INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are You Doing for Christmas?

+14
David
CanuckBob
jeano.gal
DaveP
MyHomeSweetHome
viajero
Parker
hockables
Rolly
raqueteer
CheenaGringo
gringal
Mainecoons
johninajijic
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What are You Doing for Christmas? Empty What are You Doing for Christmas?

Post by johninajijic Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:31 pm

What are you doing for Christmas Eve or Christmas day in terms of celebration or Dinner? Are you dining out? Or eating at home with friends? Or going to a friends house for dinner?

What are you having for your Christmas meal?

We traditionally have the same neighbourhood couple for dinner and invite one other couple.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

What are You Doing for Christmas? Empty Re: What are You Doing for Christmas?

Post by Mainecoons Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Having a breakfast gathering here and then going to friend's house later in the day. Really hard to feel like Christmas with this intolerable 70 degree weather and sunshine. Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:36 pm

I can live without a "white Christmas" ; an interesting thought in itself. Obviously, it wasn't that way in Bethlehem, so I figure it was part of the co-opted-by-the-church original Winter Solstice Pagan celebrations. Plenty of snow in Europe, along with pines.

However, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. OLE!
mariachi

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Now we know we can blame it on Gringal:

[img]What are You Doing for Christmas? 7_day10[/img]

Current Radar (Blue = White):

[img]What are You Doing for Christmas? Radar10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I could care less about snow, especially after all those photos the other day.

This is our year to cook dinner, and we've already started. Mostly non traditional food.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:07 pm

That's damn cold for ABQ isn't it? I know Santa Fe (higher elevation) gets very cold. You are colder than some East Coast states. And much colder than So CA.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm

I admit it. It's ALL MY FAULT for saying "snow".

What am I doing? We're having something good at home on Christmas.

I'm getting allergic to the large crowds on special occasions. Hard to get good service with an overworked staff. So you wait. And wait. Mass produced dinners usually don't quite measure up, either. Then people start getting likkered up while they wait for their food, and the ones who went to the "laughing hyena" school of speech get going. After a while, I'm wishing I were somewhere else: Like home.

Hard to beat a home cooked dinner with a fireplace blazing, nice music on the CD player and good company to boot. A little brandy and life is excellent.

Wishing you all a fine time, too........whatever you're planning.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm

gringal wrote:I admit it. It's ALL MY FAULT for saying "snow".

What am I doing? We're having something good at home on Christmas.

I'm getting allergic to the large crowds on special occasions. Hard to get good service with an overworked staff. So you wait. And wait. Mass produced dinners usually don't quite measure up, either. Then people start getting likkered up while they wait for their food, and the ones who went to the "laughing hyena" school of speech get going. After a while, I'm wishing I were somewhere else: Like home.

Hard to beat a home cooked dinner with a fireplace blazing, nice music on the CD player and good company to boot. A little brandy and life is excellent.

Wishing you all a fine time, too........whatever you're planning.
cheers

I feel the same way, and so that's exactly what we're doing on New Years Eve. It's safer to have a little get together New Years day when there are no drunks on the road.

We'll also be home Christmas, but just a small group that we know well. Beer

A happy holiday to everyone.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:47 pm

A friend and I are going to a French restaurant on Friday. Sat and Sun I'll stay home and watch TV and stuff on the cookies I hope Santa will bring.

Next week I'll do my income tax online to be ready to file the day the IRS opens their online window.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:53 pm

John:

You are somewhat correct in your assumption but Albuquerque does typically experience a 5 to 10 day cold snap each winter. The city has a somewhat unique geography in that the Valley sits at about 5300' but the heights will exceed 6000'. Santa Fe does sit at 7000'. We have this phenomenon called "Canyon Winds", which is basically an east wind blowing off the plains from beyond our mountains which sit on the east side of Albuquerque. Right now, we are experiencing gusts in the 30 to 45mph range but they are predicting 60mph. On the plus side, we won't accumulated a great deal of snow up here but on the negative side, we cannot have a fire because of the wind blowing down the chimney and we have whitecaps in the toilet bowls from wind blowing down the vent pipes. This too will pass and we will go back to sunshine!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Here in the Great White North.... it ain't white...

Supposed to be 4 or 5C the rest of the week....

I thought I might take in a little " Parka Golf "

Hot Tub by the Lake... Dinner by the Fireplace...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Early dinner with dear friends and their families. Home to the fireplace and “Chocolate Margaritas”. All in all, good. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:55 am

Dinner at home with friends,costco ham,pasta,waldorf salad and lots of ponche,but for New Years we go to the little rancho in Guanajuato where my wife was born and most of her family still lives,my father inlaw will butcher one of his young pigs and a baby goat,roast the pig on a spit and do the cabrito Nuevo Leon style.Entertainment; bonfires, fireworks,music and the burning of the Viejito and lots of tequila and pulque.Great traditions,lots of fun and salt of the earth people.Happy Holidays everyone and muchas gracias CB for the forum.
Spanish expression for the day:Portanse mal y cuidanse bien:Behave badly and take good care.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:10 pm

viajero - we have one thing in common a Costco ham for Christmas.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Happily slaving away trying to meet my own expectations of the chosen Traditional Christmas Turkey Dinner. Almost everything is from scratch:

Already baked fresh graham crackers & have the crust ready for Pumpkin cheese cake. I chose not to make the cream cheese & sour cream this year...cheated.

