INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days?

+8
Heem
ferret
nolajoe
Smartalex
Rosa Venus
gringal
Lady Otter Latté
BisbeeGal
12 posters

Go down

What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days? Empty What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days?

Post by BisbeeGal Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Or should I say, NOT cooking. I'm refuse to turn on my oven (Mabe's are not the best insulated ovens).

Last night we had a smoked salmon cold plate, thanks to Canuck Bob. I supplemented his great salmon with Mediterranean deviled eggs, kalamata olives, green olives, goat cheese, sliced green apple, and Milton's crackers.

Been grilling a lot of spiced shrimp, chill then stuff into halved avocados (sometimes with remnants of black bean and corn salad).

Making a lot of black bean and corn salad (add chopped green onion, chopped red pepper, minced serranos, and dress with a lime vinaigrette and cilantro). It keeps 3 or 4 days in the fridge. When we first moved here in 2008 there was no sweet corn, just the starchy field corn. Those 3-packs of sweet corn now sold locally are surprisingly sweet. Fresh, too....I don't even cook them, remove from cob and throw into the salad.

Now that mango season is in full force, I will start making mango gazpacho again.

What are you making.....I can use a few more cold or grilled dish ideas. Gracias in advance!

BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days? Empty Re: What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Whole wheat tortillas warmed on the stove, spread lightly with cream cheese. Add delimeat slices (or leftover meat, cheese or tuna, or any protein of your choice). Top with pickles, sliced olives, or veggies of choice. If you like some kick, add Frank’s Hot Sauce to mayonnaise, mix and smear that on your tortilla or use as a dipping sauce. I roll mine up, fold up one end and eat from the other.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days? Empty Re: What Are You Cooking On These Warm Days?

Post by gringal Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:54 pm

In these temps., it's more pleasant to either warm things in the microwave or use a toaster oven, rather than crank up the big gas oven.
I've been making casseroles early in the day which provide several meals that do well being warmed in the microwave. On Saturdays, we get a chicken from David's on the Libramento and put the leftovers into large batches of thick soups.
We have also been buying some delicious prepared food from Martine at the Monday market. He's just inside the door on the left and his quiches and pot pies are the best! The chicken pot pies are stuffed with chicken as well as veggies. We're eating very well!! Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:13 pm

I get quiches from Oui Oui in Ajijic. Their 6" size is enough for two when supplemented with a salad. I reheat in my outdoor gas grill...on the bun warmer rack. Works like a charm!

Yes a weekly take-away or delivered chicken is a lifesaver. Similar to Lady Otter, we put leftovers into flour tortillas and make into grilled quesadillas. El Torito carries Oso brand flour tortillas, some are flavored, we like the romero ones. Best about Oso brand: they come with wax paper separators...I freeze the bag and pull out singles with no sticking!

Also put leftover chicken over pre-washed pre-sanitized bagged Caesar salad kits. EZ PZ.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Cold cantaloupe and serrano ham.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:35 am

I lived on a boat for many years. Part of the process of "learning the ropes" included mastering the manly art of sandwich-making during adverse weather, when cooking anything is impossible. Comes in handy....
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:49 am

Rosa Venus wrote:Cold cantaloupe and serrano ham.
Refreshing! Any place selling fresh sliced serrano? I've had mixed luck with the pre-packs.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nolajoe Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 am

Try Mi Ranchito Cremeria - 376 765 5108.

nolajoe

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:42 am

Tuna salad; egg salad; Greek salad; Singapore noodle salad; Caesar salad
I love salads!
Cottage cheese with pineapple or bananas or melon or blueberries or strawberries.
In a pinch, a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heem Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:55 am

Ferret, where do you get your cottage cheese?
TIA, Heem

Heem
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:17 pm

I buy LaLa cottage cheese in the refrigerated cooler opposite the deli counter in Walmart. Sometimes it can be found on either side. Sometimes they move it to the packaged meat cooler beside the bakery and sometimes they're totally out.
I'm sure it's available at Soriana or El Torito. Queso cottage (pronounced caught ahje) accent on the second syllable and I'm sure slaine39 will provide a better phonetic english pronunciation ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:15 pm

