INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria

+8
brigitte
gringal
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
ferret
Chapalagringa
Flamingo
Kiri
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria Empty Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria

Post by Kiri Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:59 am

Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria

Has the age of antibiotics come to an end? From a young girl thrust onto life support in Arizona to an uncontrollable outbreak at one of the nation’s most prestigious hospitals, FRONTLINE investigates the alarming rise of a deadly type of bacteria that our modern antibiotics can’t stop.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/hunting-the-nightmare-bacteria/
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria Empty Re: Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria

Post by Flamingo Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:40 pm

For years doctors have been warning that using cleaners and soaps that claim to kill 99.9% of bacteria only kill the easy germs and the really bad germs get stronger.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:16 pm

They need to learn how to properly detox people rather than ruin their immune system by giving people antibiotics. There are natural and effective herbal antibiotics that don't kill your good bacteria and wreck havoc on your bowel terrain. Antibiotics kill everything, therefore leaving your candida to take over and down a person goes with their health with it. Ridiculous. Of course they would never tell a person to get off of antibiotics as quickly as possible and start eating raw produce to build back their good flora plus take herbal formulas for killing off the candida before it ruins their stomach and bowels.

Stay alkaline and you can't get sick. Getting alkaline is what most people don't know how to accomplish. Some think if they drink a glass of fresh water with lime juice will do it. That'll help but far from being all that needs to be done.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:41 am

Flamingo wrote:For years doctors have been warning that using cleaners and soaps that claim to kill 99.9% of bacteria only kill the easy germs and the really bad germs get stronger.

This, and the fact that if you eat dairy and farm animals you are consuming a load of hormones, antibiotics, and who knows what else every time you sit down to a burger, steak, pollo asado, or bacon and eggs.

The medical community has been warning people of this for about 20 years, as predicted, it is getting worse. And one of the best ways to contract a killer bug is by being hospitalized . . . Foley catheters, feeding tubes etc.

What to do? Become a vegetarian, keep yourself healthy, only take an antibiotic if absolutely necessary, and stay out of the hospital.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 am

do not forget farm raised fish..
Weather or not take antibiotics is a tough one.. Yesterday I was talking to a young ma in his twenties who had just lot his friend to salmonella.. he cold have easily be saved with antibiotic but did not take care of it and died...The system cannot always fight back..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 am

brigitte wrote:do not forget farm raised fish..
Weather or not take antibiotics is a tough one.. Yesterday I was talking to a young ma in his twenties who had just lot his friend to salmonella.. he cold have easily be saved with antibiotic but did not take care of it and died...The system cannot always fight back..

Sounds good, except when your body is going into pneumonia or a few other things. I wouldn't be here without those drugs, from over a half century ago and several times again. Otherwise, I agree that a healthy lifestyle, avoidance of drugs where possible and being picky about what goes into your stomach is a good thing.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

brigitte wrote:do not forget farm raised fish..

Speaking of which, there is a breakout of salmonella/typhoid going around at the moment. I am currently getting over a bout of typhoid and two of my friends also have it. We have different strains. If you are feeling tired, bloated, nauseous, etc get checked out. They can test you at the Ajijic clinic for $150 pesos. You get the results the same day.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 am

When my husband got it his fever got very high and his shaking was so strong he could not talk.. it was pretty scary

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:12 am

I was fortunate enough to catch it at the very beginning. I wasn't feeling 100% and thought if two of my friends have it I should check it out. It turns out I did have it but a different strain than my friends so I didn't catch it from them. I haven't been diligent in washing my vegetables. I will be from now on. Once it is totally clear I am going to get the typhoid vaccine. Some people can carry it and have no (or very minor) symptoms at all (IE Typhoid Mary).

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 pm

So what do you do for typhoid? Antibiotic? Is it a bacterial or viral infection?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Typhoid is advanced salmonella (or a strain of sorts). It is bacterial and treated with antibiotics. It can be very difficult to eliminate. My friends are on their second round of antibiotics because the first round didn't get it. They have been given a different more powerful type this time.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Typhoid is specifically caused by the strain of Salmonella that is called Salmonella typhi.
You can be very sick from many other strains of Salmonella and there are, at present, over 2,000 varieties. And let's throw in the Shigella's and various strains of Escherichia coli.
A culture SHOULD be done to determine the correct antibiotic sensitivity to ANY infection and therein lies the problem of superbugs being created. Antibiotics are no longer a targeted medicine and Doctors scattershoot to "get 'em all" with broadspectrum antibiotics.
We have killed the golden goose.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Totally agree, Ferret.
Who is your doctor in charge of your care, Bob? Did you have a culture done?
Hope you are well again soon CB.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 pm

It is pretty scary to see the results of the culture giving what antibiotic will work and to which antibiotic the bug is immune ...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Yes, I had a test at Ajijic clinic. Dr. Hernandez prescribed the antibiotics.

