INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wow! This from a friend. . .

+26
MitchBeck
oncesubtle
MexicoJimbo
espíritu del lago
wheels
NoTengoNada
Mainecoons
kipissippi
MaggieL
Studio del Sol
Sooner
sparks
juanrey
itsme
Parker
MexicoPete
lunateak
TexMex
Grizzy
hound dog
viajero
CheenaGringo
CanuckBob
johninajijic
ferret
Trailrunner
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wow!  This from a friend. . . - Page 2 Empty Re: Wow! This from a friend. . .

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Here is the problem with MC's link: https://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/?sid=dfa6088283eff88da1b924b9652c111f

The gibberish at the end is what is causing the problems.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sooner Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I just saw the link and it took me right to your site. I have now registered. I also bookmarked from the other site with no problems.

Sooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Studio del Sol Mon May 14, 2012 9:32 pm

I got this link from TOB. Hmm, maybe I need to bookmark...
Studio del Sol
Studio del Sol

Humor : dry

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieL Mon May 14, 2012 10:24 pm

WHEW ! Made it ..

MaggieL

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon May 14, 2012 10:35 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Don't feel bad. I didn't know what it stood for either. Thanks for letting us know.

I too am new to this board. I'm glad I finally discovered it. Actually someone who posts here, saw me on the street and told me about this forum.

Hi Petey! Sorry...I didn't know that you didn't know! Blackeye
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 am

CanuckBob wrote:Yeah we have received about 60 new members since mid March. Hopefully they will contribute to the discussions. I do still see comments on TOB like "I don't know any other forums" so go figure. Maybe the BS blog will even get a few too.

If you want to keep those members, you should give serious consideration to curbing the gratutitous swearing and personal nastiness here. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the place. Chapala dot com is definitely over-moderated by one of the mods there but their policy of not allowing personal abuse and nastiness is a good one IMO.

Also, I've edited my link over there, hopefully this will fix the problem.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by NoTengoNada Tue May 15, 2012 7:55 am

and here I thought TOB stood for Tingen's Odd Board. Boy am I dumb.

NoTengoNada

Back to top Go down

Post by wheels Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am

[quote="juanrey"]A good place to get the word out would be FB.
There are a number of Ajijic & Chapala FB accounts.
Ajijic News
Ojo del lago

and others, so those with FB accounts could post the links over there and drive some people over here.[quote]

Now do you really believe that Ojo del Lago will carry any information. It is run by the same people that run TOB.
It is mostly advertisements versus articles.

wheels

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 am

I agree whole heartedly. In the octogan swearing within reason. What I get sick of is the same people that always go after each other.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue May 15, 2012 8:26 am

I also find this constant sniping and griping about TOB curious given that this board provides an alternative for discussions and behaviors that are against the stated policies there. It seems to me that any sponsor of a discussion group has the right to set and enforce boundaries. That board has decided to focus on the positive aspects of living here and I don't understand why so many here have such a problem with that.

If you are a smoker and you visit a home where the rule is no smoking, do you constantly grouse about the homeowner's rules or do you decide whether you want to go there or not given that rule? It is no different IMO than a message board that is being sponsored by someone or in their case, a business. That business obviously does not want to encourage or sponsor activities or discussions that might be adverse to said business.

Frankly, I think that board is somewhat over-moderated, by the head moderator, but the sponsors obviously do not. Again, that is their right. I also think this board is under-moderated when it comes to personal invective.

It seems that a handful here, most of whom have been tossed from other boards for the same behavior, immediately resort to personal nastiness when they don't like someone else's opinions. Aside from the fact that it shows these individuals can't handle the discussion, often it really sidetracks the discussion and causes the thread to dissolve into a chain of OT personal invective.

In the matter of personal nastiness, frankly, I think TOB has it right and this board does not. Again, that is the right of this board's sponsor to follow policies that I or other members may not agree with. We can decide whether or not to participate and we can provide our opinion about those policies but at the end of the day, it is the call of the "homeowner" and we need to respect that without the sniping and nastiness.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoJimbo Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 am

Ah, I have crossed over the wall.

Yesterday, I posted a message on ToB, asking moderators to reply to the "locked, locked, locked" thread, which dealt with the fact that virtually all of the posts on the now-defunct 'Area Crimes' forum had either been locked or deleted.

When the reply from the moderator was posted, it was precisely what you see in the original post in this thread.

I couldn't help but think of the old saying: "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?"

Putting that old saying into the current context: "If a crime happens in the Lake Chapala area and nobody posts anything about it, did it really happen?"

Count me among those who believe that more information is always preferable to no information at all.

MexicoJimbo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am

C. Bob do you think any modifications are in order for the trouble makers? When the same people resort to being jerks and good topics dissolve , wouldn't a 3 strikes your out for a determined amount of time be a deterrent? Maybe after a few times outs they will settle down. I am speaking of topics in the general forums not the topics already in otogan.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue May 15, 2012 8:51 am

I think that's why Bobby made the Octagon. Be careful of what you wish for...you may get it and be stuck with what you've had before.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 am

Problem is that this behavior frequently kills the discussion altogether. A lot of topics are clearly appropriate for general discussion but end up diverted and wrecked in the Octagon. I would bet that a number of participants here avoid that section precisely because it often has little more than personal invective.

