INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local roads in Ajijic

+20
Gamina
itsme
Carry Bean
SunshineyDay
suegarn
Rosa Venus
RVGRINGO
gringal
Stillwaters
Sideways
gvprod
Playaboy
Flamingo
brigitte
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
David
MexicoPete
SunFan
CanuckBob
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Local roads in Ajijic  Empty Local roads in Ajijic

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:16 pm

If the municipality is serious about the roads in Ajijic they should redo all the main thorough fares like Colon or Revolucion. Continually fixing potholes with rocks and sand is a waste of time. They should have at least 5 north/ south roads and 3 east/west roads  done in the cemented stones or the pavers.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Local roads in Ajijic  Empty Re: Local roads in Ajijic

Post by SunFan Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:26 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Those who think the cobblestones are "historic" and provide ambience are probably not paying for suspension repairs.

As well there's the tripping hazard for old fellers like Bob who walk home at midnight after a visit to El Barco.

I have travelled to several towns in Mexico of similar size and see much better sidewalks and roadways than we experience in Chapala and Ajijic.

I suspect I'll get rebukes from those who will call me entitled for trying to impose "modern" values on historic traditions but there's nothing romantic about city streets in serious disrepair.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:04 pm

I have seen them out repairing Colon and Juarez . I have seen the rocks, sand and gravel. But don't they need to add cement to the mixture to make it last longer?

I don't know. An expert about fixing cobble stone roads, I am NOT
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Unless they use cement with the stones the sand will just wash away. Tear it up and put in flagstone or pavers like they have done in many "Pueblo Magicos" around Mexico. Cobblestones (actually just rocks) are cheap and ineffective. Chapala has redone a few of their previously cobblestoned streets in pavers.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:50 pm

I agree, pavers would be much better, and no loss of "charm."
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:57 pm

The flagstone streets in Mazamitla are quite nice too.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:32 pm

It would be an improvement. But we're assuming:
*The muni gives a . . . - I mean cares.
*They would be willing to part with the pesos to complete it. In this lifetime, or at least the lifetime of the mayor's reign.
*That they are serious about roads in Ajijic.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Well, when you put it THAT way....
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:39 pm

I guess it depends on the flagstones but we have flagstones in San Cristobal de las Casas and they are the most dangerous sidewalks I knw when it rains With age they become extremely slippery and accidents here happen all the times. The doctor was telling us how many people badly hurt themselves and kill themselves because of the sidewalks made of flagstone.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Please keep in mind that repairing a street with pavers, and making it more accessible, is not nearly as sexy as building a big lake museum and amusement park that you can have a zillion photo ops in front of.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:00 am

Where is the money going to come from? Property taxes? We get the government services for the tax rates we pay here.

If the land owners of Ajijic are serious about wanting the village streets repaired, form a special district and tax yourselves to pay for it.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:05 am

Playaboy wrote:Where is the money going to come from?  Property taxes? We get the government services for the tax rates we pay here.

I don't.

Like hundreds of other property owners here at Lakeside who live in Fraccionamientos we pay for our own services (water, roads, garbage collection, etc..) through homeowner maintenance fees.

We also pay the full amount of municipal property taxes which provides us with nothing more than policing. We all know how much that is worth.

With all the staff on the payroll stamping 10 photocopies of documents and applying hologram stickers if there was a will there would be better streets in our towns. It's clearly what will get the incumbent re-elected. Just like NOB.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:31 am

SunFan, I paid 7000 pesos in property tax, $400 USD.  That nothing amount is why we get no services from government.  In California, with prop 13 keeping my taxes low, I would be paying 5 times that amount.  

We have homes in the same Fracc. We pay for our good roads, good water, and reliable trash pickup with our HOA fees.  Our Fracc  does a decent job and give us what we pay for.

I would guess that the residents of Ajijic pay the same ridiculously low property taxes rates.  That is why they don't get much in services from government.  Let Ajijic residents tax themselves to pay for their road improvements just like we do by paying HOA's.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:41 am

So how do they get these good roads in places like Mazamitla, Patzcuaro, Paracho and just about every other touristy town I have visited in a 4 hour radius from here?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:43 am

Oh I forgot Tequila, Magdalena and Santa Maria del Oro.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:03 am

Here on the east coast, ultimately tourists pay for most everything we get from government. There are many public works project around here.

Maybe the towns you listed attract more tourists than Chapala, which attracts more businesses (more jobs) the government can tax.

Who is the biggest business (taxing source) in Chapala? Wal-Mart?

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:21 am

Most of the cobblestone streets in Ajijic are made more than 50 years old. Back in the days, the people who laid cobblestone knew what they where doing, AND they used good quality stone and materials..
Today none of that happens. Complaints have been made to Chapala regarding the materials used to fix the streets, falling of deaf ears. I won't get into the politics of why.....but..Chapala will always look out for Chapala first, Chapala second and Chapala third. Sadly many Ajijic folks that are in the Chapala ayuntamiento follow that rule, and have forgotten about their their little town. I for one love the cobblestone, AND if the repairs were done correctly the streets would be better. I think the sidewalks are a totally different story. Don't get me started on this issue.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 am

The cobbles keep the speeds down.  As a pedestrian I appreciate that most drivers driving slow for suspension reasons, make it easier and safer for me to cross streets in Ajijic.   If roads are made smooth, it will make it even less pedestrian friendly than it already is.  In the end they will end up adding topes to control the speed-up that is inevitable.  And then everyone will want to do away with the topes.  

I say keep the cobbles.  But yes to fixing them as SIMAPA used to do routinely prior to each and every rainy season.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:37 am

I would rather have smooth roads and topes.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stillwaters Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 am

I seem to remember that quite a few of the businesses on some streets in the village were not happy when work was done that involved filling in the gaps with cement. This caused problems in the rainy season as the gaps between the cobblestones allow a certain amount of drainage and prevent it becoming even more of a raging river after a heavy downpour. But I agree about having smoother roads. Revolucion, north of the careterra is like a roller coaster in some sections.

Stillwaters

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am

In San Miguel, the pavers were treacherous in the rainy season. They were better for cars, but not for pedestrians.

I'm with those who wish they would just do the job with quality methods that don't go to hell before the season is over.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:37 am

Playaboy wrote:I would guess that the residents of Ajijic pay the same ridiculously low property taxes rates.  That is why they don't get much in services from government.  Let Ajijic residents tax themselves to pay for their road improvements just like we do by paying HOA's.

Surely you not suggesting that if property taxes were to say double, we would see a corresponding increase in public services?

The house I own was built by Pedro Arreyano 10 years ago for the then departing Chapala Presinente. He was going to pay for it from the municipal coffers as he left office. That's how things work here.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:47 am

CanuckBob wrote:So how do they get these good roads in places like Mazamitla, Patzcuaro, Paracho and just about every other touristy town I have visited in a 4 hour radius from here?

It requires more stable ground than at Lake Chapala, especially in low lying areas where the ground is also just old beach. It would also require complete updating of the water, drainage and sewerage infrastructure below the streets, before building up a few feet of sub-structure for the final pavement. Even then, success is doubtful. The area goes from wet season to dry season with the accompanying swelling and shrinking of the powerful clay content of the soils, as well as frequent small earthquakes; all bad news for good streets along the shore and up to the foot of the mountains, where the sub-structure is basically rather loose boulders. Remember San Juan Cosalá?

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Well I'm not sure about all that however Revolucion and Colon ( the only two decent street)s are doing just fine. As are the streets they have recently redone in Chapala.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:17 pm

San Antonio also has better streets than Ajijic.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next