As a side note, my friends eat out a lot, almost every meal, hence they get salmonella more than usual. I think they have become immune to Cipro which is what is often prescribed.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:54 pm

This is a vicious circle. Your gut is the largest part of your immune system. When you kill off the bad bacteria you are also killing off the good bacteria as well... which totally compromises your immune system and makes you even more susceptible to the next "infection".
If you absolutely have to take antibiotics, then please find out from your Doctor what he/she recommends to recolonize your bowel with "good LIVE" probiotic bacteria and prevent an overgrowth of Candida albicans.
You can't fight off ANYTHING if your immune system is compromised.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm

It IS a vicious cycle, I've seen friends battle it for months. One antibiotic after another. As Ferret says, they start with a broad spectrum, like Cipro, then if that doesn't work they pick another and on and on. Why don't you get a second opinion from JP Losa at Guerrero #141 in Chapala. 765 5477 or 333 141 3364  He really helped a friend of mine end the cycle.

Probiotics are a must. Even if you only drink Yakult.

Better tell us where you and your friends are eating because I eat out all the time too and I never get sick from the restaurants around here. I have in the past, but I haven't for years. Where are you guys eating??? What water are you buying?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:23 pm

I primarily eat at home. My friends eat everywhere. I drink my treated tap water. My friends drink bottled water. I have just started the treatment and will get retested after 10 days. I already feel better after 3 days. Some people can have it and show very few, if any, symptoms. If I ate out all the time I would get tested just to see. If it wasn't for my friends having it and telling me the symptoms I probably wouldn't have gone in. I didn't feel that bad.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:19 am

Doesn't sound like you were cultured but rather had a simple blood test read and interpretted by the AC. And treated by them. Is that where your friends are being diagnosed and treated too???

Have you had your drinking water tested recently??? Does your wife have it??? Yes, disinfect your food!

Glad you're feeling better, it's possible you never had it. Go see JP and get a second opinion and bring all your labs and meds with you for the consult. I wouldn't let the AC touch me with a ten foot pole.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:30 am

My wife hasn't been tested but probably should. She doesn't drink the tap water like I do but she does eat the same food.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:37 am

Trailrunner wrote:Doesn't sound like you were cultured but rather had a simple blood test read and interpretted by the AC. And treated by them. Is that where your friends are being diagnosed and treated too???

Have you had your drinking water tested recently??? Does your wife have it??? Yes, disinfect your food!

Glad you're feeling better, it's possible you never had it. Go see JP and get a second opinion and bring all your labs and meds with you for the consult. I wouldn't let the AC touch me with a ten foot pole.

A modest defense of the Ajijic Clinic (that is what you meant, si?):  late in the afternoon on Christmas Eve, I had a household accident which resulted in major bleeding.  Rushed into the AC and a doctor was in there promptly to treat it. It may not be the best place to go for general health care, I agree, but at least it's there if you need it...even on a major holiday.  Certainly true if that's the closest facility and you're bleeding.

Re the chances of getting gut bacteria: Especially at this time of year, disinfect those veggies and lettuces thoroughly, and be a bit more careful than usual about ordering salads at restaurants you're not familiar with.
If you have a home disinfecting system, be sure to have all parts of it checked on schedule. Well worth the cost.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:37 am

Anyone can stop a bleed, Gringal, doesn't take major medical skills. Many other doctors and clinics are available here for holidays and CR is open 24/7.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:54 am

Trailrunner wrote:Anyone can stop a bleed, Gringal, doesn't take major medical skills. Many other doctors and clinics are available here for holidays and CR is open 24/7.

I'm not referring to medical skills, since of course I know any doc can stop a bleed. I'm referring to how close and how availabe you want the sewer-upper to be when the blood is dripping. CR is in Chapala, and I haven't heard 100% praises of that facility. Do you know one available 24/7/365 in Ajijic besides AC?

Why don't you tell us the basis of your ("ten foot pole")objection to the Ajijic Clinic facility? That's only fair.
I've had three very good outcomes in emergencies over the past years.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 am

Very often salmonella typhi and other is transmitted through contaminated food , by people in restaurant who do not wash their hands.. My husband had it and I did not and we usually east the same thing unless we go out. of course salads and other raw veggies in rstaurants are not a good idea.
By the way Bob the vaccine only protects you from one strain and there are many para typhoid strain so it is better to be careful where you eat or what you eat..
We are both vaccinated now but since we have cut back on eating out we get sick less often..
We still eat food that is well cooked out but do not eat anything raw or fruit that have been handled by strangers..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Good advice Brigitte.
When I worked at Scarborough General Hospital in microbiology, I isolated a Salmonella sendai while working the weekend alone. It was so rare that I did the serology five times. Then I read the details of the "patient" and freaked. He was working in the hospital cafeteria in food preparation. A new immigrant from China who had always worked in food prep and was completely asymptomatic. I had to phone down to get him out of there pronto and then, when the CDC confirmed my find, the hospital let him go.
However, I do not know what other kind of work he was capable of doing. It was just too risky for the hospital even if he had undergone treatment.
You just never know... and maintaining a good healthy immune system is your first defense.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next