CAH tage….LOL

I prefer Lyncott which has the larger curds, and always available at Pancho´s in Riberas. They have 4% or lowfat 1%, but I always get the 4% as I have trouble maintaining my weight and it does taste better.
Dr C. Garcia is always ordering me to eat more "fat".   lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm

LOL! That sounds like a Bostonian pronunciation.
I'm not a fan of Lyncott but do try both brands and choose for yourself. And, yes, BOTH brands are better in their full fat glory. Somehow more satiating on the tongue.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:24 pm

ferret wrote:LOL!  That sounds like a Bostonian pronunciation.
I'm not a fan of Lyncott but do try both brands and choose for yourself. And, yes, BOTH brands are better in their full fat glory. Somehow more satiating on the tongue.

You are right about the taste. The difference between the curds drenched in cream or skim milk. The US Price brand is good too, probably owned by Lala, just like they own Borden´s and many other US dairy products providers.

Mexicans pronounce it that way, almost like the English speakers, but if you wanted to be a real Spanish purist it would go something like this…..koh.TAH.hay   lol!
In Mexico, the Chrysler product Dodge is pronounced Dahg, but in Colombia, they say Dode.hay

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heem Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:05 pm

I'm still learning the language. Now I will be able to screw up the pronunciation three ways. Thanks

Heem
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 pm

ROTFLMAO! Write it on a piece of paper and show them what you're looking for... that way you won't have to pronounce it. ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heem Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Nah, I have to try saying it. The only way to learn. I'm used to receiving blank stares or outright laughter when trying. Keeps me humble and continuing to learn.

Heem
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 pm

I hear ya! Good for you!
I couldn't remember the word for grapefruit in San Miguel. So I pretended to be a dictionary with words that I did know... fruta como una naranja... pero mas grande y amarilla. The young lady looked puzzled then the sunshine lit up her face... una toronja! Don't know who was more pleased... me for getting my word or her for putting the clues together. We had a great giggle together.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Heem wrote:I'm still learning the language. Now I will be able to screw up the pronunciation three ways. Thanks

Well I might as well really mess you up and instead of pronouncing it, do a translation and see where that gets you…….
"Queso de la casita"     lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Verrrrry confusing!
I bought two LaLa (red) in Walmart today. In the cooler in front of the deli counter but on the back side of it...
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DeborahM Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:52 am

I made a large batch of basil-pecan pesto yesterday. YUM! Here's the recipe I use:

3 Cups fresh basil leaves, washed and patted dry
1 1/2 Cups pecans, lightly roasted and cooled
8 cloves garlic, roasted and cooled
3/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash of pepper
1 Tbsp freshly grated lemon zest

After the pecans and garlic have cooled after roasting, combine everything in a blender and pulse till combined. Toss as is with a little al dente angel hair pasta. Keeps well in the fridge for a week, keeps well initially frozen in ice cube trays, then stored in a zip lock bag, for 3 months in the freezer.

Pesto is so versatile. Don't just use it for pasta! Mix a little pesto in with sour cream, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or even guacamole. You can also serve it over baked brie for a fancy appetizer your dinner guests will love.

Drizzle pesto over your favorite breakfast eggs to add a touch of herbs and cheese. Turn waffles or pancakes into savory breakfast fare by skipping the sugar and stirring some pesto into the batter instead.

Using pesto instead of tomato sauce adds an entirely different layer of flavor to homemade pizza. Remember that pesto is rich, so use it a bit more sparingly than you would the tomato sauce.

Mix pesto with mayonnaise or use as is on sandwich bread or flatbread. Make a pesto blend by mixing it with cream cheese and serving on toasted bagels.

Stir it into grain, rice, or chicken salads. Thinned with a little more oil or vinegar makes a quick vinaigrette for summer salads. Whisk into buttermilk for an Italian version of ranch dressing.

Put pesto on a baked potato.

YUM!

DeborahM

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 am

That's a keeper DeborahM. Thanks!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kamcd Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Deborah - Thanks for the lemon zest tip. My recipe is almost identical to yours except for that and I think it will kick the taste up a notch.

kamcd

Back to top Go down

Post by gobluejohn Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 pm

ordering in from fav resteruants sp, hardly cooking at all
gobluejohn
gobluejohn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down