INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE?

+12
oncesubtle
hockables
David
CheenaGringo
Hensley
CanuckBob
gringal
viajero
hound dog
Mainecoons
Parker
johninajijic
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE? Empty WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE?

Post by johninajijic Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:51 am

What are your reasons for retiring to Ajijic? I will list mine, but feel free to add anything that I have missed or add your own in most important order first.

1. Weather - A most temperate climate unlike anywhere in the world, low humidity and abundant days of sunshine. Even So. Calif cannot compare to Lakeside, as it gets down to 32 deg F in winter nights.

2. Cost of Living - Practically no house taxes, cheaper car insurance, no personal property or excise tax on cars, food is cheaper if you buy at Mexican markets or tianguis.

3. An interesting Mexican culture.

4. Close proximity to an International Airport - 25 miles.

5. Close proximity to a major city - 35 miles

6. Close proximity to dozens of excellent Hospitals and Doctors in GDL.

7. A large variety of decent restaurants with very reasonable prices.

8. A good choice of all types of contractors at reasonable prices.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE? Empty Re: WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE?

Post by Parker Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 am

John, my list would be almost exactly the same and pretty much the same order. I would also include the interesting places one can visit in fairly close proximity.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE? Empty Re: WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR RETIRING TO LAKESIDE?

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 am

A good list. As a Village dweller, I'd add the "walk everywhere" lifestyle. We save a bunch of money and get a lot of enjoyable and beneficial exercise walkiing to shops and attractions in Ajijic. Not being a slave to the automobile was very high up on our list of reasons for moving here. We haven't been disappoiinted on that score one bit.

But for sure, Climate is #1. We only have one problem with it and that is the shock we encounter when we go other places and have to experience adverse climates again.

In truth, we really haven't encountered much downside. Tops of that list would be the difficulty in finding stuff and the lousy electricity and internet service here.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:47 pm

[quote="johninajijic"]What are your reasons for retiring to Ajijic? I will list mine, but feel free to add anything that I have missed or add your own in most important order first.

1. Weather - A most temperate climate unlike anywhere in the world, low humidity and abundant days of sunshine. Even So. Calif cannot compare to Lakeside, as it gets down to 32 deg F in winter nights.

A most temporate climate unlike anwhere in the world? I don´t think you´ve been around John which is OK but don´t make rash statements about things with which you are unfamiliar. Just off the top of my head, here are a few [i]
worthy places outside of Mexico that compete with Ajijic climatewise. Nairobi, Kenya; Bangalore, India; Bogotá, Colombia; The Cameron Highlands, Malaysia; Moshe, Tanzania; Kampala, Uganda; Oakland, California and on and on and I can tell you have never lived in Coastal Southern Caliornia where 32 or less Fahrenheit nights are an aberration at or near sea level and only to be experienced in the high mountains just as one would experience here in Mexico at high altitudes. In Mexico, I could name a dozen places in the highlands at around 5,000 fet that would compete with Ajijic in weather no contest.

2. Cost of Living - Practically no house taxes, cheaper car insurance, no personal property or excise tax on cars, food is cheaper if you buy at Mexican markets or tianguis.

No excise taxes? Get serious. The favorite tax of the Mexican government is the IVA or Value Added Tax that extracts 16% of more from every purchase you make legally with an obscene tax overlay. Sometimes, as when we bought our present car in Guadalajara, that IVA is not even dissclosed but it adds very significanltly tp the cost of everything you pay for from a television set to an ATM cash withdrawal to a doctor´s visit unless the doctor, as just about everyone selling anything in this country, is a tax cheat which most of them are. The reason you think that you are not paying excise taxes is, perhaps, because you are buying in the vast cash-based underground economy here and participating in government tax fraud which just about everyone does.

As observed from an insular, gated, hillside community as far from "Mexican culture" as Jack Palance from Billy Crystal. Like reading in the Birmingham News about the 16th Street Baptist Church civil rights crusades while sipping a single malted scotch straight up in a lawn chair at te the exclusive Mountain Brook Country Club while gazing down Red Mountain onto the lights of Downtown Birmingham and speculating on the marches Dr. King has planned for the next day and whether "Bull" Connor was going to unleash the dogs.

That asset can be duplicated in a thousand places.

Ditto.

A good point. Dawg thinks Guadalajara´s medical facilities are top notch.

