INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New fish store - run, don't walk!

+7
David
gringal
johninajijic
hockables
ferret
CanuckBob
simpsca
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New fish store - run, don't walk! Empty New fish store - run, don't walk!

Post by simpsca Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:27 pm

I went to the new fish store today and WOW! It's in the Rancho del Oro plaza where La Taverna and Tapicolor is located in West Ajijic. It's the last building in the east end of the plaza. The store is new and spotless - everything very iced. They have more types of crayfish and scampi that I have ever seen in one place. Lobster and lobster tail of every size imaginable. They had fresh scallops - the BIG ones at 130 pesos per kilo.

They are open every day from 8am to 4pm - the original store is from Zapopan.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

New fish store - run, don't walk! Empty Re: New fish store - run, don't walk!

Post by CanuckBob Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:44 pm

What were the prices like?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Large sea scallops 130 pesos per kilo - they were 350 pesos for a small bag in the freezer at Superlake last time I saw them.

I bought 1/2 kilo of scallops, 1/2 kilo of med. large shrimp and one red snapper fillet for 153 pesos.

I didn't ask about the lobster, may do that another day. Love lobster. First rate operation.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 pm

WOW! That's a great price for what you got Caroline. That's even cheaper than the coast.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be heading out that way soon.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Very Happy
simpsca wrote:Large sea scallops 130 pesos per kilo - they were 350 pesos for a small bag in the freezer at Superlake last time I saw them.

I bought 1/2 kilo of scallops, 1/2 kilo of med. large shrimp and one red snapper fillet for 153 pesos.

I didn't ask about the lobster, may do that another day. Love lobster. First rate operation.
Very Happy

Very Happy hmmm... what's for supper? Very Happy
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 pm

simpsca wrote:I went to the new fish store today and WOW! It's in the Rancho del Oro plaza where La Taverna and Tapicolor is located in West Ajijic. It's the last building in the east end of the plaza. The store is new and spotless - everything very iced. They have more types of crayfish and scampi that I have ever seen in one place. Lobster and lobster tail of every size imaginable. They had fresh scallops - the BIG ones at 130 pesos per kilo.

They are open every day from 8am to 4pm - the original store is from Zapopan.

They are in the La Huerta Plaza NOT the Rancho del Oro Plaza. The Rancho del Oro Plaza is across the Carretera and contains Tabarka, Giovanni's and Sol y Luna.

Thanks for the repeat post. Mine is below in capital letters. They are open everyday until 4:30 PM not 4:00 PM.

We bought frozen fresh shrimp at 170 pesos per kilo and split them up 6 per ziplock bag and got 32 shrimp. We had them, 3 each, next night as Baked Stuffed Shrimp. mmmmmm.........
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Sorry, but this is going to be a negative one. I was all ready to add praises, BUT:.

We went there to check the place out today, with the high hopes common to seafood lovers.
Alas, the smell nearly knocked me over. Not a good sign.

I think they may have bitten off more than they can handle, as in: HUGE inventory, suitable for a busy location in a good sized city. The turnover is probably not going to be enough,......but I wish them the best anyway.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 pm

gringal - We were there Saturday and the week before. Absolutely NO FISH SMELL whatsoever and I have the most sensitive nose of anyone I know.

If you want fish smell walk by La Playa near Super Lake. The smell from La Playa comes into the open windows at the back of Super Lake. Definitely NOT fresh fish and overpriced too with no selection. Most of the people at Lakeside wouldn't know fresh seafood if they fell over it. Come to Boston and I'll show you fresh fish as it's offloaded from boats daily.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:24 pm

John........that was Saturday and this is Tuesday. My nose knows. It smelled, as does the fish store near SuperLake. I suspect that the Saturday fish was still resting in peace on the ice today.
Plus, they had fans going.

Since we're talking experience here........I came here from the Monterey Bay area in CA where the fish market was right next to the boat dock. Good enough for ya?
😕

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm

And don't you think that the fish and seafood comes in fresh on the Fish Pier in Boston daily where you can watch it being off loaded or anywhere on the Northeast coast. Every restaurant in Boston and suburbs gets fresh seafood. Ever hear of Jimmy's Harborside, No Name restaurant, both on the fish pier or the famous Ye Olde Union Oyster House.

I lnow Cali has fresh fish/seafood too.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Cali? Yes, I've eaten at some of those John but East Coast seafood doesn't hold a candle to West Coast, except for Maine Lobster that is.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:44 pm

John:

What is it like living with such a narrow view and narrow base of knowledge?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:09 pm

David wrote:Cali? Yes, I've eaten at some of those John but East Coast seafood doesn't hold a candle to West Coast, except for Maine Lobster that is.

