INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for those interested in art

+5
Splashingcolor
gringal
Mainecoons
simpsca
drmike
9 posters

Go down

Looking for those interested in art Empty Looking for those interested in art

Post by drmike Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:37 am

My wife enjoys doing various art projects (ceramics, photography, etc). We are planning to move to the lakeside area at the end of 2012. She has asked me to find out if anyone currently does work in glass, especially in glass fusing and glass slumping. If there is a group in the Lakeside area who work with glass or if you know of a place in Guadalajara please let me know.

Thank you,

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for those interested in art Empty Re: Looking for those interested in art

Post by simpsca Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 am

I have no idea what that is glass (fusing and slumping) - but there was or is a shop that had lessons in satined glass. A friend made her own stained glass windows in her home. It is or in west Ajijic. I think they may have moved recently - it was next to a hardware store. I'll check when I drive in and see if it is still open or if it moved.

There are photography groups. And I know a potter but don't know if there is a group. Groups are forming all the time.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Looking for those interested in art Empty Re: Looking for those interested in art

Post by Mainecoons Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:50 am

Lots of glass works in Tonala and Telachepaque too.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:19 am

Dr. Mike, when you get to town......there's more arts and crafts that you'd expect. All over the place, including glass works.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:27 pm

There are a couple of people lakeside who do this form of art, both also teach it. One is Laurie, who also owns "60's in paradise" and Jose, who owns a gift shop/ gallery on the plaza in Ajijic. Your wife can contact Ajijic Society of the Arts, or ASA when she gets to town to get contact information on each of these artist. ASA meets on the first Monday of the month. You can find out time and location of the meetings in the local rags. There is also a man in town who teaches stain glass classes too. You wife will be hard pressed not finding enough to do lakeside. I'm so busy with art classes, art groups, book club and Mexican Train group, I have to schedule time for lunches with friends.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 pm

"She has asked me to find out if anyone currently does work in glass, especially in glass fusing and glass slumping."

You can find numerous shops in Tlaquepaque with fairly expensive examples of both slumped and fused glass. On the other hand, Tonala where much of this product is produced is much more reasonable and there is a greater variety. With respect to Tonala, they are known for their glass and you will have an opportunity to view some incredible items.

[img]Looking for those interested in art Dscn1817[/img]

Glass shops are all around town and the variety will blow you away!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 am

There's also a shop just off the main drag where they are blowing glass in the open and you can stand there and watch them work from a close distance. It is fascinating!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 am

Thank you "Splashingcolor", "CheenaGringo" and "Mainecoons" for your direct information. This will make my wife happy to read.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Wait until you see what you can buy down here for a very very good price.
Almost all art is a bargain down here but it is a two edged sword and it
means artists don't get rich here but I am not sure they get rich NOB
either. I bought two beautiful oil paintings by local famous artists for 1500
and 2100 pesos at the red cross/Gonzalez auction yesterday. If you like
art you will see it all down here. The nicest part is normal people can afford
to buy unique art and display it in there homes which can be museums in
themselves. Add art and I have never been happier in a home.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:35 pm

To me, it's rather sad that artists are getting such low prices for their work. It takes years to acquire those skills, so it is, indeed, a two edged sword. Nice for the buyers, though.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Zed:

If the paintings you purchased were by Efren Gonzalez, then you have artwork by an artist we have felt would be truly famous one day. We have known Efren for over ten years and have a number of pieces done by him. Not only has he done some great works but he is such a wonderful asset to the community with his programs to assist the youth with developing their talents. His murals are scattered throughout the Lake Chapala area on the sides of schools and the giant mural he did in the stairwell of the Chapala City Hall. On top of all that, Efren is a truly wonderful person!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Zed:

If the paintings you purchased were by Efren Gonzalez, then you have artwork by an artist we have felt would be truly famous one day. We have known Efren for over ten years and have a number of pieces done by him. Not only has he done some great works but he is such a wonderful asset to the community with his programs to assist the youth with developing their talents. His murals are scattered throughout the Lake Chapala area on the sides of schools and the giant mural he did in the stairwell of the Chapala City Hall. On top of all that, Efren is a truly wonderful person!

I agree with everything you have said. We bought his Donkey picture he did in 2010. What I like about him is his experimental and everchanging
styles. He ran the auction and his description of one painting he did was I tried to paint as fast as I could while drinking and this is what you end
up with. He is good in oil and water colors. It hurt to miss some of his horse paintings but they just went for too much for my personal budget.

All I can say about his gifts to the community is he is one classy guy in my opinion. Enuf said.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Efren did a large mural in the central staircase of our casa. We treasure it and it was a pleasure to work with him and meet his lovely esposa.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:02 pm

I can’t seem to remember but who did the mural on the wall just as you’re driving into Chapala?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:31 pm

The mural painted on the retaining wall just west of the entrance to Chapala was done by Sr. Zaragoza. He's quite well known locally, having painted the walls of the church in Ixtlahuacan some 40 years ago when he was a lad of just 16. Quite the story and it makes a visit to the church even more interesting.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:10 pm

oncesubtle wrote:The mural painted on the retaining wall just west of the entrance to Chapala was done by Sr. Zaragoza. He's quite well known locally, having painted the walls of the church in Ixtlahuacan some 40 years ago when he was a lad of just 16. Quite the story and it makes a visit to the church even more interesting.

To me this is a guy that knows what true art is all about. Because of necessity many artist downgrade their work to mass produce for compensation, that’s life. But IMHO and if I can afford it, I want the good stuff. A well-known name just doesn’t do it for me. Thanks for the response. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Currently Zaragoza has a project going on in the newly refurbished plaza in Ixlahuacan. As he is always happy to chat you might want to visit and get an estimate if you want him to do some work on your property. Surprisingly, he is affordable.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Here are some links to local murals and a story on Javier Zaragoza:

http://www.mexico-insights.com/judysblog/?tag=/murals

https://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t1513-art-tour-murals-of-chapala-and-ajijic
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down