INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible strike at WalMart

+8
kiko
MexicoPete
ltollefs
rvanparys
brigitte
caligirl108
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
12 posters

Go down

Possible strike at WalMart Empty Possible strike at WalMart

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/8500-walmart-employees-threaten-to-strike/?utm_source=Mexico+News+Today&utm_campaign=87266a6d23-MNT+mar08-2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f1536a3787-87266a6d23-349534941

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Possible strike at WalMart Empty Re: Possible strike at WalMart

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Good for them. Power to the people. Hope they get what they want.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Considering WalMart charges the same prices as they do in the US and probably have a fraction of the overhead costs they should triple the wages.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 pm

The Walmart employees in the U.S. have been reported to be a welfare burden to state food stamp, Medicaid programs.  A terrible company, which I boycotted in U.S., but relented here, due to location.  Back to boycotting, tho - support of local Mexican enterprenuers at open markets, tues market, Superlake, Pancho's. Vote w your peso..

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 am

The possible strike is in the US or Mexico?.. If it is in Mexico I will not cross the line but otherwise forget it.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am

Wally world probably needs to fire 1/2 the people and pay on performance... Customers and workers both win...

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 pm

...well, half the workers. The other half? Fuck'em, right?
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Wally Mart apparently does not pay it's workers very much here in Mexico, at least that is the talk on the street.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 pm

A couple of years ago I was at a wal mart in Texas around Thanksgiving. Out front there were two collection bins for canned goods and food products for the needy. I asked my cashier friend why two, and she said one was for the wal mart employees. A few days later, the second collection bin for the wal mart emploees was gone. Mgt did not like the adverse publicity. A benevolent caring company.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Wally Mart apparently does not pay it's workers very much here in Mexico, at least that is the talk on the street.

A few years ago my bilingual buddy applied for a job with wal mart in Ajijic. He had been a district manager for a large grocery chain in Calif for 17 years. Wal mart offered him a full time position at 600 pesos a week.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Wally Mart apparently does not pay it's workers very much here in Mexico, at least that is the talk on the street.

I wish the "talk on the street" would be more specific. I wish people would quote chapter and verse on what the hiring terms are

The Wallymart subject touches a raw nerve with many folks. I wonder if those folks have checked their investment portfolio???........... But that is part of Wallymarts business model.

So what about Sorrina, or Sanbourn's etc etc , are they lily white???

What is this expression of "hate" about anything "American"...is it sickness or a virus that is going around Lakeside???....

But there other instances around whereby the employees maybe getting "screwed". For example many of the employees in the light industries in Guadalajara Silicon Valley are hired "on contract", and with minimal wages and benefits and can be let go without compensation etc.

In many ways the MX labor laws are not Employer friendly and down right hinder or discourage foreign investment....... and if strictly enforced the MX company's would not be competitive..much like the automobile industry..the recently renegotiated NAFFTA treaty required that a increased a certain percentage of the workers must have a higher minimum wage

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 pm

This Walmart hate is interesting to me.. Somehow many Americans hate the company.. what I do not get s why so people go shopping there.. I do not care one way or the other, but if I did I would not go shopping there and move one.. Mexico's laws are different from the laws in the US so I sure would not assume that the Walmart here is treating their employees the same as Walmart USA. Giving a salary means nothing unless you compare it to a Soriana , Chedraui etc.. you may be surprise to learn that they are all similar... I do not know that but I would not assume one place is worse than the other without having the facts.
I vaguely remember telling me that her sister in law worked there and that the pay was low but that she was given food.. that was a very long while ago so I do not know f it is still correct but the woman liked the perk and that is why she worked there.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Itollefs: A rather childish comment... People who work and excel should be compensated... Those who don't should find another profession...

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 pm

rvanparys wrote:Itollefs: A rather childish comment... People who work and excel should be compensated... Those who don't should find another profession...

Think that one through before suggesting that a Mexican worker has the choice you suggest. They don't.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm

people with very little education do not have many choices anywhere in the world..and sometimes people with education do not have a many choices either..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:56 am

Large and sometimes even medium sized companies all over the World care about one thing the most: THE BOTTOM LINE. PROFIT.

Everything else is rhetoric.

Workers strikes in any country, for most medium-large businesses, are the only way to get more pay and better conditions.

The question here is how long can "Jose and Maria" (fictitious names for average Mexican workers) afford to be without the meger pay they get. And I'm sure there will be hundreds of scans in line to take their positions, and the company will put guards outside to protect the scabs and "Jose and Maria" will not have any jobs.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 pm

brigitte wrote:This Walmart hate is interesting to me.. Somehow many Americans hate the company.. what I do not get s why so people go shopping there.. I do not care one way or the other, but if I did I would not go shopping there and move one..  Mexico's laws are different from the laws in the US so I sure would not assume that the Walmart here is treating their employees the same as Walmart USA. Giving a salary means nothing unless you compare it to a Soriana , Chedraui etc.. you may be surprise to learn that they are all similar... I do not know that but I would not assume one place is worse than the other without having the facts.
I vaguely remember telling me that her sister in law worked there and that the pay was low but that she was given food.. that was a very long while ago so I do not know f it is still correct but the woman liked the perk and that is why she worked there.

I talked to an ex Walmart employee today and incorrectly assuming that Walmart paid less than Soriana etc, I asked him if that was so; so that I could correct what everyone was saying.

I was wrong. He said that the pay at Soriana etc was no better than at Walmart.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks Pete for settling that one o we can all forget about shopping at Soriana and Walmart now.. Now could you find out if the little stores pay more than Walmart and Soriana.. That will set everyone straight and for all and we can all go to the next subject.. Beer

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:59 am

I don't shop at WalMart because most if not all the products they sell are made expressly for WalMart and according to many vendors NOB, quality control goes out the window. Make it look the same - make it cheaper - make more profit. Yes it is closer to my house, no I don't shop there.

If I want quality on a larger item I shop at Costco. Their employees are smiling, they have name-tags with the number of years they have worked for Costco and the pride shows.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down