INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City

+7
hound dog
CheenaGringo
viajero
brigitte
johninajijic
Mainecoons
LaVida
11 posters

Go down

Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City Empty Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City

Post by LaVida Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 am

Sydney, Australia: 20 reasons to visit Mexico City , March 4, 2012

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/20-reasons-to-visit-mexico-city-20120301-1u54q.html#ixzz1o9joZbTI

LaVida
LaVida

Back to top Go down

Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City Empty Re: Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City

Post by Mainecoons Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Nice read, thanks! We want to go there over Christmas this year.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City Empty Re: Twenty Reasons to Visit Mexico City

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Been there. Done that!
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:31 pm

I have too and I really enjoy going there on a regular basis. I really enjoyed the exhibition of the great Masters of Latin America by Banamex a couple of weeks ago. Did you see it?
It was really worth seeing.

John did you know that large cities always have new things to see and I cannot imagine ever seeing it all to the point of never going back.
I lived in Paris 25 years gone back there many times and I am looking forward to seeing things I have not seen yet, trying restaurants I do not know and so on. Same with Mexico City, It is so large how can you ever see it all?
Pretty sad comment.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:52 pm

johninajijic wrote:Been there. Done that!
I spent 6 hours in Temecula one summer,been there ,done that.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Yes, but have you been to Barstow yet?

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Yes, but have you been to Barstow yet?

The topic is Mexico City. I see you're carrying on from another thread. I believe I drove thru the outskirts on the highway from San Diego to LV. Am I correct? Another desert sh*thole.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Yes, but have you been to Barstow yet?
Of course I have,I recently sold some property there,if you have'nt been there you might want to consider putting it on your "bucket list"
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting John: "Been there. Done that!"

I am curious as to just how much time you have spent in Mexico City, one of the very largest cities in the World? Covering 574 square miles would be a daunting task for any short term tourist. I would guess that anyone moving there would have to dedicate easily six months of everyday excursions to even begin to get a grasp of what the City was all about and even begin to make a claim of: "Been there. Done that!"

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 pm

CG - Just posted that because I knew you'd have something to say. Maybe we'll go at Christmas some year.

brigitte - I'm sure I've been to Mexico City BEFORE any of you. I'm sure there are new things to see.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:13 am

[quote="johninajijic"]brigitte - I'm sure I've been to Mexico City BEFORE any of you. I'm sure there are new things to see.[/quote]

Well, John, I don´t know when you were first in Mexico City among the readers on this forum (Brigitte´s first visit there was in 1986 with her beloved Dawg and Dawg first visited that city in 1971), but if your visit to that city predated 1971 and you have not returned for a in-depth visit recently, you haven´t "been there and done that". Unless you have been to this fabulous megalopolis recently, then your knowledge of Mexico City is reminiscent of Davis Crosby´s remark, "If you can remember the 60s, you weren´t really there."

Actually, it would take a number of in-depth visits to Mexico City just to have gained a superficial knowledge of this huge and fascinating urban zone. Now, Dawg can say that I first visited tiny Fort Deposit, Alabama in 1948 on the old L&N #4 local passenger train and have truly "been there and done that". Too late for the rest of you as the L&N no longer runs passenger trains so you can never emulate Dawg's experience. Fort Deposit is still there with its 1,200 somewhat marginal inhabitants but God knows why. I think they are all ancient and just too tired to leave.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:24 pm

johninajijic wrote:CG - Just posted that because I knew you'd have something to say. Maybe we'll go at Christmas some year.

brigitte - I'm sure I've been to Mexico City BEFORE any of you. I'm sure there are new things to see.

How about that new museum of Carolos Slim's?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Actually I visited in September of 1971. A Mexico trip that covered a lot of Mexico in 3 weeks.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:08 pm

[quote="johninajijic"]Actually I visited in September of 1971. A Mexico trip that covered a lot of Mexico in 3 weeks.[/quote]

AHA! Dawg was there in the spring of 1971 so beat you by several months. Drove down from Mobile to Mexico City and Acapulco with an old girl friend from Manhattan. However, I don´t remember much about it except the local beer and street taco stands and the fact that, by the time the trip was over, she and I were no longer an item.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 pm

hound dog wrote:[quote="johninajijic"]Actually I visited in September of 1971. A Mexico trip that covered a lot of Mexico in 3 weeks.

AHA! Dawg was there in the spring of 1971 so beat you by several months. Drove down from Mobile to Mexico City and Acapulco with an old girl friend from Manhattan. However, I don´t remember much about it except the local beer and street taco stands and the fact that, by the time the trip was over, she and I were no longer an item. [/quote]

Our tour visited GDL, Morelia, San Jose Purua, Taxco, Cuernavaca, Acapulco and Mexico City. Then we flew into the Yucatan to Merida and Chitzen Itza and climbed the pyramids. Sweated our buns off in the Yucatan.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:01 pm

John:

While I would guess that your experience 40 years ago in 1971, have you given any consideration that each of the areas could possibly have changed in the interim? I can claim to have been in Shanghai, China in 1947 but I know full well that it has changed in the last 65 years. Would I make a "been there done that claim"? Hell No!

By the way, we make no claim to having been to Mexico City and won't be traveling there until we can dedicate the time and effort to get a real on honest evaluation on what the City is all about. At this juncture, our Mexico travels will be allocated to those cities that offer an opportunity to get a better grasp in a shorter period of time because that is the way it is.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Can relate CG, Went to Cuba in 47, went again last year, guess what? Big change.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm

hound dog wrote:[quote="johninajijic"]brigitte - I'm sure I've been to Mexico City BEFORE any of you. I'm sure there are new things to see.

Well, John, I don´t know when you were first in Mexico City among the readers on this forum (Brigitte´s first visit there was in 1986 with her beloved Dawg and Dawg first visited that city in 1971), but if your visit to that city predated 1971 and you have not returned for a in-depth visit recently, you haven´t "been there and done that". Unless you have been to this fabulous megalopolis recently, then your knowledge of Mexico City is reminiscent of Davis Crosby´s remark, "If you can remember the 60s, you weren´t really there."

Actually, it would take a number of in-depth visits to Mexico City just to have gained a superficial knowledge of this huge and fascinating urban zone. Now, Dawg can say that I first visited tiny Fort Deposit, Alabama in 1948 on the old L&N #4 local passenger train and have truly "been there and done that". Too late for the rest of you as the L&N no longer runs passenger trains so you can never emulate Dawg's experience. Fort Deposit is still there with its 1,200 somewhat marginal inhabitants but God knows why. I think they are all ancient and just too tired to leave. [/quote]

I got you all beat: When I first went to DF, it was still called " Tenochtitlan" !!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 pm

john knows everything. hes another google. (everything except me).

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down