INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New fish store - run, don't walk!

+7
David
gringal
johninajijic
hockables
ferret
CanuckBob
simpsca
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New fish store - run, don't walk! - Page 2 Empty Re: New fish store - run, don't walk!

Post by johninajijic Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 am

oncesubtle - Yes John and here's why: Let's say two commercial fishing boats go out snapper fishing, one from Manzanillo and one from Boston. Both boats travel 1 day to the fishing grounds, fish for a day then travel back to unload. Both fish have been packed in ice since they were caught and they are sent to market. Then the fish are bought, prepared and consumed the next day. The only difference is one fish is Mexican. Same thing goes for carrots but that's another subject.[/quote]

Correct on the first part, but fish caught on the Northeast coast is better because it's cold water vs, the warm Pacific coast. And there is no Cod, Haddock or Pollock here as well as clam beds. There is REAL Lobster on the Northeast coast, but not here unless it's imported.

johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New fish store - run, don't walk! - Page 2 Empty Re: New fish store - run, don't walk!

Post by David Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:39 am

johninajijic wrote:oncesubtle - Yes John and here's why: Let's say two commercial fishing boats go out snapper fishing, one from Manzanillo and one from Boston. Both boats travel 1 day to the fishing grounds, fish for a day then travel back to unload. Both fish have been packed in ice since they were caught and they are sent to market. Then the fish are bought, prepared and consumed the next day. The only difference is one fish is Mexican. Same thing goes for carrots but that's another subject.

Correct on the first part, but fish caught on the Northeast coast is better because it's cold water vs, the warm Pacific coast. And there is no Cod, Haddock or Pollock here as well as clam beds. There is REAL Lobster on the Northeast coast, but not here unless it's imported.[/quote]

True for the Mexican coast. However, check the temps, the northern US Pacific is colder than the norther US Atlantic. Furthermore the US west coast has lots of clams, several varities of oysters, several varieties of cod, wild salmon, several varieties of tuna, and halibut.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

I hate to interrupt a developing pizzing contest, but may I suggest we talk about the fish we can actually get our hands on; far, far from any of the coasts being compared? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 am

[quote="johninajijic"
Correct on the first part, but fish caught on the Northeast coast is better because it's cold water vs, the warm Pacific coast. And there is no Cod, Haddock or Pollock here as well as clam beds. There is REAL Lobster on the Northeast coast, but not here unless it's imported.[/quote]

So you're saying cold water fish are better than warm water fish to which I disagree because cold water fish have white flesh and that tends to be more bland compared to warm water or game fish like tuna, dorado (mahi-mahi) marlin, the other bill fish along with a lip-smackin' multitude of others not found in cold water. As to white fleshed fish in Mexico the halibut, snapper and other bottom fish really are hard to beat. I'll give you the lobster but the carrib variety mentioned by others are to die for. And while we're at it you say there are no clam beds on the Mexican west coast? Well, it just so happens the Mexican chocolate clams (so named for the color of their shells) are now in season and I will stack them up with any clam anywhere and they are so affordable here it's laughable. You may also be interested to know that there are a huge variety of clam beds with billions of clams farmed annually from Tijuana to Tapachula. Of course they are Mexican clams which I know you won't try for that reason alone but once, just once, try one. Oh, and if you live and are feeling sporty, try a lingcod, it's blue meat turns white when you cook it and tastes like lobster. I know you'll hate it but please humor me, once.

O.k gringal, thanks for the indulgence, I'm done wizzin'.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:09 am

gringal wrote:I hate to interrupt a developing pizzing contest, but may I suggest we talk about the fish we can actually get our hands on; far, far from any of the coasts being compared? Rolling Eyes
Well we're only 4 hours from the Pacific coast and the fish you buy in market here, if handled properly, are as fresh as anywhere in the world. When buying fish in the round there are several things to check. I go for the eyes first, want to see them nice and round, clear pupil and no clouding. Lift the gill plates and look for their color to be blood red. Check the fishes fins and body for damage due to rough handling. Smell, and poke the body to ensure it is firm. When you find the right fish have the guys clean, scale and remove the head if you wish. I'm sure there are others who can add tips to getting the freshest fish possible and at the best price, these are just mi centavos.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:26 am

If water temps are the criteria, how about these figures current as of a few minutes ago provided by NOAA:

Boston Buoy: 65.1 degrees F
Seattle Buoy: 54.3 degrees F

Kind of blows a hole in that theory!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:22 pm

oncesubtle wrote:[quote="johninajijic"
Correct on the first part, but fish caught on the Northeast coast is better because it's cold water vs, the warm Pacific coast. And there is no Cod, Haddock or Pollock here as well as clam beds. There is REAL Lobster on the Northeast coast, but not here unless it's imported.

So you're saying cold water fish are better than warm water fish to which I disagree because cold water fish have white flesh and that tends to be more bland compared to warm water or game fish like tuna, dorado (mahi-mahi) marlin, the other bill fish along with a lip-smackin' multitude of others not found in cold water. quote]

Salmon are cold water fish and not white. So is halibut. I've not ever seen fresh halibut here. Do you know where to find it? The Pacific NW is where good halibut and salmon come from. Also lots of albacore and yellowtail tuna in the "cold" north Pacific.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Having spent considerable time after sport fish on the Pacific Coast of Jalisco I can only say that for the most part, bill fish are not what I would consider edible (yaeh, I know, people do eat the stuff) with the exception of smoked marlin. And dorado (mahi-mahi) is way overrated.

The yellowfin tuna when very fresh and properly prepared is outstanding. IMO robalo (snook) or lora (parrot fish), both white fleshed, are at the top of the list along with the different groupers and snapper (pargos, huachinango) that are commonly found. There is another less commonly found fish known around the B. de Navidad area as lija that is white fleshed and very flavorful. And in around river mouths you'll find lisa (mullet) which are also very tasty but very bony. And sometimes you'll encounter medio pez or lenguado (flounder). After those come the mackerels, (sierra and wahoo), are some of the best for smoked fish.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm

David wrote: Salmon are cold water fish and not white. So is halibut. I've not ever seen fresh halibut here. Do you know where to find it? The Pacific NW is where good halibut and salmon come from. Also lots of albacore and yellowtail tuna in the "cold" north Pacific.

I've seen halibut a few times but didn't buy them as there were a little mushy to the touch. If you ask a fish monger they will pick one up and bring it to their store, usually the next day (depending on the season).

As to gringal's question on what fish we can buy here personally I prefer the snapper, huachinango and pargo. The tunas, dorado and most others in the round usually look a little beat. Oh, and the chocolate clams are great fresh or frozen and they are cheap.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 am

I doubt there's any halibut here because it's a cold water fish and not caught off the Mexican coast. It it's here, it came here frozen from elsewhere. No cod. haddock or flounder from Mexican coast either.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 am

johninajijic wrote:I doubt there's any halibut here because it's a cold water fish and not caught off the Mexican coast. It it's here, it came here frozen from elsewhere. No cod. haddock or flounder from Mexican coast either.
Well doubt no longer John: Dead Horse

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-reports-discussion/96800-halibut-baja-mexico.html

And there are more than a few types of flounder and cod that thrive in Mexican waters and can be found in most fish markets.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:32 pm

[quote="David"] I've not ever seen fresh halibut here. Do you know where to find it? quote]

Good news David, today the new fish store had freshest halibut in the round I've seen in Mexico in years for 75 pesos a kilo and the jefe said they would have more tomorrow. New fish store - run, don't walk! - Page 2 Halibu28

Last edited by oncesubtle on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Bueno! Gracias.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2