzy. My Avatar suggestion is/was this: if you have an Avatar in your picture place then nobody knows what you look like. Then you could feel more secure. Take "Dawg" for example. He's safe behind his drunken chihuahua Avatar. Seen that critter lately? Jajaja
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 16, 2012 7:39 am

Yeah I see him every day at my house........jajaja!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by IslandGirl Wed May 16, 2012 7:48 am

Just joined this board. I would never publish mine or anyone else's personal email address or other information. I'm just trying to find my way around, so haven't seen the PM function yet.

IslandGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 am

Not exactly sure what you mean, but underneath your non-picture, picture or an avatar (your choice) you will see a couple of little bluish head and shoulders things; one with a fuzzy (PM)next to it. That's the pm button. I'll send you one by that method.

Okay, it's been sent. There's a delay, and then at the top of your page, you'll see that you have a message.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by IslandGirl Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

ok...duh! Sent you a PM that you can ignore. Thanks for your help

IslandGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 pm

mine says MP
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed May 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Si... "Mensaje personal"... as we are in México. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down