INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gourmet Garage

+3
slainte39
SunFan
ComputerGuy
7 posters

Go down

Gourmet Garage Empty Gourmet Garage

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 am

The new Riberas extension of Mi Ranchito Cremeria that people have been chomping at the bit for since they announced it, opened today with no fanfare. Tons of space and probably most of the inventory as the Chapala store. But the Chapala store is tiny and jam-packed, giving the impression of a lot more stuff than the new place. For me today, I think at this point it will be a hunt-and-seek situation, cruising the aisles for odd things that you may not be able to find elsewhere.

Lots of happy helpers all speaking perfect English and leading us through the sanitary steps to get into the store. They apparently had German meat sampling but I musta missed that.

The real magic of the Chapala store is not so much what they have, but what they advertise on their Facebook page. A masterstroke, and one that so many businesses here could learn from. When they get a special order or fulfill a special request, they post photos and make big announcements. This gets people all excited.

At the moment, most items can be found elsewhere: El Torito has a great selection of European-style sausage and wursts and salamis. Gourmet Garage definitely has more, because they bring in things like Japanese sausage, and Ukranian foods, but you won't be desperate without them. I guess the bakery goods will arrive eventually, but for me today the yummy-looking dinner rolls turned out to be just more Mexican bread made with manteca. They didn't have their cinammon raisin bread or bagels or other breads yet.

Prices of things like tiny jars of horseradish are way up there, just like SuperLake. Lots of imported canned vegetables and pork/beans, and a lot of things at the moment don't have prices on them... I don't bother looking at items like that. TONS of Red Vines and real black licorice, and I did break the bank to buy one package. Lots of imported cleaning stuff, like Downy Wrinkle products. A variety of Kirkland dry goods like paper towels. Imported snack crackers. Kerrygold butter (the price has gone from 82p for 200gr two months ago to $112; don't know why; assuming trade difficulties).

A really good cheese counter (Pancho has one too, but it's poorly managed with huge wheels and blocks of cheese with little to no description and zero pricing. I don't relish the thought of standing there asking over and over again "What's that? How much is that? Whose cheese is that cheese?"). Wonton skins. Interesting-looking cheesecakes... you'll have to go and look for yourself. I brought a loaded wallet and left with only two items, but I'm glad the store is there now and I know I will find interesting oddities as I go more often and as they flush out their selection.

So now we have Pancho's, Gourmet Garage, and Superlake, practically all in a row. It will be interesting.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, annied and Jubilacion like this post

Back to top Go down

Gourmet Garage Empty Re: Gourmet Garage

Post by SunFan Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:26 am

Can you give us a location.

Thanks
SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:54 am

Just east of the Pemex in Riberas. Right before a taco stand with a red roof.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Great review, Michael, appreciate it.

If you can afford it, at even some degree of your food budget, we certainly do not lack in diversity of what is available.
I think as many Tapatios come here to grocery shop, or at least spend as much dinero grocery shopping, as they do in the restaurants. lol!

I hear all the time about how lucky we are for the availability of various foodstuff items.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:08 pm

I was there on Friday and whilst everyone was friendly they need more staff and get prices on the self items and more help at the checkout counter. I did find a nice raisin bread and cheese, I hope they will have the capital to stay and weather the virus issues, etc. Many of the items look like they will duplicate what Pancho's has, but maybe less expensive?

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:40 pm

They are solvent and plus.  It´s the other way around, Pancho will duplicate what they have as they are wholesalers of imported foods that Pancho buys from them.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and Lady Otter Latté like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:01 pm

I got my two loaves of Schleisman's Cinnamon Raisin Bread on Friday... one for the fridge and one for the freezer. Toasted with butter, it's divine and is the closest to Sunmaid Raisin bread that I have ever found here.
BTW, I was in there on Tuesday and there wasn't any. I asked and was told it would be baked on Wednesday and delivered on Thursday.
So, if you don't see what you're looking for, ASK!
Also got Shreddies since SuperLake has been out for a while. They had all three kinds (original small bite, original whole wheat small bite, and original big biscuit).
New staff and a learning curve taking place so have patience.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 am

ferret wrote:I got my two loaves of Schleisman's Cinnamon Raisin Bread on Friday... one for the fridge and one for the freezer. Toasted with butter, it's divine and is the closest to Sunmaid Raisin bread that I have ever found here.
BTW, I was in there on Tuesday and there wasn't any. I asked and was told it would be baked on Wednesday and delivered on Thursday.
So, if you don't see what you're looking for, ASK!
Also got Shreddies since SuperLake has been out for a while. They had all three kinds (original small bite, original whole wheat small bite, and original big biscuit).
New staff and a learning curve taking place so have patience.

Did you see the Diamond Shreddies?
Gourmet Garage Diamon10
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:35 am

Nope. But, if I turn one of mine to the point, I've got diamond shreddies even if the label doesn't say so. ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:04 pm

There's even a combo pack of the two kinds!

Gourmet Garage Diamond-shreddies-rebranding-case-study-1-1

https://fameable.com/diamond-shreddies-rebranding-case-study/144/
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:19 pm

ROTFLMAO!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Prices are way to high. Items are much cheaper at Pancho's and Superlake. For instance can of chili with beans. Pancho's 62 pesos, Superlake 72 pesos and 102 pesos at Garage. Small box of wild rice at Garage 199 pesos. I only live 3 blocks from there but they are not going to get any of my business. Pancho's has better prices and a good vegetable and fruit selection.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Absolutely true! Even Kirkland brand TP and paper towel individuals are more expensive. I go in there to find the things that neither Pancho's nor SuperLake stock. Between the three stores, I hardly ever have to go to Walmart.
And none of the four stores has my favourite Aged Red Wine Vinegar. It has the words "Crianza" on the front and is aged in oak casks. The only place I have ever found it is at the Mega in front of the Gallerias Mall. Brand is YBarra. If you see any, please let me know.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:25 pm

Agreed. I was excited when they announced it, but if you find SuperLake prices high, you'll think GGs are outrageous. And I have been in several times to make requests, put my name on a list, but have never seen results.

The attraction of the store in Chapala was they were always getting in other odd things that GG doesn't seem to bother with, like perogies.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:41 pm

Stop feeding my food fantasies ComputerGuy! Sheesh, crumpets and perogies.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Ah, nothing like a Crumpet hot out of the toaster slathered in butter and topped with Cheese Whiz.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down