INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico

+2
gringal
CanuckBob
6 posters

Go down

Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico Empty Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:36 am

Informative article for wannabes and newbies. Seems right on the mark from my experiences.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/bodie-kellogg/hidden-dangers-for-mexico-expats/

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico Empty Re: Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico

Post by gringal Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:48 am

CanuckBob wrote:Informative article for wannabes and newbies. Seems right on the mark from my experiences.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/bodie-kellogg/hidden-dangers-for-mexico-expats/

Perfect advice for newbies! Also, hilarious. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico Empty Re: Hidden dangers for expats in Mexico

Post by ferret Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:04 am

Great read CBob! Still chuckling.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:08 am

Problem is, newbies don't listen - unless it coincides with, and is confirmed by, something said on one of their "Gringos" Facebook sites. Yawn. They get what they deserve and it's pretty funny.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 am

So much is very right-on-spot.

Notice the read talks about getting gringo priced and that there are good and bad workers and professionals.

A few years ago I became the bad guy when I pointed out short-weighting at a popular expat supermarket. I sometimes posted gripes about prices being higher at checkout than posted on shelves, etc.

Another point not raised is that in some areas, we, and not just expats, are at the mercy of the sellers.I'm seeing gasoline prices going up almost weekly by a few centavos, which turn into pesos. Same for L.P. Try to live w/o L.P.

I hav been here over 14-years. Bought a house on Day Three of a one week, on-the-spur-of-the-moment trip. I'm an impule buyer. I have never regretted the move for one microsecond.

I often say the U.S. is a great place to be FROM, with "from" being the operative word.

I thank The Fates for bringing me to Mexico.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:36 am

Trailrunner wrote:Problem is, newbies don't listen - unless it coincides with, and is confirmed by, something said on one of their "Gringos" Facebook sites. Yawn. They get what they deserve and it's pretty funny.

Facebook is getting a terrible rep (and well deserved) for "fake news". I don't participate in any of those groups. The good news is the younger generation is already moving away from Facebook for a number of reasons. Instagram is the new king with the under 30 year olds IMO.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am

IMO, anyone who relies on any of the social media sites for "facts" will have a rude awakening. They would be better off joining the local web board of the area they are thinking of moving to where they can hear from "boots on the ground" about the good, bad and ugly.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 am

The local web boards are not much better in many cases..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 am

Well at least we call out the BS fairly quickly...….lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 am

CanuckBob wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Problem is, newbies don't listen - unless it coincides with, and is confirmed by, something said on one of their "Gringos" Facebook sites. Yawn. They get what they deserve and it's pretty funny.

Facebook is getting a terrible rep (and well deserved) for "fake news". I don't participate in any of those groups. The good news is the younger generation is already moving away from Facebook for a number of reasons. Instagram is the new king with the under 30 year olds IMO.

A good point was brought up in a post I recently made; when there is no source cited on something of relative importance, you should, depending on the info given, look with skepticism on what is said.

In psychology I saw studies on how stories can run wild. Person #1 was shown a somewhat bland picture of people on a bus.A black man was sitting and appeared to be talking to a white woman in front of him who was standing. Then person #1 was told to tell his impression of what the picture represented to person #2 who didn't see the picture. This went on for several people, each passing on their impressions from what they were told by the prior person By person #7, the story/impression had become a "confrontation" between a black man and white woman over the bus seat.

Get it?

That's why most hearsay isn't allowed in court testimony.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:04 am

True about the B.S. We can only give our experiences with certain things. Doesn't mean our experiences are cast in concrete because things change... and a person's experience also depends on their attitude at the time.
However, gone are the days of dial up internet and the twice yearly trips to Canada to load up on things that you just couldn't buy here... nail brushes and certain spices amongst them.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:19 am

BTW, PBS is featuring an excellent special program on Frontline on Facebook. Last night was part 1 and tonight will be part 2, I highly recommend it, it features many ex-employees. I streamed it last night on  a tablet without any VPN. Enjoy.

Title is "The Facebook Dilemma".
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down