INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

squirrel proofing outdoor furniture

+2
BisbeeGal
sturdley
6 posters

Go down

squirrel proofing outdoor furniture Empty squirrel proofing outdoor furniture

Post by sturdley Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:45 am

I am looking for something that I can spray on my outdoor cushions and furniture so that squirrels will leave them alone. I will appreciate any suggestions.

sturdley

Back to top Go down

squirrel proofing outdoor furniture Empty Re: squirrel proofing outdoor furniture

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:41 am

Most sites recommend 'stinky' stuff that might also repel humans (hot sauce, mothballs) and/or if applied to cushions might damage fabric.

I'd suggest either covering the furniture when not in use with tarps, or buying a 'deck box' to store the cushions. With the latter, you'd still have to treat the furniture base if they are chewing on it.

At a rural garden in the US I used dried blood around the perimeter to keep deer out of it. Some sites say it will work for squirrels. You can get dried blood at garden centers (in US) as it's also a nitrogen boost for soil. No idea if sold here.

Another idea is to set up a motion detector sprinkler; we used one effectively against possums at a different house here. It could work depending on where the squirrels are getting access to your patio.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

squirrel proofing outdoor furniture Empty Re: squirrel proofing outdoor furniture

Post by CanuckBob Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:37 pm

Cats and/or a pellet gun.........those tree rats drive me crazy too.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:04 pm

Squirrels can do a lot of damage.

Once lived on 5 heavily wooded acres in VA.

One chewed through a cedar attic vent (house was cedar clapboards) to the tune of $1500 repairs.

Others chewed through the propane line at our bbq grill repeatedly.

When our electric power would go out and we'd call to report the outage, the rural electric cooperative agent would say, "Yeah, well there's a lot of squirrels on your street."

I won't even get into what they did to our garden and bird feeders.......
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:59 pm

Squirrel gravy is really good. There should be some nice fat ones here. Best way to remove squirrels are live traps. Bait with peanuts or corn. I always leave a trail of peanuts to the trap with several on top of trigger pan. Take them out in the country and let them be someone else's problem or give to gardener I am sure they can find a use for it.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by desafinada Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:48 am

We had problems with them tearing away the car engine compartment insulation. We brought back from NOB an animal repellent spray that we now treat the car every time we are gone for long period of time. We bought it at Home Depot so maybe they carry it down here.

desafinada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:27 am

I spray Peppermint oil in my engine area. Works great.

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down