INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside?

+9
brigitte
CHILLIN
ComputerGuy
CanuckBob
gringal
Carry Bean
slainte39
Bubba2shoes
JayBear
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside? - Page 2 Empty Re: New Indian restaurant at Lakeside?

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 am

I got a response from Indian Accent. Definitely in Riberas. Dinner "events" at her house. Up to 8 people. Next is November 10. $350. BYOB. No address provided.

ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside? - Page 2 Empty Re: New Indian restaurant at Lakeside?

Post by CHILLIN Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:55 am

I sure hope you will be our test subject on this one Mike! I have a whole cupboard full of Indian spices, pulses and grains. I am alright on this front on Indian food. If you need a pinch of devil's dung or black cardomen - I.got it. In Canada, the Punjabi takeaway restaurants would sell what where essentially sauces. Butter chicken was low in actual chicken, but there was lots of room for more chicken, potatoes, squash, whatever you fancy. This style became known as British Indian takeaway style. The kitchen would cook up 3 or 4 curry gravies for the base all week. This the style of the Indian takeaway at Centro Laguna. All the offerings have a sameness in flavor, the only difference is the often bland pressure cooked meats or vegetables added.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I am actually not a fan of that kind of dining (someone's house, not Indian in general).
I have collected just a very few Indian spices, after experimenting with different brands and types: garam masala, a mild yellow curry powder, and a sweet paprika (soon to be followed by a smoky version).
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:17 pm

I was notified just now that the next dining experience will be Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 3:30 PM.
Muslim and Sikh food.
Facebook for those who can. I do not know where the place is. Contact them.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1435574046566954/
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Indian restaurant at Lakeside? - Page 2 Empty Oh how I want an Indian restaurant!

Post by taranderson@gmail.com Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:37 pm

My wife and I are considering buying property in Chapala, and just yesterday I was thinking about how much I will miss Indian food if we move to Chapala.

taranderson@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 pm

There is a place at the Laguna mall that specializes in Indian food. They have a steam table with 8 kinds of dishes, plus naan and extras. AND they will cook you whatever you want, if given a heads up. No, the steam table is not exciting, and it has been dumbed down for expats with sensitive tongues and tummies, but it is good. And at 79 pesos for a tray of say, butter chicken with rice or curried (fill in blank) and extras, quite a deal.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 am

garam masala is not a spice but a miture of spices you can make athome with the local spices here.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am

Okay, go that route. But a mix of spices to create a new thing is still a spice, as far as I'm concerned.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:25 pm

yes but you canot always find garam masala and always can make it..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Cumin, coriander, cardomum, cinammon, cloves, nutmeg. My suspicion is that many people don't have a bunch of these lying around, therefore the premade.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am

Try to get the premade in some areas of Mexico... I have to make my own when in Chiapas and it is no big deal .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:01 am

Definitely can be a problem. But with SuperLake here, they always seem to have it. I've also started ordering more stuff like it on Amazon. For instance, the curry powder my Mom used to use... I discovered when making her recipe, it was awful. So I researched and got some very nice curry online, as well as things like Hy's seasoning (which is another "spice" made of many spice ingredients, and of course there are recipes online for it).

But you can get coriander and cumin and cardomum where you are? Interesting.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am

We usually get our India spices by mail, to iShop Laredo drop. They have a huge store in Houston and excellent quality.
http://www.ranisworldfoods.com/content/Ranis_World_Foods_Houston/Home.html
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Interesting. I checked your link and found the same Rami curry powder for $7.99, that I paid $14.99 on Amazon US. But it was another $8.98 for slow delivery (to an address in Texas.$23.75 to ship to iShop). So the jury is out. Maybe the shipping price gets better if you order a bunch of stuff, but I rarely do. A very good link to have, though, and thank you.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 pm

As I cancelled my order for ranisworldfoods.com (I had placed an item to see the shipping), the page redirected me to an ad: "Free shipping on orders over $55; $7.99 flat rate on orders over $25". That would work.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Why don't you guys ask Raj at Indian Curry to mix up some spices for you.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks, but don't need to. Have everything I need already. I cancelled my order from that Website because I didn't really want to buy anything... I just couldn't get a delivery price without putting something in my cart.
Poor Raj; business is terrible.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 pm

He's been saying that for years yet they're still there. The food . . .

I have garam masala, premix, but I'm going to ask him to mix up a few spices for me. Curry.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm

I notice a lot of my India spices are on the dark dank side. Astiafeta (devils dung), black cardamon (more resiny than green), black salt (smells like boiled eggs, but delicious), black lentils/dhal, black lime, (fermented and dried in the sun), Malabar black pepper, Ajwain, rolled puff rice, fenugreek leaves.
There is another premade curry that I sometimes like from Superlake, Pancho, etc. S&B brand, Golden Curry, made in Japan. This is type of curry added to Asian dishes. It is mild with a strong fenugreek zing
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 pm

I have no problem getting coriander seeeds cardomum or cumin down south so I make the garam masala which is not available.. We do not have Supelake but I can order via internet if I really need something I cannot make so no problem and if it is a problem I just do not make it.. .. The poblem with these spices is that they go stale if you do not use them often so it is just as easy to rast a few spices and make them fresh as you need them or make small quantities.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 am

CHILLIN wrote:I notice a lot of my India spices are on the dark dank side. Astiafeta (devils dung), black cardamon (more resiny than green), black salt (smells like boiled eggs, but delicious), black lentils/dhal, black lime, (fermented and dried in the sun), Malabar black pepper, Ajwain, rolled puff rice, fenugreek leaves.
There is another premade curry that I sometimes like from Superlake, Pancho, etc. S&B brand, Golden Curry, made in Japan. This is type of curry added to Asian dishes. It is mild with a strong fenugreek zing
That's ironic. S&B is the one my Mom used all those years, which completely turned me off curry. I made my first curry with her recipe after she died; it was the one she used my whole life. I bought another brand, and realized what had happened.

And brigitte, you are right, everything goes stale quickly, so making a batch for me seems not worth the effort when I can buy it premade fairly inexpensively. I can count on one hand the number of times a year I actually use it.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Maybe you don't like fenugreek. That is the main source of the " curry" smell. I love the fresh bundles they sell in Vancouver, India, etc. It is called mehti. Fry to light golden some small potatoes in butter or ghee, then toss in the fresh herbs until they wilt. I should try to see if it can been grown from the seeds I have.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Well, research tells me that fenugreek is in most curry, so good guess but I don't think that is it. I've used the same recipe with several different brands and types of curry powder since, and they are all perfectly enticing. But my tongue may just be reacting to some ingredient that tastes wrong to me. And it's been a while now, but I seem to recall that the sauce had a grittiness to it, as well.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:08 pm

Have any of you seen curry leaves around here?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 pm

No, I have been trying to import seeds for years. They have to be fresh.
There was a grower who had a bush in Puerto Vallarta, but he seems to have fallen off the grid, and you need a serious 4x4 to get to his farm.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 pm

I am obviously not a connoisseur because I just like what I like. Been buying the no name brand of both curry and chili from Loblaws stores forever. Each package contains between 125 grams and 150 grams. Lasts me about two years and is still flavourful and aromatic right to the end. I seal after using then put it in another sealed ziplock and store in the dark in a drawer. All my spices are kept in a drawer in the dark.

The curry powder contains coriander, turmeric, celery seed, fenugreek, black pepper, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, chili powder, bay leaves, onion powder and cloves.
The chili powder contains chili pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, oregano, dehydrated garlic and cloves.
Works for me.
Two Canadian bucks a package.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next