INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Surge protectors at fair price at Wal Mart

+7
ferret
Mainecoons
oncesubtle
Solovino
SunsetKid
merry
Zedinmexico
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Good Surge protectors at fair price at Wal Mart - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Surge protectors at fair price at Wal Mart

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 21, 2012 8:17 am

Solovino wrote:I just looked at some of our recent electric bills. 622 pesos for a modern 3000 sq ft home in Guadalajara. 1657 pesos for a 4500 sq ft shop equipped with industrial machinery, most of it 3 phase. Haven't suffered any damage to any appliance or machine nor had any down time in the shop in recent memory.

And that is a sample of one which proves nothing except it makes yourself a happy person. Others have different results with Mexican grid. Drop a phase or misvoltage
a phase to your three phase motors and you might not be so happy. My power is great here except for the middle of the night when the unregulated grid rises up in
the mid 130s voltage wise. I never said that all people have problems but I would bet most people do and don't know it until.....

Until you watch it day and night you just don't know how bad it does get and I have nice stable power and even voltage for the most part.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Good Surge protectors at fair price at Wal Mart - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Surge protectors at fair price at Wal Mart

Post by Solovino Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
Solovino wrote:I just looked at some of our recent electric bills. 622 pesos for a modern 3000 sq ft home in Guadalajara. 1657 pesos for a 4500 sq ft shop equipped with industrial machinery, most of it 3 phase. Haven't suffered any damage to any appliance or machine nor had any down time in the shop in recent memory.

Until you watch it day and night you just don't know how bad it does get and I have nice stable power and even voltage for the most part.

Z

I've got a lot better things to do.
I've never burned up a motor in my shop in 27 years except for one cheap ass Chinese 120v single phase motor that came with a POS jointer. The Baldors, Leesons, Daytons etc don't seem to mind.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Solovino, I'm betting that you built your own house and your own workshop. If that is the case then I'm also betting that the electrical setup is way above standard and that might be the reason why you have no problems.
I've got the washing machine going right now, while I'm using the computer...the voltage regulator is clicking on and off as it always does (the two weeks we've lived in this house).
The majority of builders do not have your standards...and do it as cheaply as possible.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Personally, I get a kick out of people who purchase nothing but the best when it comes to computers and other techy toys but then choose the cheapest option for protection devices! Keep up the same train of thought the next time you require brain or heart surgery.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 pm

If anything, I'm overcautious. Check that outlet is REALLY grounded, then good surge protection and a voltage regulator plugged into the surge protector and our equipment plugged into the voltage regulator.
Overkill always. But I'm not rewiring or putting in additional circuit breakers into this rented house. Never heard the voltage regulator once in the six years we lived in the house that we built on the coast. Infrastructure is everything and I bet we're the only ones that looked at rentals here with a surge protector in hand to check for grounded plugs.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 22, 2012 2:30 pm

ferret wrote:If anything, I'm overcautious. Check that outlet is REALLY grounded, then good surge protection and a voltage regulator plugged into the surge protector and our equipment plugged into the voltage regulator.
Overkill always. But I'm not rewiring or putting in additional circuit breakers into this rented house. Never heard the voltage regulator once in the six years we lived in the house that we built on the coast. Infrastructure is everything and I bet we're the only ones that looked at rentals here with a surge protector in hand to check for grounded plugs.

Ow I don't know but the bill for putting in a ground rod, chiseling a wire path for a ground wire to the box, and adding two grounded outlets to the
living room and a breaker was $92. I do admit the outlets were of poor quality but they work and I at least have a proper ground for switching power
supplies to reference to.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 pm

I replaced all the wiring in my home with heavy gauge wiring and still in every room have a UPS to protect from surges and lightening strikes, only lost one item after a storm, a DVD player that was plugged into upgraded electrical and not the UPS.

As far as CFE bills, it is one of the mysteries of Mexico. My girlfriend´s small condo of maybe 1000 square feet has a bi monthly bill of $1,800 pesos on average, my Guadalajara office which is only slightly bigger than many closets (under 500 square feet) in gringo homes $1,700 pesos, and my building (4,000 square feet) with 3 meters totals under $1,000 pesos and I have A/C and run it daily.

Go figure!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue May 22, 2012 4:49 pm

CFE bills make absolutely no sense. One persons bill will be low while anothers will be high, both of whom have similar homes with similar appliances and pools running approx the same time and similar lifestyles. People's bills in our Community run from a low of $ 2,200 pesos to highs of $ 6,000 pesos. My cousin gets a $ 2,200 peso bill every 2 months. Yet I know several of us who have bills of $ 4,800 - $ 6,000 pesos a month. Two people are running $ 10,000 pesos every two months because of A/C in the wine cellars and coy ponds whose motors run about 18 hours a day.

One of the reasons for variances is CFE's junk electric meters that don't record properly and meters that are adjusted to run fast or slow.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue May 22, 2012 5:57 pm

johninajijic wrote:One of the reasons for variances is CFE's junk electric meters that don't record properly and meters that are adjusted to run fast or slow.

Well hell, let's just all get the meters that are adjusted to run slow and not worry about it.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I have 4200 sq. ft. home, 3 sat receivers, DW, 2 refers, pool w/solar heat. My bills in 2006 ran 2300 every 2 months. Hired an electrical contractor, installed a second meter, balanced power on each meter, bill is 1600 every 2 months.

Funny thing though, it took CFE 11 months to provide 2nd meter, so paid NADA for that period of time. Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

merry wrote:
johninajijic wrote:One of the reasons for variances is CFE's junk electric meters that don't record properly and meters that are adjusted to run fast or slow.

Well hell, let's just all get the meters that are adjusted to run slow and not worry about it.

Merry

What a wonderful idea! Or just break the seal and turn it down.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2