There's really only a handful of individuals who are the big offenders. Why are they allowed to wreck good threads time and time again? Sending threads like this to the "penalty room" is like sending the entire class to the principal's office because of one or two people.

Espiritu has offered a good suggestion IMO.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 am

espíritu del lago wrote:C. Bob do you think any modifications are in order for the trouble makers? When the same people resort to being jerks and good topics dissolve , wouldn't a 3 strikes your out for a determined amount of time be a deterrent? Maybe after a few times outs they will settle down. I am speaking of topics in the general forums not the topics already in otogan.
You may have noticed a few of the PIA's are missing (permanently). The few who remain know they are on thin ice and have been cautioned to play nice.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by MitchBeck Tue May 15, 2012 9:06 am

I'm new here and kind of disappointed. The first post I read is three pages complaining about the other webboard. How's that productive?

I've stayed away from here because of the swearing and attacks and the diatribes by some members. It's not a place I'll feel comfortable posting in and will use the other board for more mundane things.

It is good that we will know about local crime, but how do you distinguish the rumors from fact?

MitchBeck

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 15, 2012 9:24 am

"how do you distinguish the rumors from fact?"

I think if you take some time and read past topics you will find:
1) Posters are fairly diligent about stating when a post is rumor/rumour or based upon fact.
2) Confirmations from the media or authorities are usually found and provided but as proven by recent events, there can often be a time delay before some form of confirmation is found.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue May 15, 2012 9:25 am

If it is a rumour post in rumours and criminal section. State upfront this is a rumor if you cannot back up with a credible newspaper link. If it is confirmed link already link too with credible news or government link post in miracle. For other areas there are sections on this forum.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue May 15, 2012 9:29 am

I meant mirador
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 am

If a thread you're interested in ends up in the Octagon and you're not comfortable there. Start a new thread.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorka Tue May 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Well, I'm done with the other board. Having lived here only one year I am finally at my wits end with all the back and forth over there. Today I read and post only here. Thank you all for all the great info - glad to be here!

Lorka

Back to top Go down

Post by Studio del Sol Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm

It is good that we will know about local crime, but how do you distinguish the rumors from fact?

It's Mexico. Facts are sometimes riddled with fiction, and sometimes fiction is riddled with facts. That's a fact... Wow!  This from a friend. . . - Page 2 477249
Studio del Sol
Studio del Sol

Humor : dry

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue May 15, 2012 9:21 pm

As most of us know it is not possible to please all the people all the time. This board serves more like a clubhouse setting where people can speak their mind. I personally try to avoid most of the stupid squabbles and have gotten fed up with some of it. I made it quite clear that drunk and disorderly will no longer be tolerated. We have recently removed some members and served notice on some others.......jajaja. There are other boards that may be more suitable for some people. You can find anything from heavily moderated to heavily edited if that is what suits you. For those that are here we will continue to do our best but we will always remember we can't please everyone nor will we try to.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Studio del Sol wrote:It is good that we will know about local crime, but how do you distinguish the rumors from fact?

It's Mexico. Facts are sometimes riddled with fiction, and sometimes fiction is riddled with facts. That's a fact... Wow!  This from a friend. . . - Page 2 477249

Well said, Studio:

However, this is not just true of Mexico, especially during times of turmoil and danger such as these at Lakeside and in many parts of Mexico. The same was true in France where my wife grew up in Paris during the Algerian War and in Dawg´s Alabama when I was a young man during the often recurringly violent episodes characteristic of the civil rights struggle there and in Oakland, where Dawg was a banker during part of the 70s and 80s with the Patricia (Tanya) Hearst affair and the SLA and Black Panthers and thuggish racist cops and rampant violent crime and during the years when I lived on the coast north of San Francisco where the children of the 1967 Summer of Love migrated in the 1970s to grow marijuana and many became armed outlaw drug dealers with guarded plots among the redwoods making a stroll in the back woods an unsettling proposition and even a good way to end up dead. During all those periods of turmoil facts were often undiscernable from fiction and community tom-toms were as likely to spread falsehoods as truths and there were many times that , even with the passage of time, the truth never really came out. It´s human nature in action. Listen with skepticism but listen nevertheless and protect your flanks.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm

hound dog wrote:[i]

The same was true in France where my wife grew up in Paris during the Algerian War and in Dawg´s Alabama when I was a young man during the often recurringly violent episodes characteristic of the civil rights struggle there and in Oakland, where Dawg was a banker during part of the 70s and 80s with the Patricia (Tanya) Hearst affair and the SLA and Black Panthers and thuggish racist cops and rampant violent crime and during the years when I lived on the coast north of San Francisco where the children of the 1967 Summer of Love migrated in the 1970s to grow marijuana and many became armed outlaw drug dealers with guarded plots among the redwoods making a stroll in the back woods an unsettling proposition and even a good way to end up dead.

Perhaps the best run-on sentence I ever read. Kudos.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Tue May 15, 2012 10:11 pm

well said, hound dog, run-on or not.

manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next