INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elimination of FMM Paperwork

+5
CanuckBob
mudgirl
RoyD
Plan B
BisbeeGal
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Elimination of FMM Paperwork Empty Elimination of FMM Paperwork

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:20 pm

This was posted by Sonia Diaz a INM facilitator working out of SMA and PV.  

FMM's being Eliminated - update
Please note, the FMM cards are being eliminated starting July 28, 2022. When a person enters Mexico, you will not be issued a FMM. You will have a stamp in your passport and in that stamp will be written the number of days you may be in Mexico.

Similarly, when a person has a pre-approved visa from a Mexican consulate, in their passport, a FMM will not be issued and a date will be stamped on the pre-approved visa. As well, it will be written CANJE 30 days.

When a TR or PR resident leaves Mexico your passport is stamped with date and written is your visa status and SALIDA. And when entering Mexico, stamped with date, visa status and the word ENTRADA.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean, ferret and Plan B like this post

Back to top Go down

Elimination of FMM Paperwork Empty Re: Elimination of FMM Paperwork

Post by Plan B Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:48 pm

It's about time!
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:57 pm

We will be arriving on Sept 1. Will I still need to go online and get a tourist visa?

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I am a funny guy

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:13 pm

RoyD wrote:We will be arriving on Sept 1. Will I still need to go online and get a tourist visa?

RoyD

You used to get a tourist visa online, or do you mean a TIP for your car? Tourists never got visas online if they flew in, as far as I'm aware- never heard of that- you just always filled out the FMM on the plane. If you are flying in, they will just stamp your passport when you go through immigration now. The cost for it is included in the price of your airfare.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:30 pm

That is what I m asking (excuse me for vagueness). Do I still have to fill out the tourist visa on line? We used to get them from the airline, but that was changed to on line.

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:54 pm

RoyD wrote:That is what I m asking (excuse me for vagueness). Do I still have to fill out the tourist visa on line? We used to get them from the airline, but that was changed to on line.

RoyD

I still don't really know what you are talking about. I never filled out any tourist visa online years ago when I was still a tourist. And they were still handing the FMM forms out on the plane when I flew back from Canada last summer. And you said it's been years since you've been back, so it doesn't make sense that you had to do it online because they weren't giving them out on the plane. I do seem to recall reading that there was a shortage of the forms at one point in the past year, and some of the airlines didn't have any, but that would have been after you last came down. But that didn't matter, people just filled them out when they arrived at the airport. I would assume you don't have to do anything online, they will just stamp your passport when you enter.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:31 pm

P.S Roy- as far as I'm aware, you never had to fill out the visa form online, it was just an option. If they didn't have the forms on the plane, they had them at the airport to fill out before passing through immigration.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:30 am

Roy, if you are flying in you do not need to fill out an FMM on the plane or online.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

panama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:02 am

Mudgirl, for any number of years one "could" go online and fill out paperwork for an FMM tourist card. Either by air or if planning on driving into Mexico. Same thing for a TIP if driving in. One still had to 'interface' with Immigration officials later but this step was seen to some as a 'timesaver' or 'doing some of the work in the comfort of one's own home'.

I'm not sure what this new July 28th procedural change will... or will not... have on 'going online first'. Someone soon might fill us in to what happens now due to their recent trip hopefully.

RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:44 am

I just never heard of anyone bothering to do the online visa thing unless they were driving in and needed a TIP. That would seem pointless, as you still have to go through immigration when you arrive and if they didn't have FMMs on the plane, they did in the airports. And they take all of 3-5 minutes to fill out, so online isn't some big time or hassle saver.

What I was really responding to was
RoyD wrote: Do I still have to fill out the tourist visa on line?

RoyD

Roy seemed to be under the impression that he was required to do it online at some point, which was never the case.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:58 am

Just FYI, and no longer needed.

https://www.mexicotouristcard.com
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

ferret and RickS like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:04 pm

fyi...this FB post in the last 20 minutes of her experience as an RT leaving GDL. So as of today, no elimination of FMM paperwork for an RT leaving GDL.

ok update, so went to IMN window as a temp visa I had to complete the bottom portion of the form, he stamped document not passport
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:21 pm

Of course.... it's MEXICO! Maybe July 28th implementation was rather a 'or when you get around to doing it' kind of thing.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:45 pm

In my experience, it always takes awhile for some places to "get the memo", when a new Mexican regulation or change comes into effect. Remember back when the immigration law changed and long-standing temps had  to go permanent? There was all sorts of conflicting information being given as to removing foreign plated cars for permanentes. Even Sonia Diaz was being given conflicting info by SAT and Aduana, and was posting updates, as she was told yet something else by someone else.

