INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

+12
sm1mex
Gamina
suegarn
doc holiday
ferret
ltollefs
CHILLIN
PoCo2012
Trailrunner
Carry Bean
Kiri
MexicoPete
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco - Page 2 Empty Re: Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

Post by sm1mex Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:54 am

Right. Paper garbage bags would get messy from left over food scrapes.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco - Page 2 Empty Re: Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

Post by suegarn Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:56 am

sm1mex wrote:Right.  Paper garbage bags would get messy from left over food scrapes.

Leftover food scraps should be composted.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:11 pm

If you're old enough, you may remember a time before plastic bags. Somehow, people dealt with their garbage. My recollection was of the family putting a large metal garbage can out in front once a week for pickup, after which the can was hosed out. This was in Los Angeles, CA.
Any reason this can't happen here?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:43 pm

That's essentially what some of my Mexican neighbors do except they use plastic paint buckets and empty daily. Problem is, if they just put the bucket down on the corner with all those kitchen scraps and bones and tortillas the animals are immediately into it and spreading it around.

Perhaps a covered garbage can on your property until time to have it hauled away, then uncover and put out on the corner and hope someone doesn't steal the can before you can reclaim it.

Then, as Gringal said, hose it out and start over.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm

That is the correct solution. When I was a kid in the last century, that is exactly what my parents did

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Covered Garbage can is a good solution as long as the garbage truck comes by your house. My garbage men pick up the garbage from a community casita basura, so I have to carry it there and place in the inside barrels. We all have to just do all we can with what we have to work with to help the environment. Using cloth shopping bags, paper straws, if we can find them, use your own Tupperware type container for restaurant take out. Some restaurants at lakeside are now using paper cardboard containers for take out.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:07 pm

suegarn wrote:
sm1mex wrote:Right.  Paper garbage bags would get messy from left over food scrapes.

Leftover food scraps should be composted.

When I was a kid no garbage problems......
Dogs and cats got the high end food scraps, the hogs got the rest, including peelings or anything the former wouldn't eat. Most staple items were packaged in tin or paper, like oatmeal, flour, coffee, etc., etc. Meat was packaged in butchers paper.  Tin, paper, and glass were put into paper grocery bags and tossed into ravines to rot and decompose.
I know I'm old but plastic changed all that.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Very true! I remember meat in round, white & stiff paper containers with fitted covers. They were lightly waxed, but they still burned or were taken to the 'dump' to decompose. There was no garbage disposer in the sink, but we had dogs and cats, and us kids. I do not remember much of any garbage that could not end up in the garden in short order.
Cloth was natural then, until nylon was invented. Now, most 'cloth' is actually plastic too. Toys? They were also tin and iron, without batteries. They either wound up, or they were electric trains, which ran on a transformer's DC current. When they failed, they eventually rusted away without polluting anything.
Living in the country, on a dirt road, with active family farms in the immediate neighborhood, we were aware of everything from birth to slaughter, with milking and fertilizing of fields being just as natural.
Before we were old enough for high school, we knew how to drive tractors, trucks, horses and even cars, shoot squirrels, rabbits and doves, and even use dynamite to blast drainage ditches, stumps and boulders.
Life was definitely different before plastic.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:58 pm

[/quote]Leftover food scraps should be composted.[/quote]

Yes, they should but without the sufficient outdoor space I do the next best thing - I save a bag of produce scraps and trimmings in the freeze and once a week I cook it all down and feed it to the dog. Being a veg, I have an endless supply of produce trimmings and dog is very happy.

As an aside, I do remember how skanky our hosed out metal garbage cans smelled.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:26 pm

I remember being surprised to find wax paper products in the local markets when i moved here. We may be seeing more of it in the future. My guess is that the alternative products will be available at the same place you now buy plastic bags and such.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 pm

I believe California has a statewide ban on plastic bags. San Francisco and other cities have even more extensive restrictions on disposable plastics. How's that working out? Anyone know?
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:35 pm

I remember having a 45-gallon metal drum in the backyard that my father would incinerate all of our non-recyclable garbage in. Obviously, food waste, paper, grass or leaf waste....all of that would go in the compost pile. Glass jars and metal tins would be picked up by the scrap man in his truck. And glass pop bottles were a childhood dream! We'd walk along and collect all the bottles out of ditches alongside the roads, then take them back to the corner store and buy candy or comic books!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2