O.K. "Decent" being the key word

8. A good choice of all types of contractors at reasonable prices.[/quote][/i]

Some of whom will steal your socks without removing your shoes. However, I agree that many here are very good. The same coud be said of Chiapas where we rebuilt a home from the ground up with excellent architects, engineers and construction workers. Nothing unique about that.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm

John at least 6 of the things you mentioned can be found at the prestigous"Tumble Weed Estates Trailer Park"in Barstow,CA.I've had some offers on that dbl wide I told you about but I'm waiting to hear from you.
Your future neighbors were really excited when I told them about you and have asked me to foward this list of restaurants for a possible dinner group itinerary,
Denny's: breakfast,Jack in Box: continental, Long John Silver:seafood,Pizza Hut;italian,Popeyes:soul food,McDonalds:american,Subway:deli and Taco Bell:mexican and the list goes on.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Dawg, you can find all of the items on the list in other places but not all at the same time. It's a great combination. I submit that it is also a unique one. For sure, Nairobi lacks more than a few of them. Very Happy

Viajero, you are painting such an alluring picture of the Tumble Weed Estates I am concerned that you are going to trigger a new exodus from our second-class gated communities and effete but declining snobby Village neighborhoods. You should be careful as you might be the cause of the demise of Lakeside all by yourself, relegating the criminal population to also-ran status.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Dawg, you can find all of the items on the list in other places but not all at the same time. It's a great combination. I submit that it is also a unique one. For sure, Nairobi lacks more than a few of them. Very Happy

Viajero, you are painting such an alluring picture of the Tumble Weed Estates I am concerned that you are going to trigger a new exodus from our second-class gated communities and effete but declining snobby Village neighborhoods. You should be careful as you might be the cause of the demise of Lakeside all by yourself, relegating the criminal population to also-ran status.
Did I mention that the lot we are talking about sits on the 3rd fairway of the minature golf course,the one with the castle.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah, but do they have regular Bingo in the clubhouse?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry viajero, not interested in that one. Since we live in a quiet, bucolic Village location just a few blocks from the Plaza, the church, the soccer field and the bull ring, we are used to total peace and quiet. Hence, the clunking up and down of the door of the castle would provide far too much noise for our liking.

Do you have the lot overlooking the sewage pond still available? Might be interested in that one. Fun to watch the ducks land in it and die.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:06 pm

johninajijic wrote:What are your reasons for retiring to Ajijic? I will list mine, but feel free to add anything that I have missed or add your own in most important order first.

Pretty much the same as all our reasons for moving down however I would put the cost of living at #4 on the list and remove the medical and contractor reasons........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Weather
Being able to retire at 43.
Lots of new friends.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:25 pm

gringal wrote:Yeah, but do they have regular Bingo in the clubhouse?
Disclosure laws force me to admit that the clubhouse is still in the planning stage but I can tell you that the bingo will be anything but regular.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:07 pm

With the exception of the Dawg and a couple of others, it strikes me that some others have so little experience with other places in Mexico that they are hardly qualified to deem that Lakeside is the best there is. And that would include the OP! Just today, he provided the justification on another forum of Ajijic being a hot spot being promoted in Canada as related to him by his extensive list of Canadian friends.

There is an old saying about your satisfaction of where you live is based upon the effort one puts forth to make it what you wish!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 pm

OK, no problem. Let's see a list of other places that have all of these attributes in one location. Cuernavaca has been mentioned by some as having all of them. Others?

Of course there is no one perfect place. Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. One takes one happiness with them, it is not a geographic thing.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 pm

For us it was:
1.Climate
2.Culture
3.Cost of living
4.Good Medical care
5.Good shopping (Guadalajara)
6.International Airport

in no particular order these were the criteria we used.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Far be it from me trying to tell or dictate to others where they should retire! My point was more about: until you have experienced other places in Mexico - how can you state that the Lakeside area is the ideal? Because the forums told you so or because all of the advice sites said so? The arrogance exhibited by some that they chose the perfect spot is beyond me! Sure, it may be the perfect spot for them but forcing that opinion on others just happens to gall me. Additionally, this attitude really jacks my butt when I see it coming from people with so damned little experience with what the entire Country of Mexico has to offer!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:56 pm

:)

Last edited by hockables on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:03 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Far be it from me trying to tell or dictate to others where they should retire! My point was more about: until you have experienced other places in Mexico - how can you state that the Lakeside area is the ideal? Because the forums told you so or because all of the advice sites said so? The arrogance exhibited by some that they chose the perfect spot is beyond me! Sure, it may be the perfect spot for them but forcing that opinion on others just happens to gall me. Additionally, this attitude really jacks my butt when I see it coming from people with so damned little experience with what the entire Country of Mexico has to offer!