I actually read a post yesterday on a Baja forum by someone who was told by Immigration in Mexico City that this was a "trial" at this point, and only being done in certain airports. One of those was Guadalajara, so that just goes to show that you just have to wait and see here. Maybe they decided to carry on as usual until they run out of the forms they have on hand, or maybe the imm. official on duty at the time didn't get the memo, who knows.

I'm flying to Canada out of PV on the 12th, so I'll fill out the blank FMM I have on hand before I go, as I always do to save time at the INM desk in case it's needed.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

RickS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:08 pm

Here's a little story about the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.
Back when I went to permanente and had to get my Canadian-plated Japanese-made Honda CRV out of Mexico (broke my heart), I first took the ferry to La Paz to visit my daughter and family in Todos Santos. Then I drove up Baja to Tecate. The border there is a bit confusing, as the incoming, where the Aduana office is, is a block over from the outgoing lane and you can't see one from the other. All the signs going north were for outgoing, and as Baja is a free zone for cars (no TIPs required), everyone just usually drives straight out.

So I was looking for an Aduana office, but they just kept trying to wave me through to the US. I finally managed to get the point across that I needed the sticker removed and the paper saying the car had been removed, and was directed a block down and a block over (there was also road work being done, with detours and typical Mexican poor signage, which added to the fun). I parked and went to the Aduana window, and explained what I needed and why. The Aduana official said he had never heard of permanente residents having to remove their foreign-plated car and asked me where I had heard such a thing. I reached out and tapped the badge on his chest and said, "Orders from your jefe in Mexico City".

While I knew Baja has different vehicle rules, this was a federal regulation for permanentes- you'd think he would have heard of it sometime during the months that had passed since it was instituted. I guess I was the first permanente who had come from the mainland who needed this done.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:21 am

This is all such a hoot.  At any rate, I do have the link to the website, which says nothing about it other you can save time by filling it out on line. I will do this just to CMA. You cannot fill it out on line until 30 days before departure (tomorrow for me). It says to print it out (once completed) in case your cards do not arrive in time (you think?).

If the plane has them, great, and there is always the airport. Triple covered.

See you in a month.

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:22 pm

You can file a TIP online. I did it, and it saved the hassle of stopping at the border. Left via Columbia Bridge and got the refund registered.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:32 pm

Finally got through and got them printed off. When they say you cannot submit the form within 30 days of arrival date, they really mean 29.

Today was the first day it would accept my form. What happens is you get an error on the form saying the arrival date is in the wrong format. What they mean is your applying to soon.

One more step done for the trip to Lake Chapala.

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:45 pm

As you like, Roy, but it really didn't save you any time. You still have to line up and file through immigration when you arrive, and they will either give the forms on the plane to fill out, or you can fill one out while waiting in the line. That is, if they are using the forms. Otherwise, they will just stamp your passport.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:46 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:You can file a TIP online. I did it, and it saved the hassle of stopping at the border. Left via Columbia Bridge and got the refund registered.

The OP is flying.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Canada_Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyD Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:15 am

As a retired computer repair guy, I always told my customers to have backup of their data. I find that also applies to government bureaucracy.

RoyD

RoyD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:05 am

I flew out of PV airport to Canada 2 days ago as RP. No more FMM, no stamping of my passport on the way out. Guy at INM booth said it would only be stamped when returning.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

BisbeeGal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:12 am

What about the ArriveCan app? Did you have to do that? I have a planned trip to Canada leaving on October 6th.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:29 am

ferret wrote:What about the ArriveCan app? Did you have to do that? I have a planned trip to Canada leaving on October 6th.

As of now, yes.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:05 pm

ferret wrote:What about the ArriveCan app? Did you have to do that? I have a planned trip to Canada leaving on October 6th.
Like Canada Mike said.... Yes.   Follow the instructions on this web page for a "how to".....    Find out if you can enter Canada
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next