INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what living here is like

+9
Ms Mac
Carry Bean
Demonio
CanuckBob
gringal
lunateak
David
juanrey
lucky
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

what living here is like - Page 2 Empty Re: what living here is like

Post by sharpie Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 am

Zoey wrote:No harm intended. Just trying to be funny and it fell flat on its face. Sorry. Zoey
It's ok Zoey, not everyone understands Christian humor.

sharpie

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

gringal wrote:
juanrey wrote:How many people down there actually make Mexican friends? It seems some do and some don't, but can't get a feel for it. Seems like it would be something that you'd want to do. Thoughts and comments?

How do people usually make friends? As kids, we make them in school. As adults, we tend to make friends at work or among other business associates or group members. Full time mom/homemakers get to know other mothers. Later in life, especially if we move to a foreign country, it's not as easy. People don't have those easy associations with those they work with that can develop into real friendships. Those who are native already have their circle of friends and family. Foreigners tend to join groups of other foreigners. When someone says that they are "friends" with their employees...maids or gardeners.....I think they're kidding themselves a bit, but that's just my opinion. I would like to hear how others began their friendships with Mexicans.

Long story short: We taught English classes on our patio for two hours each, twice a week. We had 5 adults and 6 kids from two families. That was a couple of years ago and to this day we get invited to their family events and enjoy coffee or ice cream when we happen upon each other in town. They are the nicest folks you would ever want to meet and truth be told, I think they taught us more Spanish than they learned English. The cost was nothing and the experience was priceless.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:04 pm

They are the nicest folks you would ever want to meet and truth be told, I think they taught us more Spanish than they learned English. The cost was nothing and the experience was priceless.

I know you had a great time - but how often could they use "George Bush is a donkey's butt" in conversation :P
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 am

lunateak wrote:They are the nicest folks you would ever want to meet and truth be told, I think they taught us more Spanish than they learned English. The cost was nothing and the experience was priceless.

I know you had a great time - but how often could they use "George Bush is a donkey's butt" in conversation :P

I figured it wouldn't be often but ya never know when U.S politics might come up and I did want them prepared.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:36 pm

One thing that can be a big help in getting information across is an e-translator. It will fit in your pocket or purse, and it's way handy when you need a word or description at Wallyworld, or the ferreteria. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by dmbdenmother Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:47 am

I took 4 years of Latin and 2 years of Spanish in high school (oh, so long ago). I lived in Italy for 3 years. The funny thing is that I keep breaking into Italian when trying to communicate. The lady in the grocery store calls me Senora Italiano. Luckily there are enough cognates that I seem to get my message through. Funny though.

dmbdenmother

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am

When you're stumped your second language will always "fill in" for you. Mine is French, so my Spanish sentences often contain a French word or two.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2