INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning)

+3
espíritu del lago
bobnliz
borderreiver
7 posters

Go down

Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning) Empty Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning)

Post by borderreiver Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am

To me, re Mexico, this is truly, truly bizarre.
In the province of BC I hold a Level III Industrial First Aid ticket. The only difference between me and a paramedic (Ambulance Attendant) is I can't stick a needle in you and administer medication. If you happen to have the meds on you and are conscious you can authorize me to proceed or help facilitate.
This, and "on job" safety monitoring (to meet provincial regs) is basically what I do. I have other hats.
My kit travels with me in my vehicle. I also possess and am qualified to use an AED (automatic external defibrulator - wish I could spel.). That stays in the house. You never know when you could have a "jammer", my wife is qualified, and the device talks you through it anyway. I got "pulled" travelling with the AED to ottawa 5 yrs. ago. Thought it was a "device." Now they hang off the walls everywhere. I cannot conceive of not stopping and intervening in a life threatening situation. I'm hard wired to do it. I am legally required to do so. Hence - BIZARRE.
To the person that intervened in the drowning tragedy. Please know that you tried to save a life, it's hard, but you will come to accept that. The mother knows you tried to save her girl. Know that. Know that you are an exemplary human being. THANK YOU.
Here's the BIZARRE reality. If I lived there, with my gear and capabilities, as a neighbour, helping you out (quite frankly - saving your life) I could be fined, jailed, deported et al. BE SAFE.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning) Empty Re: Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning)

Post by bobnliz Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 am

As you said... bizarre.
It was not too many years ago that here in the States you could be held liable in some instances if you had stopped to help someone.
Then they came up with "The Good Samaritan Law". Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning) Empty Re: Good Samaritan Act (referencing TOB's posting re tragic drowning)

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 am

Bike riders without helmets. Bide riders at night. Cars without lights on at night. Drivers drinking beers. Small unattended children stepping off curbs between parked cars. 8 years olds lighting firecrackers.

My response on TOB

Oh no, back in the good old days I did all of that and then some...Never killed anybody and I am still here..Why is it MX needs to be changed to what we perceive is a better way? When do you draw the line? Do you want all the rules and regulation that so many have chosen to get away from?

We used to swim in rivers and ponds, go to isolated beaches, their were no life guards.We had responsible adults to take charge and discipline as needed. I for one do not want Mexico to turn into just the same old thing that I leave behind a few months out of the year. If anything someone who is certified in CPR should get together with the Mexican powers that be and a free program started so everyone could learn CPR. It would be a great community project that would be worthy for all involved.
Beware the wrath of a patient adversary.

Something else I will add here, A car is burning Mom, Gram pa and small children need help....Am I going to stand there because of the "GOOD SAMARITAN ACT" and watch a tragedy unfold? No, personally I could not live with myself if I did not attempt to help. Another example a child is choking and I can save them no one else knows the Heimlich maneuver. Do I watch that child choke to death or do I help her?
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Espiritu ~ The Good Sam Law said one WOULD NOT prosecute someone giving aid. It presumed to correct the error of our ways. Lizzy Rolling Eyes
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:21 pm

If I lived there, with my gear and capabilities, as a neighbour, helping you out (quite frankly - saving your life) I could be fined, jailed, deported et al.
I am referencing this IE...Mexico law...

I hope Spencer will chime in on this when he has time as to the specifics and how it effects one in Mexico...
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 pm

How many cases do you know of that someone was prosecuted for being a good Samaritan? I know of none. Let me rephrase it again...better yet, how many cases of expats being prosecuted for being a good Samaritan have you read about? I know of none.

We get up in arms about NOB media reports about cartels in Mexico. Expats are the ones who sensationalize some of these what 'if's', when it comes to laws in Mexico. This and volunteer work. When in Mexico, do as the Mexicans, no? Well, not exactly :P

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 pm

One of the unfounded rumors.....Still I wish Spence would give the law, I suspect your right..
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Now that a number of people have offered commentary and trashed the water park on other forums, a reading of an article from the GUADALAJARA REPORTER may be in order:

http://www.guadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/lake-chapala-mainmenu-84/29400-jocotepec-girl-drowns-at-ajijic-water-park.html

Please try the corrected link. Sorry that I didn't check it!

Last edited by yuri on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm

yuri wrote:Now that a number of people have offered commentary and trashed the water park on other forums, a reading of an article from the GUADALAJARA REPORTER may be in order:

http://www.guadalajarareporter.com/...ijic-water-park.html

can you plz post it, the link won't work for me.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 pm

The article is interesting, but there was nothing said about whether there is a Good Sam Law and if so, what that law might be.
Where is Spencer when we need him? Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 pm

yuri wrote:Now that a number of people have offered commentary and trashed the water park on other forums, a reading of an article from the GUADALAJARA REPORTER may be in order:

http://www.guadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/lake-chapala-mainmenu-84/29400-jocotepec-girl-drowns-at-ajijic-water-park.html

Please try the corrected link. Sorry that I didn't check it!

This linked worked for me.

The only question for me is who in the hell leaves a child under the age of four without adult supervision, at a pool no less. If the sister was of responsible age I feel pretty certain they would have mentioned that fact.

Pools are dangerous and people need to remember this. Because everyone is having fun; attention is diverted from responsibilities. What a shame but this is far too common. We feel very lucky to have a pool so we allow others to also enjoy it but we insist at least two adults (not drinking alcohol) supervising when kids are in the pool. Plus we really don’t need the headache if something happened. :(

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Here's the Mexican story:

http://www.paginaquesiselee.com.mx/index.php/contenido/noticias/8242-nina-se-ahoga-en-parque-acuatico

I don't know of a good webpage for translating but a bit different from the English version.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:14 am

Girl drowns in water park

The death of a child who fell to a pool, apparently accidentally, and neglect of their parents, is already under investigation by the Agency of the Public Ministry of Chapala.
The incident occurred on 4 August about 2 p.m., at the Tobolandia water park, located in the town of Ajijic. The child was identified as Anayanzi Monreal Elvira, 3, domiciled in the municipality of Jocotepec.
To surrender his statement to the Agency of the Public Ministry, the father of the minor, Pedro Monreal Meza, mentioned that he and his family arrived in the aquatic park around 12: 40 p.m., to bathe in the pools and that after one hour, at 1: 50 pm about his two daughters said they were going to go to the sunbathing and five minutesIt was when heard the cry of a woman that a child drowned in one of the pools.
Realizing that the child was inside the pool and without knowing how to swim, an unknown man who was near the site was launched, it was rescued and with the girl in her arms, ran off the water park and the father of the child to ask for help. Upon arrival, the JAL-023 ambulance paramedics found the child lying on the curtailment of the road, at the entrance to the Park, but already without vital signs. The body was lifted up by staff of the forensic medical service (SEMEFO).
According to initial investigations, one of the maintainers of the Waterpark called it called Red Cross to give account of what happened. It was also reported that an inspection carried out by the Agency of the public prosecutor's Office, verified that the establishment has an infirmary and a group of lifeguards. However, yet seek the testimony of several witnesses to continue with the investigations.
In this case, two employees already surrendered his statement to the Agency of the public prosecutor, who is awaiting the results of the autopsy to learn about the direct causes of the death of the minor. Apparently, the company has insurance for accidents in the interior of the Waterpark.
Place your cursor over the link and right click...go down to "translate with Bing" and click then you (almost instantly) have the translation.

The above using `Windows 7`
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down