INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prepare for the British invasion

+12
Zedinmexico
DaveP
slainte39
gringal
islandiver
Rosa Venus
suegarn
Lady Otter Latté
brigitte
hickton
Carry Bean
CanuckBob
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Prepare for the British invasion - Page 2 Empty Re: Prepare for the British invasion

Post by brigitte Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:17 pm

jesus, scotch eggs another healthy one.. That was one of my landlady favorite things to make along withrostbeef and yorkshire pudding on Sunday and scones and cucumber sandwiches for tea of course..
Actually I enjoyed the scones and cucumberer sandwiches circa Birmingham 1967

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Prepare for the British invasion - Page 2 Empty Re: Prepare for the British invasion

Post by slainte39 Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:11 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I'm just hoping one of them comes and opens an authentic fish & chips place.......jaja.

Let me weigh in with an Irish opinion.
Every time I return from Ireland I can't even look at "fish and chips" here for 6 months. Any one familiar with Burdock's or Beshoff's and scores of other pubs and chippers, will know what I'm talking about.  Until they figure out how to import North Atlantic cod or haddock...forget it.  The tilapia and dorado (mahi mahi), they use here, just don't cut it. The fishing limits on cod has reduced the availability for some periods of the year in Ireland so the chances of getting any here are  nil.
Ismet at Gossip's knows how to fry it, (oil temp., batter), but all he can use is tilapia, the rest of the so called providers of fish and chips don't even have the preparation down pat, let alone the right kind of fish.
There is some kind of fish here called  bacalao that only translates to cod in a dictionary.  lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:33 am

I was born in England and my first recollections (about age 3) are of German Bombers over our house on the way to bomb either Coventry (War vehicle manufacturing) or the British War Communications centre in Woodhouse Eaves just 2 miles from my house. Yes we found bomb fragments locally. I love English F&C. They are hard to find in NA. I also like deep fried black pudding.

I have cooked Tons (literately) of Haddock Fish and Chips for both a Moose Lodge and a Canadian Legion in Canada and never had a complaint. At the Moose Lodge we served about 150 people on a Friday evening and at the Legion we served at least 400 on Fridays.

The problem here is that the restaurants try to fry fish from frozen or nearly so. Fish must not be frozen (or be fully defrosted) to cook good Fish and Chips but a restaurant cannot know how many F&C dinners will be served each day so they have no alternative but to start from frozen. SO! bad F&C.

If a restaurant decided to run a Friday F&C night and used fresh fish they would have a great following. The volume is too low here to just have F&C on the everyday menu. Make it a special night.

I would be more than willing to train a restaurant to do it properly.

BTW Hickton; "All Be It" is spelled Albeit (one word) in English. From one Englishman to another. Google it!
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:27 am

Well at least they gave some of the negatives at the end of the article.  Although after coming back from Jamaica we both commented to each other about good to be back to normal driving Laugh out loud. Its all relative.

Real scones and Porter I miss here.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:15 am

You lived in Coventry? I also taught school in Nuneaton near Coventry..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Dave P....you got it right on fish and chips, but there is one thing I disagree with....the black pudding from Clonakilty, County Cork is the best in the world (Irish prejudice). Very Happy
BTW are you old enough to remember when Lady Godiva was riding around those parts of the world of your childhood? LOL

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:50 pm

Its got to be cod. . Have seen frozen greenland cod for sale in h.e.b. .also beer battered frozen cod in superlake.  for emergency purposes only . local black pudding available here but not the same as uk.
A good irish brekky and a guiness is a great hangover cure.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:57 pm

My GOd I had forgotten about Lady Godiva!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:05 pm

hickton wrote:Its got to be cod. . Have seen frozen greenland cod for sale in h.e.b. .also beer battered frozen cod in superlake.  for emergency purposes only . local black pudding available here but not the same as uk.
A good irish brekky and a guiness is a great hangover cure.

Yep, cod it is, haddock is the first line of backup and some pubs on the south coast of Ireland use plaice as a sub when they can't get cod.
Most good paddys don't know or need a hangover cure as it requires getting sober first. Evil or Very Mad

BTW....for my Brit friends on this board.....I shudder at the title of this thread....When they did that (the invasion) of our Island, it took us 700 years to get rid of them.....but now they come back as tourists and spend their money, so now we like them, even the Queen.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:00 pm

But when The Beatles did it, it changed R&R forever......

BTW...halibut makes for excellent battered fish too..
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:33 pm

brigitte wrote:You lived in Coventry? I also taught school in Nuneaton near Coventry..

Woodhouse Eaves is about 7 miles from Leicester and about 40-50 miles ATCF from Coventry. The route from Germany went right over our house.

ATCF= As The Crow Flies

DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:22 pm

CanuckBob wrote:But when The Beatles did it, it changed R&R forever......

Is the only good fish frozen around here? What about any of that fresh caught fish out of the biggest lake in MX?

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:59 pm

Have another Playa.......... Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

The manatee's have eaten them all.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:04 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Have another Playa.......... Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

NO DRINKING TODAY. Everything is "dry" on election day.

Chapala Carp and Chips?

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:39 pm

My wife and I are Brits we'll be invading your village this Friday...

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:52 pm

sorry but 2 brits does not qualify as an invasions..now hundrerds and hundreds that is another thing..
Hope you have a great time.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:00 pm

brigitte wrote:sorry but 2 brits does not qualify as an invasions..now hundrerds and hundreds that is another thing..
Hope you have a great time.

Spoken like a true member of the French Resistance. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:26 am

Playaboy wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:But when The Beatles did it, it changed R&R forever......

Is the only good fish frozen around here?  What about any of that fresh caught fish out of the biggest lake in MX?  

At one time a very well thought of whitefish was fished out of the lake and exported. Todays fresh fish sold in Ajijic by vendors door to door consists of Carp and Talapia and some small fish like smelt.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:02 am

The former restaurant at the Ajijic Pier used to sell charales from the lake.  Little sardine size fish, coated in batter whole then deep fried.  Crunchy treats.  Also saw them in Jocotopec on weekends from vendors at the malecon, but I gave up my car and it's been 2 years since I've been there.

Any charales around nowadays in Ajijic or Chapala?

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:20 am

All over the place in Chapala on the malecón. Who knows, a little tarter sauce and malt vinegar. . .Charales n' Chips!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2