INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club

+14
Gamina
tbeck3579
brigitte
Lady Otter Latté
Vandre
Trailrunner
RVGRINGO
CHILLIN
doc holiday
Rosa Venus
gringal
rvanparys
CanuckBob
SunshineyDay
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club - Page 2 Empty Re: Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club

Post by tbeck3579 Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 pm

doc holiday wrote:Remember that when you want to sell, it will not be an easy place to unload in that price range.

You have some bargaining chips also
  Ask that they pay the first years insurance
  Ask they provide a first class survey not a tape measure survey.  This is most important.
  Ask for them to pay for a mechanical/engineering inspection.  This is a must as mentioned above r3grdimg maintaining your new home.

Fortunately it is the original owner and I've been lead to believe the blueprints are available.  It doesn't get better than that.  Yes, I do believe there are still areas to iron out and bargain with.  The owners weren't into maintaining the very expensive home they built.  If you don't maintain things they aren't worth a dime.  Stripping it down to bare walls and starting over is the only alternative here.

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club - Page 2 Empty Re: Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club

Post by Rosa Venus Thu May 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm so curious which house this is! (Yes, I work in real estate.)

Good luck.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:I'm so curious which house this is! (Yes, I work in real estate.)

Good luck.

Where do you work Rosa?

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu May 03, 2018 11:17 pm

It doesn't matter. You've already mentioned you have representation. Professional ethics and all that rot. Good luck!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am

I am worried you are walking into a minefield. Rebuilding is more expensive than new construction. The mechanicalimspéction is a must.

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 am

I got the contract yesterday and read it this morning.  No worries about signing that!  Not happening.  First, I won't give anyone 10% down at this point in the game.  I won't risk that much money for a "good faith offer" before inspections are completed and a price is settled on.  I don't care what country I'm in or what they may consider "customary".  A fool and his money...  Second, I explained many times it MUST have contingency clause regarding the sale of my fathers home and it isn't in there -- my home sold so they think I have the cash...  It doesn't matter if I have the cash, I will NOT uproot my father several times.  Those are 2 "big" problems, but other minor problems like title insurance (not even mentioned!) clearly skirt any protections for me, the buyer.  Ghad, I believe they think I'm an idiot with a double digit IQ and money.  I keep explaining it appears they have a "conflict of interest", but I keep getting the BS "trust me" and "we want to help you" song and dance.  Oh yeah, I trust you... about as far as I can throw you.  It's a good thing I view buying a home as a business proposition, not an emotional purchase.  I'm not attached to anything but my money :)

Last edited by tbeck3579 on Fri May 04, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

Great and well said

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 04, 2018 10:02 am

I have never heard of doing inspections etc., etc. without an accepted offer and deposit on the table, here or in Canada. They must do things differently in the US. Of course any offer has a "subject to inspection" clause.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 am

CanuckBob wrote:I have never heard of doing inspections etc., etc. without an accepted offer and deposit on the table, here or in Canada. They must do things differently in the US. Of course any offer has a "subject to inspection" clause.

As I explained to the RE agent, I can't drop everything and come back for an inspection. It is cheaper for me to lose the inspection money and not make an offer at all. I have to provide a caregiver for my father when I leave home so it isn't easy or cheap. I need to make a "real" offer based on an inspection. The inspection clause is in there and the roof still needs to be inspected. I can get that done without being here. I already know everything needs to be replaced.

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 am

There was a statement about me having an attorney, but I don't see it now. No I don't have one YET. I contacted Spencer and explained the many things I will need an attorney for; will, Visa, etc. etc. and a home purchase. However, I have not heard back from him so I need to find someone else.

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 am

I understand however it may be difficult to do any deal here under those circumstances. You may be better off to come here and rent for the first year while you take your time looking for the right place. Caregiving services are very inexpensive here compared to up north.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri May 04, 2018 10:18 am

I have a friend who owned in the Racquet Club, he said the mineral rich hot water piped into the house caused all sorts of plumbing problems. Also in your search, check out the volatility of the Home Owner Associations. Some are extremely volatile. As far as lawyers - very few professionals in Mexico seem to respond to emails, best to text to their cell phone number.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 10:22 am

Just thinking out loud... I'm not sure I will say much to the RE agent. I'll explain the contract is not what I need, and walk. She hasn't done me any favors, or remotely protected my interests. I don't owe her anything. I have to finish the closing on my home and move those items to storage anyway. I have too much on my plate. I can assure you that house isn't going anywhere. It will still be there when I'm ready.

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 am

CHILLIN wrote:I have a friend who owned in the Racquet Club, he said the mineral rich hot water piped into the house caused all sorts of plumbing problems. Also in your search, check out the volatility of the Home Owner Associations. Some are extremely volatile. As far as lawyers - very few professionals in Mexico seem to respond to emails, best to text to their cell phone number.

