INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance Agents advice on what to do if in a car accident

+15
Clueless
sir
Flamingo
Canada_Mike
Gamina
gringal
CanuckBob
slainte39
RickS
David
hickton
islandiver
Bubba2shoes
brigitte
sm1mex
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Insurance Agents advice on what to do if in a car accident - Page 3 Empty Re: Insurance Agents advice on what to do if in a car accident

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 am

Given that most of the audience here doesn't speak fluent Spanish it is important that you choose an insurance company that can send out an English speaking adjuster.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Insurance Agents advice on what to do if in a car accident - Page 3 Empty Re: Insurance Agents advice on what to do if in a car accident

Post by David Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:11 am

It's the attorney that gets you out of jail, not the adjuster.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:59 am

Yes, but the adjuster is the first one you will be talking too. They line up the attorney, etc. etc., explain the process and interpret if necessary. The attorney will likely be working for the insurance company.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 am

Yes, the attorney works for YOUR insurance company. The FIRST person you talk to is your agent and/or your insurance company. The adjuster will not do that. Adjusters are independent and do not work for any insurance company.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:13 am

When I had a minor incident a few years back my adjuster (the guy that came to the scene) was my "go to" guy for everything......YMMV.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 am

That works when it's minor. In our accident there were injuries. The adjuster was useless, the insurance company attorney was useless. It took efforts of my agent and personal attorney to get out of jail. Oh, there was also the traditional passing out of cash.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 am

yes you can use the adjusters and they also ask you if you need a lawyer so you can have either one but if you have hurt people you are better off asking for a lawyer.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:46 am

David wrote:That works when it's minor.  In our accident there were injuries.  The adjuster was useless, the insurance company attorney was useless.  It took efforts of my agent and personal attorney to get out of jail.  Oh, there was also the traditional passing out of cash.

I guess my point was that if you are on the scene, no one speaks English and the adjuster shows up and also doesn't speaks English then it might be a bit harrowing as you will have no idea what is going on. I ensured with my insurance company that they have English speaking adjusters that show up to the scene......that's all.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:50 am

All good.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm wondering two things.

1. If the ins. co. doesn't send an adjuster out or you can't get one, who pays for the attorney you have to retain?

2. Anyone know, from experience, English speaking attorneys who have done this and the final cost out of your pickets for the atty and handshakes.

Of course I'm sure that at the moment you are tossed into the cell, the cost of getting out is secondary.

I don't guess the American Counsel in Guadalajara would do any good.

Hmmm, anyone recall "Midnight Express?"
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:26 pm

You get a public defendor if you want one or do not have any money..
The insurrance does send an adjuster if it is a legit company and f your policy has llegal aid they send a lawyer if you want one.
How many of them speak English is another story, I guess you have to ask your ins company.
The MP does contact your consulate as part of the procedure. When they saw me they said we need to call the US consulate.. I said why? I am from France and I am a Mexican national, they were very relieved, one less thing to do., I got a big round of applause on that one but I still went to the cell.
I would think the consulate would give you the name of English speaking lawyers or translators.
Who pays for it, you would have to ask your insurrance agent.
I had very little contact with the lawyer. I did not know that but he was working with my husband and friend and since I did not have a phone I felt pretty left out of the whole process.

Midnight Express was a great movie , my situation was nothing like that..thank God!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 pm

In any and all accidents the insurance company(s) will send an adjuster.
Most insurance policies include legal assistance.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Even though I was not at fault in my wreck, my insurance company sent an attorney to help me through the initial process for the first two days. He spoke excellent English as did the adjuster for the responsible party's insurance.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canmex 87 Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:56 pm

David wrote:Yes, the attorney works for YOUR insurance company.  The FIRST person you talk to is your agent and/or your insurance company.  The adjuster will not do that.  Adjusters are independent and do not work for any insurance company.

Maybe that was your experience but when we had our accident the adjuster was an employee of the insurance company.

Canmex 87
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Brigitte, is Spencer your attorney? If not do you mind telling us who you and your husband use here in Guadalajara area? I'll be in Morelia and also on the coast. I was hoping I could find one that includes these areas.