Fresh green bean casserole w/homemade cream soup & crisping my own crunchy onions.

Mashed potatoes, grandma's marinaded sweet potato or yam casserole w/homemade marshmallows toasted on top.

Grandma's cranberry salad.

The croissant dough & whipped butter has already rested overnight, ready for the next step. They'll be hot out of the oven before the turkeys come out tomorrow.

Beside homemade almond butter chocolate covered bon bons that were made before Thanksgiving & have waited in the freezer for Christmas Eve, there are chocolate chunk cookies. Still sour cream lemon & a blueberry cream cheese pie to make yet. I'm tired reading this but it brings me a lot of satisfaction at this stage of my life.

The tricky part is getting what I need done now in 2 1/2 hours before a prior engagement. Croissants will be rolled out and raise in the fridge over night. Those will be delish w/the homemade berry freezer jam I made for the first time after Thanksgiving.

We're celebrating w/a Mexican family that has been close to us since we moved here. Dinner, dessert and opening some gifts together Christmas Eve after a beautiful traditional Candle Light & Christmas Hymns service. If you'd like more info about that, send me a p.m. Christmas a.m., dressing up for Christmas Sunday at church & having a more intimate Christmas w/immediate family after.

New Year's Day I want a leg of lamb stuffed w/garlic & fresh rosemary from the garden, pureed sweet potatoes, & green salad. Dessert: chocolate covered pumpkin cheesecakes & I'd be thrilled if I could see the Rose ball Parade w/live commentaries & a few fireworks in Chapala from home :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by MyHomeSweetHome on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New Year plans)

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Sooooo, MyHomeSweetHome would you mind sending me a P.M. with your address, and a map?

TIA,
raq

BTW This kinda makes my non traditional Christmas spam roll seem a little dull. Very Happy

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:10 pm

What time should we come over? Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 pm

will do raq.

ahhh, i'd love to have you sometime coons ;0)

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:39 pm

johninajijic wrote:viajero - we have one thing in common a Costco ham for Christmas.
Thanks John,any digs I've taken at you in the forum were just in fun,Merry Christmas from my family to yours.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:45 pm

MyHomeSweetHome wrote:Happily slaving away trying to meet my own expectations of the chosen Traditional Christmas Turkey Dinner. Almost everything is from scratch:

Already baked fresh graham crackers & have the crust ready for Pumpkin cheese cake. I chose not to make the cream cheese & sour cream this year...cheated.

Fresh green bean casserole w/homemade cream soup & crisping my own crunchy onions.

Mashed potatoes, grandma's marinaded sweet potato or yam casserole w/homemade marshmallows toasted on top.

Grandma's cranberry salad.

The croissant dough & whipped butter has already rested overnight, ready for the next step. They'll be hot out of the oven before the turkeys come out tomorrow.

Beside homemade almond butter chocolate covered bon bons that were made before Thanksgiving & have waited in the freezer for Christmas Eve, there are chocolate chunk cookies. Still sour cream lemon & a blueberry cream cheese pie to make yet. I'm tired reading this but it brings me a lot of satisfaction at this stage of my life.

The tricky part is getting what I need done now in 2 1/2 hours before a prior engagement. Croissants will be rolled out and raise in the fridge over night. Those will be delish w/the homemade berry freezer jam I made for the first time after Thanksgiving.

We're celebrating w/a Mexican family that has been close to us since we moved here. Dinner, dessert and opening some gifts together Christmas Eve after a beautiful traditional Candle Light & Christmas Hymns service. If you'd like more info about that, send me a p.m. Christmas a.m., dressing up for Christmas Sunday at church & having a more intimate Christmas w/immediate family after.

New Year's Day I want a leg of lamb stuffed w/garlic & fresh rosemary from the garden, pureed sweet potatoes, & green salad. Dessert: chocolate covered pumpkin cheesecakes & I'd be thrilled if I could see the Rose ball Parade w/live commentaries & a few fireworks in Chapala from home :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wow, sounds great!!
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:06 pm

MyHomeSweetHome wrote:will do raq.

ahhh, i'd love to have you sometime coons ;0)

Hey not just me, with a menu like that I was planning on bringing everyone I know.

Sounds great, have fun and worry about the diet next year. Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Our 5.5k Mexican Prime Rib Roast (aged 3 weeks) is in the fridge waiting to be cooked.
Our dinner with friends will include roasted potatoes, camote, broccoli casserole, along with wasabi horseradish and home made pickles. Sides include Canadian Cheddar and Mexican Manchego cheeses, home made pepper jelly, olives, and maybe more. Dessert will be individual cheescakes with whipped cream and fresh blackberry topping and chocolate coated strawberries

Fresh margaritas, wine, beer

AND 70F+-.

What more can you want
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:24 pm

[quote="DaveP"

What more can you want[/quote]

Uhhh Dave, how about MyHomeSweetHome in the kitchen to cook it all and wash up afterwards. Just a suggestion. Beer

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:27 pm

raqueteer wrote:[quote="DaveP"

What more can you want

Uhhh Dave, how about MyHomeSweetHome in the kitchen to cook it all and wash up afterwards. Just a suggestion. Beer [/quote]

I love the cooking part. I have the washing up covered
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Did you say you were inviting us all over? Oh, you didn't. Oh.

What are You Doing for Christmas? 851398

Have a great one! You sound like a fantastic cook.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next