Yes, the water here is a big problem, as is the way the water is handled within the home. I need a whole house water softener. There is UV water filtration equipment but the way their water system operates is useless. A lot of money was spent for a system that was not set up to be effective. Re: attorney. I received one email from Spencer, and I know he posts here, so email should be working for him. I'm not sure email is the problem. Maybe this isn't something he wants to take on, or he is busy with other clients, who knows?

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 10:28 am

CanuckBob wrote:I understand however it may be difficult to do any deal here under those circumstances. You may be better off to come here and rent for the first year while you take your time looking for the right place. Caregiving services are very inexpensive here compared to up north.

Yes, I am considering that right now. Too many games are occupying my precious time. When I consider paying rent here vs a caregiver in the states... Well, I'm a bottom line kinda gal :)

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 am

I think Spencer may be on vacation up in the US at the moment.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 04, 2018 10:46 am

I agree with the poster who said you would be in a much better long term position to buy any property after you've settled your home sale up north. Sellers don't like contingencies to their sales.

However, I'm getting the impression that you are not a person who acts on advice from those who have lived here unless it lines up with the way you believe its the way things "should" be by your own lights. You have received some excellent advice from various posters. I wish you the very best of luck in your move. Adios.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 10:55 am

CanuckBob wrote:I understand however it may be difficult to do any deal here under those circumstances. You may be better off to come here and rent for the first year while you take your time looking for the right place. Caregiving services are very inexpensive here compared to up north.

I did a quick search for a rental and I didn't find much. I suspect what I need will be anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000 per month. That buys a lot of caregiving. I'll sleep on it. Geezzz it wasn't as if the RE agent didn't know I don't have times for games so, why would she risk blowing a sale? It makes zero sense to me. If it were me I would have had the buyers back; I WANT to get paid for my hard work.

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Fri May 04, 2018 11:10 am

I came from the States. Have bought and sold 5 houses and built one. I would never even consider buying a hose without a mechanical/engineering inspection. That is a prerequisite to me before an offer. it is my option, not theirs. Otherwise, you are buying a pig in a poke or like buying a used car and then take it to the mechanic to see what is wrong with it.
If the seller does not want to provide a mechanical/engineering inspection then there is a problem for sure

Why in the world would you buy a something without an inspection first?
You are the buyer and have control.

If the custom is different in Canada you get screwed.

Take control and manage the deal. Must have a GOOD lawyer if there is one.

I come to agree that renting is the best option for at least a year.

That house could be a real pig to sell !!!!!

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 04, 2018 11:19 am

Every properly drawn up offer, whether in the States or here, has a clause covering inspections, without which there is no deal. If the inspection shows more problems than the potential buyer wants to deal with, the offer is withdrawn and any deposit returned. The magic phrase is "satisfactory" results.

Note: there are some very nice new developments in West Ajijic, mostly gated (for all the good that does),with new wiring, new plumbing and new everything else. Before investing in a "pig", I'd at least look at some of them (with a new realtor.) But that's just me, eh?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 am

gringal wrote:I agree with the poster who said you would be in a much better long term position to buy any property after you've settled your home sale up north.  Sellers don't like contingencies to their sales.

However, I'm getting the impression that you are not a person who acts on advice from those who have lived here unless it lines up with the way you believe its the way things "should" be by your own lights.  You have received some excellent advice from various posters.  I wish you the very best of luck in your move.  Adios.

Thank you.  I happily take all advice, the more information I get the better my decisions will be.  Sometimes people who give advice do it from their perspective, and what works best for them, and I appreciate that.  I have to do what works best for me and sometimes, the people giving advice can't appreciate that.

Re: After I settle my home sale up north. I sold my home. I can't uproot my father several times; he is old with health problems. ANY contract will need a contingency clause for the sale of his home. Given he's in a major metro area with a large population where homes priced correctly sell quickly, the sale of his home is at the bottom of my concerns. Sellers don't like a lot of things (remember, my home sold so I'm a seller) but to that I say, do want to sell this home or not? Your decision, not mine.

Last edited by tbeck3579 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 11:26 am

gringal wrote:Every properly drawn up offer, whether in the States or here, has a clause covering inspections, without which there is no deal.  If the inspection shows more problems than the potential buyer wants to deal with, the offer is withdrawn and any deposit returned. The magic phrase is "satisfactory" results.

Note:  there are some very nice new developments in West Ajijic, mostly gated (for all the good that does),with new wiring, new plumbing and new everything else.  Before investing in a "pig", I'd at least look at some of them (with a new realtor.)  But that's just me, eh?

Yes, I agree both about the inspection clause and the new realtor!  This is business, and someone working for me, on my dime... I don't hesitate to weed out the con artists from the person who can appreciate I'm not a "special kind of stupid" to be taken advantage of.  No skin off my nose.