Do you have them on retainer? How does that work?

Thank you in advance.  Anyone can chime in.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:35 pm

No Spencer is not my attorney . The attorney is the attorney provided by AXA my insurrance company. I do not need an English speaking attorney and I do not have an attorney on a retainer, if I needed one I would pick one that would especialize in what I needed and would be recommended by friends in Guadalajara.
If you are concerned about the driving part talk to your agent an see if they have English speaking attorney or translators If your agent speaks English he can help you find someone that would be able to help you. Get to meet him , have his card and if you need him call him.
Since I live in a couple of places I would use a differnt one in Chiapas than here as well.
I would think the your consulate would have a list of attorneys as well.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Yes the driving part. Thanks. I'm try to decide whether AXA on Bellon. I'll only be down 6 weeks. I have a beater I'll be driving it it's mechanically sound. I figure I'll purchase extra monetary in case I'm at fault.

I don't know anyone in Morelia or on the coast so recommendations from friends will be few. I I'll check other forums for recommendations.

Thank you for responding.
espiritu
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:51 pm

I get by understanding Spanish pretty good. Speaking legalese is another matter that and understanding the differences between the U.S. legal vs Mexico.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Question! In jail if you had money could you buy to toilet paper, food water, Mordida so to speak? Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:58 pm

The insurrance co covers you in all parts of Mexico. I live 6 to 8 months in Chiapas where I drive Jalisco plated car when I drive and when my husband had an accident on the border near Guatemala Axa sent their adjustor and had the car fixed in Tapachula. . Have a bag with what you need for the in case .. Have a cell phone with your agent phone number in there. Your agent should be able to get help to you.
Have the consulate number and they will figure it out.
The police will not let you starve..someone will help..hopefully..

I drive from Chiapas to  Guadalajara a couple of times a year and I do not worry if I know someone or not, these things work themselves out when you have a phone with  a couple of friends, number , the agent the insurrance company and the consulate in it. Get legal aid with your insurrance and go for it. You cannot stop living because you may have an accident.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:14 pm

The "go to jail until we figure it out" seems to be a remnant of the "Guilty until proven innocent" days. I'm sure we will see some more reform on this policy too.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Not sure, it was started because most people drove without insurrance so they wanted to make the there would be a party responsable that would pay, I was told that the long period of time they inpound the car is part of the same logic... although I cannot understand why it would take 20 days to make sure the vin numbers on the car are the same as on the factura.. I smell a rat there but on Tuesday I will find out all about getting the car out and that will be the next battle..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Not sure, it was started because most people drove without insurrance so they wanted to make the there would be a party responsable that would pay, I was told that the long period of time they inpound the car is part of the same logic... although I cannot understand why it would take 20 days to make sure the vin numbers on the car are the same as on the factura.. I smell a rat there but on Tuesday I will find out all about getting the car out and that will be the next battle..
You would think that people who have insurrance would be let go or people like me who do not have a claim or a claim against me would be let go and that the people who would not settled would be kept..not so ..everyone goes or everyone stays.. another point where the logic does not work.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

brigitte wrote:I was told that the long period of time they inpound the car is part of the same logic... although I cannot understand why it would take 20 days to make sure the vin numbers on the car are the same as on the factura.. I smell a rat there but on Tuesday I will find out all about getting the car out and that will be the next battle..

Yeah, I have a theory about that. It starts with this symbol: $$$$$

So sorry to hear about your ordeal brigette.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:52 pm

You are assessed a fee for every day the car is impounded. Why would they let you take the car out quickly?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Exactly. Last time I was down I was coming back and got hit, not my fault. Fortunately my truck was drivable. The old man was fine and wanted no part of the policia.

I felt sorry for him and  gave him around 300.00 use. He was really old and his vehicle was totaled.
Mine was screwed as I didn't want to be stuck getting it fixed. I was going home to Texas.
Later I took it to Laredo and had body work done there.

All's well that ends well. I suspect he was intoxicated he reeked of booz and was in pretty rough shape.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next