Not to mention the ROW (Rest Of the World). e.g. Spain and Portugal are very nice.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Our reasons were the same only adding proximity to the states. What I would like to know is where there is any other place that compares. If we could find a better place we'd move there.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:47 pm

oncesubtle:

My point exactly! How can one determine where they should retire until they have have the experience of seeing and experiencing the various options? No body is capable of suggesting or dictating to others where they should based upon their singular experiences! On this and other forums, I often see people attempting to direct what others should do and this is plain wrong! People need to do their own due diligence and attempt to figure out what is best for them.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm

If San Miguel were at this altitude, it would be my magical place to live. It was just too cold Dec.,Jan and most of Feb...if the orientation of our house had been different, then it would have been way too hot in May and June. San Miguel has changed...way too much traffic. On the other hand, I didn't choose Ajijic in '96 because I thought we'd roll over and die of boredom. Now, it's the perfect place for us. The beach is way too hot in the summer FOR US...some people love it.

People's needs and interests and capabilities change. The places where they live change. If it's perfect for you right here and right now, good for you!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:oncesubtle:

My point exactly! How can one determine where they should retire until they have have the experience of seeing and experiencing the various options? No body is capable of suggesting or dictating to others where they should based upon their singular experiences! On this and other forums, I often see people attempting to direct what others should do and this is plain wrong! People need to do their own due diligence and attempt to figure out what is best for them.

No one could possibly experience all possibilities, that’s just how it is. But when you find something you lean towards one feels they should give it a try. Of course if one likes a certain area they will promote it. CG, these are people making suggestions, only a place to start. Most people will choose for themselves, this is not about a controlling issue.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:03 am

johninajijic wrote:What are your reasons for retiring to Ajijic? I will list mine, but feel free to add anything that I have missed or add your own in most important order first.

Well, I'm here mostly for the climate. I shattered my leg and the wonderful surgeon I had put all the pieces back together wrong. I developed problems from my toes all the way to my nose. The cold hurts...shivering is god awful! The heat hurts...even in May, here, it was bad. I'm still not supposed to be vertical for more than an hour total a day. In the states, that was accurate, but here I can do more...not a lot, but more.

My second consideration was safety. Even with all the nonsense lately, I think we are safer here and children are definitely safer here. Culture plays into this IMO.

Believe it or not, the cost of living is higher here for me. I'm from Appalachia (not one of the isolated big cities either). Everything here costs more, I think...except electricity/utilities.

I don't have to be near an International airport or major city. I used to drive an hour and twenty minutes to get to (high) school in the morning and spent every weekend in DC to get out of Appalachia as much as possible. I got used to being far away from everything a long time ago. Our closest WalMart was an hour away and we didn't get that until a few years ago. This also is why numerous nearby restaurants aren't all that important to me...I had three Mexican restaurants that I frequented a couple/few times a week each and that was it. I just wish I could find my beloved arroz con cameron here...with the wonderful white cheese sauce and fire roasted veggies.

However, proximity to quality medical care is an important factor for me.

My selfish requirement...close proximity to the shore. I love the beach!

I wouldn't dare say it is the best place on Earth (I haven't been enough places yet) , but right now, it is great for my situation. Everyone's desires/needs are different and no one place is going to be perfect for everyone. My family has come and they all hate it here...my sister was afraid to leave the hotel and wouldn't be caught dead out after dark (in Ajijic). My friends think I am nuts.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:27 am

I would have to add all the activities especially sports that we are involved with.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:51 am

We spent five years traveling and looking at Expat communities and Lakeside
was the best. Many Expat communities have borderline medical care and a
preoccupation with drinking. While I like to drink it seems the only thing to do
in many expat communities. Hotest thing to do at night in Caye Caulker Belize
is to go to the bar and answer trivia questions. My landlord got all excited one
night and said we have a band coming over to play in the nightclub tonight. I
go to the nightclub and they basically played the whole Hotel California Album
that the eagles did in the 80's. Barbados was the worst as all the expats
(mostly british) basically hang out together behind walls. Not much interaction
with the locals other than labor for the expats. Did some time in Saudi behind
the walls kinda like living in a gated community in Southern California and not
being able to leave. Lakeside turned out to be pretty unique and I intend to
die here if possible after a long and productive time here.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next