Reno's are not everyone's cup of tea. I can turn a sows ear into a silk purse (and a nice ham) Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club - Page 2 677358 Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club - Page 2 677358 Made An Offer On Home In Raquet Club - Page 2 677358

Last edited by tbeck3579 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri May 04, 2018 11:35 am

tbeck3579 wrote:There was a statement about me having an attorney, but I don't see it now.  No I don't have one YET.  I contacted Spencer and explained the many things I will need an attorney for; will, Visa, etc. etc. and a home purchase.  However, I have not heard back from him so I need to find someone else.

In Mexico, regular attorneys (abogados) do not handle real estate, wills, etc. That is the perview of specialized attorneys, appointed by the state, and called Notarios. An abogado may be able to help you with visa questions, but visa applications must be made in your home country, at a Mexican consulate.  You, your husband, and your father will each need individual visas, and must apply in person. If an invalid is unable to appear, there may be special arrangements available from the consulate, but you would have to inquire. Check the website for the Mexican consulate serving your area.  Applications may be made up to six months before you enter Mexico. Then, you finish the process with INM immigration authorities with proof of residence, etc.  INM has an office in Chapala. Spencer can definitely help you at that stage, and Chapala INM may be able to make a home visit to an invalid. As a buyer, you have the right to select the Notario. If Spencer is to help with your Real Estate matters, you and he will still have to use a Notario for the search, closing, deed and registration, etc. By the way; Notarios do not handle the deposits or purchase money, just the various fees and taxes. Payment arrangements are up to the buyer and seller, but often arranged by the real estate agency, if one is used.

Last edited by RVGRINGO on Fri May 04, 2018 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri May 04, 2018 11:36 am

gringal wrote:Every properly drawn up offer, whether in the States or here, has a clause covering inspections, without which there is no deal.  If the inspection shows more problems than the potential buyer wants to deal with, the offer is withdrawn and any deposit returned. The magic phrase is "satisfactory" results.

Note:  there are some very nice new developments in West Ajijic, mostly gated (for all the good that does),with new wiring, new plumbing and new everything else.  Before investing in a "pig", I'd at least look at some of them (with a new realtor.)  But that's just me, eh?

Exactly!

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 04, 2018 11:36 am

ICYMI - this is what our new poster thinks of renting before buying. . .and I quote:

"Sorry, I missed the RENT advice. I have no desire to pay a strangers mortgage, tyvm :) I understand there are people who cannot afford a home. I also understand there are people living on the profit from the sale of their home out of necessity -- although I can't imagine paying the initial taxes if you don't buy another home... OUCH! I feel for them because I may be in their shoes some day. Everyone seems to think I'm very old because my husband and dad are dying; I'm not that old. I have my retirement and end of life care to consider and paying rent, OUCH, too painful to think about. I'm back where I started when I left my parents home??? Thanks but I'll let someone else make the land owners payment. To all the renters, imagine not having to pay rent... all that cash in your pocket... not feeling the pain of that monthly bill.... I worked and sacrificed my entire life for this freedom :) RENT, argh... My stomach just did a flip flop."
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tbeck3579 Fri May 04, 2018 11:47 am

RVGRINGO wrote:
tbeck3579 wrote:There was a statement about me having an attorney, but I don't see it now.  No I don't have one YET.  I contacted Spencer and explained the many things I will need an attorney for; will, Visa, etc. etc. and a home purchase.  However, I have not heard back from him so I need to find someone else.

In Mexico, regular attorneys (abogados) do not handle real estate, wills, etc. That is the perview of specialized attorneys, appointed by the state, and called Notarios. An abogado may be able to help you with visa questions, but visa applications must be made in your home country, at a Mexican consulate.  You, your husband, and your father will each need individual visas, and must apply in person. If an invalid is unable to appear, there may be special arrangements available from the consulate, but you would have to inquire. Check the website for the Mexican consulate serving your area.  Applications may be made up to six months before you enter Mexico. Then, you finish the process with INM immigration authorities with proof of residence, etc.  INM has an office in Chapala.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I appreciate that there are "specialties" and I appreciate I need very specialized advice from a professional. My Visa's need to be a little different. I have the background checks, etc., but importing household items, etc. etc. etc. I believe my dad will need a permanent resident visa so he won't need to travel back to the U.S., and I will need a temporary for import reasons. This is where a professional will come in. Notario's are great, but I prefer to have my own attorney read something I sign before I sign it. It's something that would make me feel more comfortable; the contract and request for big $$$ sorta makes my case here -- no need to dwell on that. I need a will drawn up and I need to get health insurance for my father. The only expectation for Seguro Popular is help with prescription costs, not much else. I will take him to private doctors and pay out of pocket. However, I need different health insurance. As you can see my needs are complicated and they are not straight forward.

tbeck3579

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next