I grew up on the west coast and east coast seafood kicks its butt. Except for dungeness crab. The Oregon coast in particular sucks when it comes to seafood preparation.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

johninajijic wrote:And don't you think that the fish and seafood comes in fresh on the Fish Pier in Boston daily where you can watch it being off loaded or anywhere on the Northeast coast. Every restaurant in Boston and suburbs gets fresh seafood. Ever hear of Jimmy's Harborside, No Name restaurant, both on the fish pier or the famous Ye Olde Union Oyster House.

I lnow Cali has fresh fish/seafood too.
Uh John, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the commercial fishing boats you saw being unloaded daily, with few exceptions, had been out for days or weeks at a time and the long range tuna boats for a month or longer. I worked on a commercial rock cod boat and a short range tuna boat out of San Diego and we were never out for less that 5 days. When you consider boat costs and fuel etc., the owners and captains were loathe to come in with less that a full hold. So the fresh fish you saw being unloaded had probably been on ice or frozen for a week or more.

The lobster for sale is 500 pesos per kilo, Pacific spiny, tasty but not in a league with east coast lobster.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 pm

I always thought that east coast lobster raised in cold water was the best until I tried Cuban lobster. Unbelievably good and I'm still dreamin' about it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Solovino wrote:
David wrote:Cali? Yes, I've eaten at some of those John but East Coast seafood doesn't hold a candle to West Coast, except for Maine Lobster that is.

I grew up on the west coast and east coast seafood kicks its butt. Except for dungeness crab. The Oregon coast in particular sucks when it comes to seafood preparation.

You know nothing of Oregon. Or, maybe you did many year's ago. When's the last time you were there?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 pm

David wrote:
Solovino wrote:

You know nothing of Oregon. Or, maybe you did many year's ago. When's the last time you were there?

Bugger off.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 pm

David - What is your basis for the statement of East Coast seafood vs. West Coast?

Do any of you posting here think that seafood sold at Lakeside or at the Mercado del Mar in Zapopan can hold a candle to US seafood?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:49 pm

You know, I’ve always considered myself a “foodie” however the only thing that made this a worthwhile endeavor are the friends that will sit around our table and laugh, fill their stomachs and mind at the same time, whether it be meatloaf or lobster. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 pm

ferret wrote:I always thought that east coast lobster raised in cold water was the best until I tried Cuban lobster. Unbelievably good and I'm still dreamin' about it.

OMG you just reminded me of a trip I make to Puerto Rico years ago. Had the best lobstertail in my life up in the rain forest. It was as tender as butter and the flavor indescribable. I've gone to Maine for lobster and thought they were the best until the one in Puerto Rico.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:06 am

johninajijic wrote:

David - What is your basis for the statement of East Coast seafood vs. West Coast?

My personal experience.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:36 am

johninajijic wrote:

Do any of you posting here think that seafood sold at Lakeside or at the Mercado del Mar in Zapopan can hold a candle to US seafood?
Yes John and here's why: Let's say two commercial fishing boats go out snapper fishing, one from Manzanillo and one from Boston. Both boats travel 1 day to the fishing grounds, fish for a day then travel back to unload. Both fish have been packed in ice since they were caught and they are sent to market. Then the fish are bought, prepared and consumed the next day. The only difference is one fish is Mexican. Same thing goes for carrots but that's another subject.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 am

Consider that this controversy was started by a self proclaimed "Italian food expert", who had the opportunity to experience actual Italian food when his cruise ship docked in Italy but chose not to do so! I would venture a guess that David and Oncesubtle both have more diverse experiences with seafood than someone who only knows Boston and Ajijic?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 am

Solovino wrote:
David wrote:
Solovino wrote:

Bugger off.

Igualmente.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 am

oncesubtle - Yes John and here's why: Let's say two commercial fishing boats go out snapper fishing, one from Manzanillo and one from Boston. Both boats travel 1 day to the fishing grounds, fish for a day then travel back to unload. Both fish have been packed in ice since they were caught and they are sent to market. Then the fish are bought, prepared and consumed the next day. The only difference is one fish is Mexican. Same thing goes for carrots but that's another subject.[/quote]

Correct on the first part, but fish caught on the Northeast coast is better because it's cold water vs, the warm Pacific coast. And there is no Cod, Haddock or Pollock here as well as clam beds. There is REAL Lobster on the Northeast coast, but not here unless it's imported.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next