INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Morelia Visit

Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Morelia Visit

Post by CanuckBob on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Here is some pics of my trip to Morelia. What a beautiful town. The historic section is very European looking. It is also one of the cleanest cities I have ever seen. There wasn't one scrap of litter anywhere. Definatley worth visiting.

Morelia Visit CIMG5489
Morelia Visit CIMG5504
Morelia Visit CIMG5517
Morelia Visit CIMG5520
Morelia Visit CIMG5516
Morelia Visit CIMG5480

Cheers,

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 16412
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 56
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by kipissippi on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Nice shots Bob...did you have a chance to go to Uruapan?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2010-04-04
Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by CanuckBob on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 am

No, however we may have driven through it.

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 16412
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 56
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by kipissippi on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 am

Probably not..it's toward the coast and huge. You'd definitely remember it if you'd been there. It's the avocado capital and has an incredible park in it with lots of water falls and a fish hatchery. The restaurant that's right there serves the best trout I've ever had. And WONDERFUL liquors not far from the main gate. The drive to Uruapan is gorgeous. If I spoke Spanish that area would probably be my first choice. Here's a video of the park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRmqnAzW7g

Kip
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2010-04-04
Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by CanuckBob on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Very nice. Your right I would have remembered this place and we didn't go near the coast on that road trip. Have to catch it next time.

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 16412
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 56
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by Peter on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Nice photos, Bob. Glad you enjoyed Morelia. I will add that it is a great place to live with many cultural events and festivals occurring regularly. I have been living in the Centro with many of those places in your photos just outside my door, or a very short walk.

My vehicle seldom gets used around town. There are a number of attractions close by, notably those artisan villages around Lago de Pátzcuaro, so my car actually does get some use.

Uruapan is about 1½ hour drive and that national park with the waterfalls is just about in middle of town. My place for trout, however, is a little german restaurant, Campestre Alemán, in Arócutin near Erongaricuaro on the backside of Lago Pátzcuaro from the town of Pátzcuaro. Trout is the house specialty, one of them, but many go there for their German sausages. It is a beautiful setting for a restaurant and is one of our most favorite afternoon outings. Very scenic and tranquil. The sign says they are open 364 days a year 12:30-7pm. Not sure which day they are closed.

Peter
Peter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 130
Join date : 2010-11-29
Age : 66
Location : Morelia, Michoacán
Humor : Ironic

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by hound dog on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:08 pm

kipissippi wrote:Probably not..it's toward the coast and huge. You'd definitely remember it if you'd been there. It's the avocado capital and has an incredible park in it with lots of water falls and a fish hatchery. The restaurant that's right there serves the best trout I've ever had. And WONDERFUL liquors not far from the main gate. The drive to Uruapan is gorgeous. If I spoke Spanish that area would probably be my first choice. Here's a video of the park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRmqnAzW7g

Kip

Uruapan is the hidden jewel of Michoacan. More impressive in Dawg´s mind than ponderous Morelia but a splendid high (4,000 feet more or less) valley endlessly verdant and bordered by Lake Pátzcuaro on the east and a marvelous desert on the southwest. What a great and undiscovered semi-tropical urban zone with the absolutely appropriate tropical decadence and fantastic greenery. Nothing like the scaggly and unkempt Lake Chapala region only four hours drive to the west characterized by forlorn scrubbrush and empty, discarded plastic Pepsi Cola bottles scattered everywhere and never collected for the trash heap. Also nothing like the strutting lady-in-waiting that is Morelia with its exaggerated pretentions; left behind by other metropolises with actual purposes in life while that dowdy blue hair waits for those to come courting who will never come, sitting there with its symphony orchestra like Cedar Rapids waiting in the living room dressed to the nines for the date that never shows up.

I think if I had known about Uruapan when we moved here, that would have been on my short list.


Last edited by hound dog on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Posts : 2067
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by hound dog on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Peter wrote:Nice photos, Bob. Glad you enjoyed Morelia. I will add that it is a great place to live with many cultural events and festivals occurring regularly. I have been living in the Centro with many of those places in your photos just outside my door, or a very short walk.

My vehicle seldom gets used around town. There are a number of attractions close by, notably those artisan villages around Lago de Pátzcuaro, so my car actually does get some use.

Uruapan is about 1½ hour drive and that national park with the waterfalls is just about in middle of town. My place for trout, however, is a little german restaurant, Campestre Alemán, in Arócutin near Erongaricuaro on the backside of Lago Pátzcuaro from the town of Pátzcuaro. Trout is the house specialty, one of them, but many go there for their German sausages. It is a beautiful setting for a restaurant and is one of our most favorite afternoon outings. Very scenic and tranquil. The sign says they are open 364 days a year 12:30-7pm. Not sure which day they are closed.


Well said Peter and now I feel sorry for making fun of Morelia which is, in its center, at least, a fine example of colonial architecture. Actually, a very fine example and an entertaining place. Sorry about that Cedar Rapids comment which was unfair to put it mildly. We are also fond of Campestre Alemán near Pátzcuaro. We have only eaten there once but we had great trout grilled simply with butter and accompanied by some fine German beer. Superb.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Posts : 2067
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by Intercasa on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd also recommend going to Lake Zirahuen, there are quads, zip lines and boat rides and it isn't too far from Patzcuaro on the way to Uruapan.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2892
Join date : 2010-04-05
Age : 49
Location : Chapala / Zapopan
Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by Peter on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Intercasa wrote:I'd also recommend going to Lake Zirahuen, there are quads, zip lines and boat rides and it isn't too far from Patzcuaro on the way to Uruapan.

Zirahuen is also the backdoor entrance into Santa Clara del Cobre, the copper-work town. Zirahuen is also the deepest lake in Mexico. I didn't know about some of the other attractions there, I usually just stop there for cervesa or comida.

A lot of nifty little artisan villages all over the area with Pátzcuaro right about in the middle. I believe it to be one of the most interesting areas of Mexico.
Peter
Peter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 130
Join date : 2010-11-29
Age : 66
Location : Morelia, Michoacán
Humor : Ironic

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by raqueteer on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:23 am

Peter wrote:Nice photos, Bob. Glad you enjoyed Morelia. I will add that it is a great place to live with many cultural events and festivals occurring regularly. I have been living in the Centro with many of those places in your photos just outside my door, or a very short walk.

My vehicle seldom gets used around town. There are a number of attractions close by, notably those artisan villages around Lago de Pátzcuaro, so my car actually does get some use.

Uruapan is about 1½ hour drive and that national park with the waterfalls is just about in middle of town. My place for trout, however, is a little german restaurant, Campestre Alemán, in Arócutin near Erongaricuaro on the backside of Lago Pátzcuaro from the town of Pátzcuaro. Trout is the house specialty, one of them, but many go there for their German sausages. It is a beautiful setting for a restaurant and is one of our most favorite afternoon outings. Very scenic and tranquil. The sign says they are open 364 days a year 12:30-7pm. Not sure which day they are closed.



Peter, can you give us some idea of what living in Morelia is like. We are thinking of moving there. We both love the city and have visited a number of times.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1177
Join date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by raqueteer on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Never mind the request Peter, I have found your new forum, and joined so I can ask questions. See you there as soon as I'm activated

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1177
Join date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Morelia Visit Empty Re: Morelia Visit

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum