INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bottled water

3 posters

Go down

Bottled water Empty Bottled water

Post by Jreboll Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:04 am

It seems a better choice to boil water than to use bottled water or water from garrafon.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/simple-way-microplastics-water-141900217.html

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bottled water Empty Re: Bottled water

Post by mudgirl Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:16 pm

Best purchase I have made in a long time was the Berkey water filter system I bought in Canada a year and a half ago. No more dealing with those heavy garafons, no more water polluted by plastic. Stainless steel container, charcoal filters. The only thing plastic is the little spigot and a couple of little threaded bolts attached to the bottom of the filters and the nuts that attach them.
All I have to do is pour tap water in the top section and clean the filters every so often to remove the mineral deposits (lots of calcium in the water where I am), which just requires scrubbing with a brush and a bit of dish soap.

I also like that it isn't "dead" water, like the stuff in the garafons- it filters out the pathogens, but not the beneficial minerals.

The filters (mine takes 2) are pricey, but supposedly can last for up to 7 years, depending on how much stuff they are having to filter out.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:29 am

Interesting. Which model do you have?

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:28 pm

I got the 1.5 gallon "Travel Berkey". In retrospect, I should have gotten the next largest size, which wasn't much more expensive, just so I wouldn't have to refill it so often. I live alone, but sometimes have Airbnb guests, and depending on how much water they drink (I'm not a big water drinker myself), I usually have to pour a couple liters in every day.

But the next largest size wouldn't have fit in my suitcase with all the other stuff I was bringing down, so that entered into my decision.
It breaks down for packing, though, with the top section fitting inside the bottom section.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:48 pm

I do not know if this an option for you in MX, but at the beginning of the Covid pandemic, we bought and Apex Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water purifier. It screws onto a standard threaded kitchen faucet. We have used it for 5 years now and it works real well with our Sulphur water here in Florida. It is really amazing, the water tastes so good. You might be able to get one through Home Depot in MX. You can get the replacement filters through them as well.

RoyD
RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:26 pm

RoyD wrote:I do not know if this an option for you in MX, but at the beginning of the Covid pandemic, we bought and Apex Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water purifier.

RoyD
RoyD

According to their website, the countertop filters are not reverse osmosis. They just remove chlorine and some other things which taste bad, like sulphur, but they don't remove bacteria and viruses. Therefore, as it says on their website, they are fine for places where you are getting city water that is already treated and safe to drink, but just might not taste good, but not suitable for the water most of us get in Mexico, that comes from wells.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:02 pm

I beg to differ:

(6)
RO-CTOP-PHC
RO-CTOP-PHC – Portable Alkaline Mineral 90 GPD Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Systems for Drinking Water, With Case
Portable Alkaline Drinking Water System

Compatible With Standard Faucets. Will Not Work With pull-out faucet, special size designer faucet and sprayer faucet
Lightweight installation-free system, hooks up to most standard faucets in minutes
4-stage compact system for convenient Alkaline drinking water anywhere
Best for apartment or student who still demands the best water purification technology
Member Price $289.95 Listed Price $299.95
Login to receive member price. Learn more here. Total savings $10.00.

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:36 pm

Ah, you didn't post the model number in your original post and the ones I was looking at didn't mention removing bacteria and viruses. They have many different "attach to faucet" models.

I see that it requires minimum psi of 35, so it might not work in Mexico where people's water is gravity fed from the roof tinako. If they have a pressure pump, it would.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 pm

The water pressure could be an issue as most of the water down there is gravity fed. There are some areas that have pressurized water, but that is not the norm.

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:50 pm

P.S. standard us vs metric might be a problem as well, but there are adapters to convert.

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down